Windows 10: Backup & repair disk of PC with external HDD

Discus and support Backup & repair disk of PC with external HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Suppose want to create a System Image ISO and a repair disk or thumb drive for a Windows 10 PC that has an external drive containing data that doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jagerEd, May 9, 2021.

1. jagerEd Win User

Backup & repair disk of PC with external HDD

Suppose want to create a System Image ISO and a repair disk or thumb drive for a Windows 10 PC that has an external drive containing data that doesn't need to be backed backed up. Should I disconnect the external drive before the doing the backup & repair disk and then reconnect afterwards?Suppose I disconnected the external drive for the backup/restore drive creation, then there comes a time when I need to use the ISO or the repair disk. What will happen if I forget to reconnect the external drive? Seems to me that the repair disk wouldn't work.

:)

jagerEd, May 9, 2021

2. Windows 10 Restore from Backup fails for a 2TB external HDD

Hi Frank,

I realize that it must be difficult for you when things are not working as it should. Sorry to know that you are facing this issue. I will try to help you with this issue.

Plug in the external drive into another pc and run check disk on the external HDD to check if that helps.

If the other pc has Windows 10 installed, then follow the steps suggested by “Alan Russell” from this thread.

CHKDSK Windows 10

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found, then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, May 9, 2021
  3. Steve C Win User
    SSD, HDD installation and backup strategy

I do this:

1. Create a separate backup partition on your HDD and use this to make frequent images of your system on drive C. I do this to avoid the need to backup this partition on drive D.
    2. Backup the system on drive C and your user files on the HDD to an external hard disk
    3. Use file history to copy your user files to the external drive.

You will then have 2 back up storage locations for your system backups and your user files. Also, consider making a further full backup to another external HDD stored in another location and not normally connected to the PC in case of ransomware attack or your house burning down!

Steve C, May 9, 2021
  4. Backup & repair disk of PC with external HDD

No access to external HDD

Just over a week ago I posted the below problem of inability to access my external HDD. I had one response from someone who asked me to send a mailshot of my Disk Management. This failed on my first attempt but was successful on the second. Despite
    sending him/her a reminder I have heard nothing further. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND A POSSIBLE SOLUTION AS I CANNOT DO ANY BACKUPS!

I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 and use Macrium Reflect for my scheduled backups

to an external HDD housed in a caddy. Recently the backups have failed four times

due to an error "the semaphore timeout period has expired". Despite trying various

suggestions to fix from Google - no luck! Now I have no access to my external HDD

as the drive cannot be seen in ‎File Explorer. Your help for a fix will be greatly

appreciated.

Peternosmas, May 9, 2021
Thema:

Backup & repair disk of PC with external HDD

1. Backup & repair disk of PC with external HDD - Similar Threads - Backup repair disk

2. Backup not working to external hdd anymore? Why

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup not working to external hdd anymore? Why: I want to backup my whole c drive so I can do a fresh start on my pc for work without losing all my other files. I used the windows backup tool in the past and the file history was fine. I deleted that folder off my hdd and have been trying for 2 days to backup the whole...
  3. Automatic backup of OneDrive-folders to external HDD

Automatic backup of OneDrive-folders to external HDD: I have my OneDrive-folders saved localy on my computer, but I also have an external HDD connected to my router for backups. Using the build-in backup feature in Windows I can't get it to actually backup the content in THE OneDrive-folders to the external HDD. Is there a way...
  4. Trouble making a backup to an external HDD

Trouble making a backup to an external HDD: I'm making a backup of my files to an external HDD I bought recently. Both my SSD and HDD are the same size, but Windows is saying there's not enough space. And the space that's already being taken up is already larger than what's on my SSD. Any help?...
  5. HDD failure with no backup disks

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    HDD failure with no backup disks: My Hp Laptop was dropped and my HDD is beyond repair. I want to purchase a new SSD but I don't have my activation key. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-failure-with-no-backup-disks/b50eaec0-2fbf-414f-81e2-142d63637a43
  6. Backup files to external disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup files to external disk: Please help me to find out how can I do this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-files-to-external-disk/586ed305-b89e-43aa-b8ee-1992efd895ac
  7. OneDrive or External HDD for backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    OneDrive or External HDD for backup?: I'm trying to keep subscription costs and/or hardware costs down, so I would like to find a backup strategy that doesn't involve both, or at least doesn't cost too much. I would like to do daily / weekly incremental backups, and image my drive once a month or so. From what...
  8. Backup to external HDD on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to external HDD on network: My PC OS is Windows 10 v17763. The OS is installed on a SSD drive. D, E and F SATA drives are also on the computer. The PC is connected by Ethernet to a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router by ethernet. A 4Tb external HDD is connected to the Netgear router by USB. This drive is...
  9. backup on external hdd on router

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup on external hdd on router: i have an external hdd on my router and i want to make a system image backup there, but i can't find it when i have to choose a network location. what should i do?...
  10. which external backup disk for win 10 PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    which external backup disk for win 10 PC: HP I see that this one is the right capacity for me for now, but are there others that are plug and play WITHOUT needing to download something? Bipra 160GB 2.5 inch USB 2.0 FAT32 Pocket Size Slim External ... don't need 1T this capacity will be fine, Will I have to...