Windows 10: Backup second internal disk?

Discus and support Backup second internal disk? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I keep my user data on a separate internal hard disk, drive E. File History will not even recognize this second drive. So I tried using Backup and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BobPlantz, Jul 30, 2019.

1. BobPlantz Win User

Backup second internal disk?

I keep my user data on a separate internal hard disk, drive E.

File History will not even recognize this second drive.

So I tried using Backup and Restore (Windows 7). After churning away for an hour or so, it gave me the error message "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." Error code: 0x8007007B

I have ended up with files with names that begin with ":" that File Explorer will not delete. I suspect that is the problem. Is there a way of finding such files, other than a very time consuming trial and error with Backup and Restore (Windows 7).

Is there a chance that File History will ever be made right? I find it very frustrating that Microsoft does not provide a good tool for the second most important activity for maintaining a well-running computing environment -- backing up. The first most important activity is keeping up with system updates.

:)

BobPlantz, Jul 30, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

Converting an internal hard drive to an external backup

IDE can do 133MB/s

if he can find USB 3.0, go for it. i suggest a new drive + enclosure in one, just because it will be faster and more reliable. the 100GB drive can always be installed as an INTERNAL backup drive in the new machine anyway.

Mussels, Jul 30, 2019
  3. Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Jul 30, 2019
  4. geotso Win User

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Backup second internal disk? - Similar Threads - Backup second internal

2. Cannot backup my internal disk, it is "disconnected"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot backup my internal disk, it is "disconnected": Hello, I want to upgrade an old pc cloning the HDD with Win 7 license into an SSD, and then install Win 10. To do so, I would like to do a backup first, but in "Backup and restore" section the Backup option is not available. The internal disk results disconnected and I do not...
  3. Cannot backup my internal disk, it is "disconnected"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot backup my internal disk, it is "disconnected": Hello, I want to upgrade an old pc cloning the HDD with Win 7 license into an SSD, and then install Win 10. To do so, I would like to do a backup first, but in "Backup and restore" section the Backup option is not available. The internal disk results disconnected and I do not...
  4. Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner: I have 2 internal physical HDDs equally sized. Internal physical HDD #1 drive c:\ is for the Windows OS and existing programs etc. Drive #2, is the 2nd internal physical HDD drive E:\ is for Windows backups/restore points. I was hoping to also backup my personal data/files on...
  5. Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner: I have 2 internal physical HDDs equally sized. Internal physical HDD #1 drive c:\ is for the Windows OS and existing programs etc. Drive #2, is the 2nd internal physical HDD drive E:\ is for Windows backups/restore points. I was hoping to also backup my personal data/files on...
  6. Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Internal SSD icon is different that the other internal disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal SSD icon is different that the other internal disks: when i finished initializing the brand new drive it appears in "This PC" as drive with a disk on top of it , like a disk drive almost can someone explain this to me ? thanks...
  8. Internal disk write protected

Internal disk write protected: Windows was updated last night. After the mandatory reboot,when checking my drives I noticed that one of the internal drives was missing.I looked in the disk manager and there it was but it asked me to initialize it.I've never seen that before. Now I can access that disk,...
  9. Disk Backup

Disk Backup: I have a neighbor whos PC needs upgrading. Inside is an older HDD and I want to clone everything over to a new SSD. I have an external enclosure for the drive to connect via USB, but it only has one slot so I have no way of connecting both the SSD and the HDD to my desktop at...
  10. Can I backup to an internal drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I backup to an internal drive?: I am using Windows 10 with Dell that I purchased desktop that came with Windows 10. I back up my files to external hard drive without a problem but I want to back up my files to internal hard drive as well. Both. I just want to be safe. I click add driver but it didn't...