Windows 10: Backup single file in folder

Discus and support Backup single file in folder in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi Is there any simple way, not involving 3rd party software to get File History to backup a single file in a folder? I'm trying to backup the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by PoBear, Jul 6, 2017.

1. PoBear Win User

Backup single file in folder

Hi

Is there any simple way, not involving 3rd party software to get File History to backup a single file in a folder?

I'm trying to backup the Google Chrome bookmarks file, the file itself is about 1k but it's in a folder with 1Gb of files and I don't need to backup any of the others.

Thanks in advance.

:)

PoBear, Jul 6, 2017
  2. gimo2 Win User

Windows 10 Backup - 0 bytes

The problem is actually with the Backup software (File History) if MS is willing to admit it. I removed all folders from the folder list and added the Download Folder, and it worked, no problem. I then tried to add a single folder from the Documents folder,
    and it did not appear in the list of folders. I added the Documents folder, and then both appeared (the Documents folder and the Sub-Folder I had selected). The backup did not work anymore. I removed the Documents folder and backup still failed. I added the
    Documents folder and both Documents and the Sub-Folder re-appeared. I removed the Sub-Folder first and then removed the Documents folder, the backup worked. I added the Pictures folder and the backup again worked just fine.

So, the issue is that MS can't traverse the Documents folder properly. I can't even add a single folder from the Documents Folder because it will fail.

Bottom line, MS, Please fix your software. It must be able to identify issues in files or folders and report them, but it must continue with files and folders it can backup. We must be able to select a sub-folder to backup without having to select the top
    level folder (e.g. the case of the Documents folder and any of its sub-folder).

The File History log (Event Viewer) did show a file with an invalid character, but I fixed that file, but the problem still persisted.

gimo2, Jul 6, 2017
  3. "The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)" error preventing backup starting Windows 10

"The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)" error preventing backup starting Windows 10.
    This happens in all circumstances even when trying to backup a single folder located on a different drive from the system folder.

user_bamford, Jul 6, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Not worth install extra software to do this. Just copy the file to a flash drive and manually update every month by export in the bookmarks in Chrome to a importable file.

mrgeek, Jul 6, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Provided the destination is accessible (e.g. not an unplugged USB drive), you could write a small script file and create a schedule task to execute the script if you wish to automate it.

dalchina, Jul 6, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    I save my Google bookmarks file on Onedrive every month so I can share it across all my PCs. I know you can synch bookmarks in Google but I prefer to control my own backups.

Steve C, Jul 7, 2017
  7. Jeddie Win User
    I have a batch file that I run that backs up all my data including the Chrome bookmarks.
    This could suit the OP. Simply double click and it will copy all files to a USB drive.

Jeddie, Jul 7, 2017
  8. PoBear Win User

Thanks guys. I'm guessing from the replies that it confirms what I thought originally that there is no way to do this using File History directly.

PoBear, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup single file in folder - Similar Threads - Backup single file

2. Backup Software solutions to frequently backup a single folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup Software solutions to frequently backup a single folder: I have a remote weather station and a Windows 11 machine which runs the Weather station software and nothing else.I need a backup solution which will only backup the weather station data folder, and which will do it every 30 minutes in an incremental backup manner. If the...
  3. Backup Software solutions to frequently backup a single folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup Software solutions to frequently backup a single folder: I have a remote weather station and a Windows 11 machine which runs the Weather station software and nothing else.I need a backup solution which will only backup the weather station data folder, and which will do it every 30 minutes in an incremental backup manner. If the...
  4. backup files/folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    backup files/folders: I need to recover files/folders from backups performed by previous versions of Windows. I presently use Windows 10, and when I click on to select a folder, I get a message that the files/folders are not partitioned etc., and need to be fixed first. On Settings, it shows that...
  5. How to backup a single file on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to backup a single file on windows 10?: Hello I would like to know how to backup a single file, its a game save file, it does autosave every 10 min, but sometimes save file get corrupted, so i want to backup that save file as much as possible (every time it update or every few minutes, or at least every hour) So I...
  6. File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on....: File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on. Screen[ATTACH]Shot of Error Log Enclosed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-fails-to-backup-files-not-a-single/df51b595-feab-46ec-9440-c50d0d1fee2f
  7. Windows 10 SINGLE Backup file size?!?

Windows 10 SINGLE Backup file size?!?: Hi, I have been using Windows backup for years....but..this past year (Windows 10), I have noticed, when I go to Manage Windows Backup disk space Backup or restore your files / Manage space / View backups.../ Select a backup period to delete....there is always now only a...
  8. Backup my files and folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup my files and folders: Can someone Please explain to me in Layman's Terms the easiest way to backup my files and folders, I am 71 years old and find it difficult to sometimes grasp or follow windows instructions. I'm sure I need to be able to carry out this Task to keep myself safe from loosing my...
  9. File and Folder Backup

File and Folder Backup: Whenever I turn on my computer, I get messages: "file and folder backup missed a scheduled backup," "file and folder backup will start in [x] seconds," then "job cannot run because of invalid destination." How can I disable this whole process, so that I don't get these...
  10. Backup fails to backup files that are in a folder synchronized with OneDrive

Backup fails to backup files that are in a folder synchronized with OneDrive: Windows Backup seems to be working but it simply skips all files that are in a folder that synchronizes with OneDrive. All other files are backed up normally. I have reproduced this problem in three different laptops (all Windows 10 and latest Windows version). This problem...