Windows 10: Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup

Discus and support Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Trying to delete all backups from a drive. Now it says There are no data file backups for this computer on this drive. AND There are no system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by martix_bg, Jul 11, 2019.

1. martix_bg Win User

Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup

Trying to delete all backups from a drive.

Now it says

There are no data file backups for this computer on this drive.

AND

There are no system images for this computer on this drive.

And yet the Manage Space tool still reports a System image size of 50 GB.

How can I reclaim that space?

:)

martix_bg, Jul 11, 2019
  2. twilyth Win User

Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Jul 11, 2019
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Jul 11, 2019
  4. Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup

Size of Portal 2 Steam Backup?

As Slyfox said the backup was 11.3GB
    Currently on the laptop restoring the backup so I can continue this game *Smile Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup :)

Thanks everyone.

Black Panther, Jul 11, 2019
Thema:

Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup

1. Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup - Similar Threads - Backup Restore reports

2. Backup and restore Disc sizes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup and restore Disc sizes: In Windows 7, I learned the hard way that restoring a backup to a same sized replacement hard drive does not work. What does work is restoring the backup to a drive with a higher capacity. This is because of some obscure device requirement. The problem with this is that both...
  3. Backup and restore Disc sizes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and restore Disc sizes: In Windows 7, I learned the hard way that restoring a backup to a same sized replacement hard drive does not work. What does work is restoring the backup to a drive with a higher capacity. This is because of some obscure device requirement. The problem with this is that both...
  4. Backup and restore Disc sizes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Backup and restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore: So I am trying to use Windows backup and restore tool on my Sony Vaio laptop and I can't get it to work someone please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/82ca9cbf-e2a1-4116-83d7-002735c2c3be
  6. Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore: Why can't I run a system image backup on my new Windows 11 HP laptop. only 60 gb used on 476gb ssd? My external Hard drive has 841gb free, yet the back up stops saying there isn't enough room to create backup because of VSS doesn't have enough space? how much space does it...
  7. Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore: Windows backup failed. I am attaching screenshots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/7edd6d5a-3d6b-4840-a0af-eb95d5170697
  8. backup and restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup and restore: Why won't Windows 10 Backup and Restore Windows 7 backup to a usb flash drive and yet it will back up to a usb portable hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/102cb00f-7a92-443f-986c-01090b36d99d
  9. Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size: My backup process is to manually do a full system backup followed by periodic differential backups until the size of the differential backup gets too big. My question is how big is too big? My thinking (and this is just a guess) is that when the differential backup is about...
  10. Restoring backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring backup: Hi I have windows 10 installed on an SSD. I backup the entire SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. I now want to restore the windows 10 installation. Do I need to restore the entire SSD or can I just restore the C partition ? Whats the best way ? Thanks 27393