Windows 10: Backup program restored files that I can't find

Discus and support Backup program restored files that I can't find in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The bottom line: Files backed up, then restored from HP's built-in backup/restore recovery partition program can't be searched or seen or found after a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RickNCN, Aug 29, 2019.

1. RickNCN Win User

Backup program restored files that I can't find

The bottom line: Files backed up, then restored from HP's built-in backup/restore recovery partition program can't be searched or seen or found after a restore.
    ======================================
    I used HP backup utility built in to the recovery partition on an 8 month old HP Pavilion 590-p0050 to backup everything on a user's PC before I reloaded it using the recovery partition. (I believe WIndows 10 update f-ed it up and after booting only displayed a blank black screen).
    -I watched it back up files from User\Pictures\*dates*\*photo names*.jpg... etc.
    -I watched it restore said files as the restore program wrote files back to the drive - it displayed file names and paths as it went
    -after restore, going to C:\Users\*username*\... It was blank. No subfolders.
    -I searched in Explorer using "*.jpg*" and it showed a ton of jpgs from system folders it backed up like "Program Files (x86)"... etc, but it showed no results from the User folder.
    -The backup was 9+GB of *.swm files (apparently HP's backup archive files)
    -The restore was 4+GB of files
    -Thinking the user maybe stopped the restore part way, I deleted the \restore\ folder to start a new restore - as I watched Explorer delete files, I see his pictures go flying by as they are deleted!
    -I paused the delete and started searching for the file names that were coming up- since they were in a consecutive format, if "file_0050.jpg" was just deleted, I searched for "file_*.jpg" or "file_0051.jpg" ... etc and NOTHING. I did this several times and couldn't ever find any files in the format that was just being deleted before my eyes!
    -So, now I'm restoring once again, into a different folder and I am seeing his User\Pictures\*.jpg files getting restored.

And yes, I enabled viewing hidden files.

What in the actual hairy f-ing frittatas is going on?

Backup program restored files that I can't find [​IMG]

file "100_..... .jpg" should be right there in the middle of the search window

Backup program restored files that I can't find [​IMG]
    This is my 2nd restore attempt. There are his Pictures - in his user folder getting restored. I looked for them, there is nothing under his USER folder *at all*.
    TIA!!

:)

RickNCN, Aug 29, 2019
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Aug 29, 2019
  3. Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Aug 29, 2019
  4. twilyth Win User

Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Backup program restored files that I can't find - Similar Threads - Backup program restored

2. Backup program restored files that I can't find

in Browsers and Email
    Backup program restored files that I can't find: The bottom line: Files backed up, then restored from HP's built-in backup/restore recovery partition program can't be searched or seen or found after a restore. ====================================== I used HP backup utility built in to the recovery partition on an 8 month...
  3. Restoring Program Files folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Program Files folder: Hello, So if i were to uninstall a program via add or remove programs and then deleted the application folder that windows 10 leaves behind after uninstalling the application in the program files or the program files (x86) folder, would system restore revert those changes as...
  4. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...
  5. Backup and restore

Backup and restore: Hi, How and when would you use backup and restore on the IT systems using the windows 10 operating system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/backup-and-restore/bd662f36-c19a-44cd-b2ca-8c5d1a49ef60
  6. Backup and Restore Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Files: Hello and niceday to everyone. just joined this win10forum. I just finished upgrading from my win7 to this free win10Pro upgrade from microsoft, since yesterday everything works as normal and better than the previous win7. First thing I did after completing updates and...
  7. Restored told it to save files buy can't find them

Restored told it to save files buy can't find them: Computer would not boot and gave an error 0xc000000f Let computer do a factory restore and it gave me the option to save personal files so I chose that. However, now I can't find any of the files. Any help would be much appreciated. Please talk to me like the...
  8. Can't backup a specific file

Can't backup a specific file: I just bought a WD My Passport Ultra and it comes with a copy of WD Backup. Never using backup software I decided to give it a try and see what happens. I had no problems at all until I ended up with a message "These files failed to back up: UPPS.bin, 15.77kb". so I decided...
  9. Can't find downloaded program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find downloaded program: Hello, I downloaded a program (Skype) and I can't find it. I would like to add it to my start menu but I am not sure how to find it to do that. Can anyone help? Thanks, SuzanTN Tags: windows 10, software, cach go bo phan mem 23748
  10. Restore recent files for programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore recent files for programs: I dunno what I did to disable it but I tried restoring recent folders,ect but it never re enabled the recent list for each program in their context menu on the task bar. Is there an easy registry file thing available to re enable it? Running creators update thats fully up to...