Windows 10: Backup program restored files that I can't find

Discus and support Backup program restored files that I can't find in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; The bottom line: Files backed up, then restored from HP's built-in backup/restore recovery partition program can't be searched or seen or found after a... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by RickNCN, Aug 29, 2019.

1. RickNCN Win User

Backup program restored files that I can't find

The bottom line: Files backed up, then restored from HP's built-in backup/restore recovery partition program can't be searched or seen or found after a restore.
    ======================================
    I used HP backup utility built in to the recovery partition on an 8 month old HP Pavilion 590-p0050 to backup everything on a user's PC before I reloaded it using the recovery partition. (I believe WIndows 10 update f-ed it up and after booting only displayed a blank black screen).
    -I watched it back up files from User\Pictures\*dates*\*photo names*.jpg... etc.
    -I watched it restore said files as the restore program wrote files back to the drive - it displayed file names and paths as it went
    -after restore, going to C:\Users\*username*\... It was blank. No subfolders.
    -I searched in Explorer using "*.jpg*" and it showed a ton of jpgs from system folders it backed up like "Program Files (x86)"... etc, but it showed no results from the User folder.
    -The backup was 9+GB of *.swm files (apparently HP's backup archive files)
    -The restore was 4+GB of files
    -Thinking the user maybe stopped the restore part way, I deleted the \restore\ folder to start a new restore - as I watched Explorer delete files, I see his pictures go flying by as they are deleted!
    -I paused the delete and started searching for the file names that were coming up- since they were in a consecutive format, if "file_0050.jpg" was just deleted, I searched for "file_*.jpg" or "file_0051.jpg" ... etc and NOTHING. I did this several times and couldn't ever find any files in the format that was just being deleted before my eyes!
    -So, now I'm restoring once again, into a different folder and I am seeing his User\Pictures\*.jpg files getting restored.

And yes, I enabled viewing hidden files.

What in the actual hairy f-ing frittatas is going on?

Backup program restored files that I can't find [​IMG]

file "100_..... .jpg" should be right there in the middle of the search window

Backup program restored files that I can't find [​IMG]
    This is my 2nd restore attempt. There are his Pictures - in his user folder getting restored. I looked for them, there is nothing under his USER folder *at all*.
    TIA!!

:)

RickNCN, Aug 29, 2019
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Aug 29, 2019
  3. Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Aug 29, 2019
  4. twilyth Win User

Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Backup program restored files that I can't find - Similar Threads - Backup program restored

2. I can't restore my data backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't restore my data backup: Hi,I made a backup of my data then did a clean win 10 install. Now I can't restore the backup because apparently I don't have enough disk space in desktop. How can I restore to the original locations?I know the original locations were on another instalation but just restoring...
  3. I can't get my "backup and restore window 7" to find the restore file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't get my "backup and restore window 7" to find the restore file: I needed to send in my computer for repairs, so I backed up my windows 11 computer by creating a system repair disc on an external hard drive through the "backup and restore windows 7" function under System and Security. I now have the computer back and wiped of all its...
  4. I can't get my "backup and restore window 7" to find the restore file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't get my "backup and restore window 7" to find the restore file: I needed to send in my computer for repairs, so I backed up my windows 11 computer by creating a system repair disc on an external hard drive through the "backup and restore windows 7" function under System and Security. I now have the computer back and wiped of all its...
  5. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup: After a recent win 10 update completely immobilized my hard drive, I was forced to backup the drive from a saved image. The system restored fine, but when I try to restore my files backed up through File History, I get into an endless loop of identifying the drive with the...
  6. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup: After a recent win 10 update completely immobilized my hard drive, I was forced to backup the drive from a saved image. The system restored fine, but when I try to restore my files backed up through File History, I get into an endless loop of identifying the drive with the...
  7. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Trying to find the log from a restore files from backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to find the log from a restore files from backup: So I completed this week a restore from backup, but because it didnt want to put all of the files in their original places it told me which which needed to put somewhere else by doing a second system restore. I think I got all of them but I am trying to find where the...
  9. Backup program restored files that I can't find

in Windows 10 Support
    Backup program restored files that I can't find: The bottom line: Files backed up, then restored from HP's built-in backup/restore recovery partition program can't be searched or seen or found after a restore. ====================================== I used HP backup utility built in to the recovery partition on an 8 month...
  10. Backup and Restore Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Files: Hello and niceday to everyone. just joined this win10forum. I just finished upgrading from my win7 to this free win10Pro upgrade from microsoft, since yesterday everything works as normal and better than the previous win7. First thing I did after completing updates and...