Windows 10: Backup/restore current OS with DISM to different drive same PC

Discus and support Backup/restore current OS with DISM to different drive same PC in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I want to copy the "Windows" partition from one drive to another drive inside same computer/laptop. I made a wim image with dism, and applied on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by uDev, Aug 23, 2019.

1. uDev Win User

Backup/restore current OS with DISM to different drive same PC

I want to copy the "Windows" partition from one drive to another drive inside same computer/laptop.

I made a wim image with dism, and applied on the another drive's partition, also added entry for
    boot to Windows's boot manager. The source drive has SATA3, target drive has NVME connection.

After booting on target drives, after login screen everything blinking, like a window form get/loose focus
    quickly, cannot type/click related to this effect.

If I apply the wim image to another SATA3 drive, everything works fine, booting and working perfectly.

Could anyone tell me what should I change/remove in the WIM file to fix this error? I suspect some registry
    change fix this problem.

I don't want to use disk cloning tool or doing Sysprep on original OS.

:)

2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Aug 23, 2019
  3. Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Aug 23, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Backup/restore current OS with DISM to different drive same PC [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Aug 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Backup/restore current OS with DISM to different drive same PC - Similar Threads - Backup restore current

2. How to restore system immage to different drive on same pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore system immage to different drive on same pc: Dear Sir/MadamHelloI have win11 23H2 insatlled on ssd disk1, how with system immage tool restore it on different ssd disk0 on same pcalso tried to make system immage on usb flash, system responded the devie is not a valid backup locationattached screenshutsThank youOsama Ali...
  3. How to restore system immage to different drive on same pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore system immage to different drive on same pc: Dear Sir/MadamHelloI have win11 23H2 insatlled on ssd disk1, how with system immage tool restore it on different ssd disk0 on same pcalso tried to make system immage on usb flash, system responded the devie is not a valid backup locationattached screenshutsThank youOsama Ali...
  4. DISM and OS aren't the same version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM and OS aren't the same version: I'm running Windows 10 Home 21H2, Image Version: 10.0.19044.1645. When I try using DISM it says "Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.844". I have been reading up on using the tools built into the system because I have been having a variety of...
  5. DISM and OS aren't the same version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM and OS aren't the same version: I'm running Windows 10 Home 21H2, Image Version: 10.0.19044.1645. When I try using DISM it says "Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.844". I have been reading up on using the tools built into the system because I have been having a variety of...
  6. DISM and OS aren't the same version

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Easiest way to reinstall OEM OS on different drive than current OS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Easiest way to reinstall OEM OS on different drive than current OS?: I have a desktop with several drives. I am prepping to sell to someone else. My pc was sold with Win10 Home I believe. I currently have Win10 Ed. My current Win10 Ed OS is currently identified as disk 3 , has my C drive and other system partitions. That drive I will remove...
  8. Different backup on the same drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Different backup on the same drive: Hi. Recently I bought a new computer, and I want to have on it a clean install instead of just cloning my old disk. So, in order to keep backups of both my old and my new computer, I bought an external hard drive. So I want to ask, is it possible using the default “backup...
  9. Restore Files from Backup of Different PC ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Files from Backup of Different PC ?: I have an external hard drive that has two sets of backups (using Win 7 Backup & Restore). One set of backups is for my current PC (running Win10 after upgrade from Win 7) and another set of backups is for my previous PC (running Win 7). I'd like to look for something in the...
  10. Backup and restore Win 10 drive to a different disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and restore Win 10 drive to a different disk: thanks very much guys. I started the backup process. Great. As an aside, it is a good idea to store a copy of any backup offline. Get a ransom attack - stick up fingers in a suitable gesture to ransomers, restore offline backup. Also, it is a good idea to go to Other...