Windows 10: Backup recommendation: Documents from C: to E:, then backup D: to E:

Discus and support Backup recommendation: Documents from C: to E:, then backup D: to E: in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am embarrassed to ask this basic question, but one day the train blew by me and i am still standing on the platform... Running W10 Preview, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by brucemc777, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Backup recommendation: Documents from C: to E:, then backup D: to E:

I am embarrassed to ask this basic question, but one day the train blew by me and i am still standing on the platform...

Running W10 Preview, so whatever is the latest release.

I finally got a new 1TB HDD and wish to properly implement back-ups of my files.

I have:
    • C: a 500GB SSD
    • D: a 1TB HDD, and
    • E: a 1TB HDD
    C: has my OS and also all of the "Documents"
    D: Has Pictures, Music, Videos and a lot of misc material.

I want to first back up all of "Documents" to E:, then everything from D: to E:

This will still leave me with about 50GB space on E:

I don't really see how to accomplish this with the backup built into W10, though, admittedly, i get confused rather easily, and am looking for what the least expensive, hopefully free, software that you folks could recommend that will accomplish this as simply as possible, from the standpoints of configuration, automation and economy of work (not recursively copying the same files over every time it runs, and keeping from taking up resources while i am trying to work).

I appreciate your thoughts and knowledge!

:)

brucemc777, Mar 12, 2019

2. Windows Backup

I have two internal hard drives in my laptop:

• C on which is the OS and the program files
    • D onto which I store all my data - photos, Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PDF files, etc.

I use the in-built Windows 10 backup program to backup the D drive to an external hard drive E.

When I compare what is on the E drive, after a backup, with what is on the D drive (and has been selected for backing up), some folders are missing from the E drive, that is they have not been backed up, even though they were selected for backup.

This problem occurs both when:

• I select just the entire D drive (not individual folders) for backup and
    • when I manually select each individual folder on the D drive for backup (tedious)

LionelJohnson1, Mar 12, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Cheap automatic backup for My Documents

Then use the Robocopy command. Here is the bat file I use to backup my data:

Code: @ECHO. @ECHO Backing Up @ECHO. @robocopy C:\Users\Administrator\Documents C:\Backup\Documents /MIR /ZB >> log.txt @ECHO. @ECHO Success! @Pause[/quote] This will only backup files that are new or changed, so after the first backup, it is a lot quicker than recopying every file every time you backup. Also if you delete a file from your documents folder, say because you don't need it anymore, it will be removed from the backup location also.

newtekie1, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Backup recommendation: Documents from C: to E:, then backup D: to E:

Cheap automatic backup for My Documents

[/quote]This will only backup files that are new or changed, so after the first backup, it is a lot quicker than recopying every file every time you backup. Click to expand... What is the advantage of robocopy over xcopy?

PVTCaboose1337, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Backup recommendation: Documents from C: to E:, then backup D: to E:

1. Backup recommendation: Documents from C: to E:, then backup D: to E: - Similar Threads - Backup recommendation Documents

2. My partitions E and D disappeared!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My partitions E and D disappeared!: hi guys yesterday I was looking at my files and noticed that partition E and D were gone. I thought they didn't load properly so I just restarted my laptop. Still nothing. I checked the disk management and nothing they were not even hidden or unlocated. [ATTACH] I have...
  3. D and E drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D and E drives: Hi all, can anyone enlighten me as to why my D or E drives don't work, I want to copy some tracks onto my OC then burn them to another disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-and-e-drives/6cf8b911-ce0d-4e4e-a023-019f7c54a140
  4. How to change E Drive to D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change E Drive to D: On my Windows 10 Surface I have attached two extra separate hard drives via USB cables. For the last 12 months one was D: the other G:. Now they show up as E: and G: I have lots of links to files on my D: drive. How do I rename this E: back to D:?...
  5. Made error in setting backup to Dive E:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Made error in setting backup to Dive E:: I made an error in setting backup to drive E: My questions are as follow - is it possible to switch it to Drive C: instead? -how to set up a full system backup into the same laptop. I believe it is call Drive (C:). Can it be done?...
  6. Backup drive e

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup drive e: I have inserted a formatted DVD+RW disk in my drive e on my hp pavilion all-in-one. When in settings>backup>add a device it states not usable device found. How can I get it to find my drive e to use the disk as a daily backup for my files?...
  7. Recommend backup software for 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recommend backup software for 10: Hi ... I'm curious if anyone is using a backup software with windows 10 ? And, if so which are you using ? I always been a Acronis True Image user but their latest version 2015 I really hate the whole interface of it . I did try it out but it has fail when I try to restore an...
  8. Backup strategy recommendations

Backup strategy recommendations: A friend has asked me for help in setting up a backup strategy for her computer. I am way out of date on the best practices in this area. It's a desktop computer currently running Windows 7 but she wants to bring it up to date with Windows 10 so I'm looking for a good backup...
  9. Documents Backup advice

Documents Backup advice: Can anyone suggest a simple to use free programme to backup my documents folder to an external drive. Just a simple copy all documents and then any changes to the backed up folder, every hour. There seems so many to choose from and to be honest I am no computer expert and...
  10. Recommendation for image backup software

Recommendation for image backup software: Hi All, Just wondering what image backup software do you recommend? I've been using Acronis 2016 and I've had a couple of minor niggles with it lately and am thinking about changing. I would prefer something with a small footprint and an easy to use interface. 25307