Windows 10: Backup start menu tile layout

Discus and support Backup start menu tile layout in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, I have quite a few websites installed as fake apps via Microsoft Edge these days.I access all of these via pinned icons on the Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jmorgannz, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Backup start menu tile layout

Hi all,

I have quite a few websites installed as fake apps via Microsoft Edge these days.I access all of these via pinned icons on the Windows 10 start menu.

I've had issues before where a Windows 10 update or Edge update has wiped out these websites installed as fake apps, or removed them all from the start menu.

Does anyone know if there's an app to back up the start menu tile layout?Likewise something to backup which websites Edge has installed as apps?

I use a local user on all my PC's, I do not sync with Microsoft, and do not want to.

https://imgur.com/CTOji26

https://imgur.com/1yYjrFm

submitted by /u/jmorgannz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jmorgannz, Oct 17, 2020
  2. Jaune Bel Win User

How to reset the tile layout in the start menu

Hi,

We would like to know more about your concern with resetting the tile layout in the Start menu. Kindly answer the following:

• Is your computer connected in a domain?
    • Which build of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Have you tried the steps given by DaveM121 on a different user profile?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Jaune Bel, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Start menu tiles layout savefile?

Hello tin Welcome to the Ten Forums!

I hate to say this but.... There isn't actually any configuration file to find. You have the option to pin or unpin items to the Start tile area as you would on the main task bar. When going to make a few changes perhaps a slight pictorial at how to do things can help here!

Backup start menu tile layout [​IMG]

As always it looks a little clumsy with all the tiles that come pre-pinned and you would rather rearrange and possibly even resize things along with putting them into separate categories?! Have a look at how that would look instead of the first mess seen there.

A slight change of appearance wouldn't you say? And how is that done? First the Start tile area can be clicked and dragged to an extent in order to see that resized by clicking on and holding an edge either horizontal or vertical. First you may want to resize things like the tiles themselves if you are not looking to take up the entire screen.

Some like Edge will see the options for Large and Wide and when using Small things can be packed in rather tightly.

You will also notice that the entire area has been reshaped as mentioned before by clicking and grabbing the edge as seen in the lower right corner for vertical there. So we went from this....

to this in a matter of minutes!

And for something different from the default Windows automatically adjusts all we can change a few other things as well. How about the background? Transparent or Solid color or theme you choose or create?

For something like that or for the option of manually choosing a color for both taskbar and Start menu you have to turn something off in the Start>Settings>Personalization dept.

All this is done manually each time you run across the default tiles if you should happen to see any upgrade to repair install or reset action to bring 10 back to Square #1. Desktop themes and such are not stored in the same fashion seen in previous versions.

Night Hawk, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Ken Varn Win User

Backup start menu tile layout

App tiles disappeared from windows 10 start menu

I have come up with my own potential work-around for this problem. Unfortunately this doesn't help if your tiles have already been wiped-out, but it can be used as a preventative measure to repair start-tile layout before it is wiped-out. Note that you
    must have PowerShell available and enabled to run scripts.

Make a backup of your good start-menu layout as follows:

• Open an elevated PowerShell Command Prompt (run as administrator).
    • Type the following: Export-StartLayout -Path "StartMenuBackup.xml"
    • A backup of your start menu items will be saved to the file StartMenuBackup.xml. Keep this file.

In the event that your start-menu tiles are wiped-out after an update, you can restore them by using Group Policy Editor as follows:

• Run GPEDIT.MSC
    • Navigate to User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar
    • Open the Start Layout setting by double-clicking on it.
    • Select the "Enabled" radio button.
    • Type the path and name of the backup file you created above into the Start Layout File field.
    • Click on Apply
    • At this point, your tiles should get restored back to the state they were in when the backup was done. However, the tiles can't be edited further unless you select the "Not Configured" radio button and hit Apply again.

Ken Varn, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Backup start menu tile layout

1. Backup start menu tile layout - Similar Threads - Backup start menu

2. Start Tile Layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Tile Layout: This is about start menu customization that is on a "Golden Image" and pushed out to Horizon virtual desktops. Hopefully this is the best forum for it! When building my images I have always used powershell Export-StartLayout and Import-StartLayout in order to provide a custom...
  3. Backup Start Menu layout

Backup Start Menu layout: I do not know where to ask this question as none of the little drop down boxes has anything to do with the Start Menu. Question: Is there is any way to backup my start menu on my main Windows 10 computer so that I can use it on my other windows 10 machines. My main computer...
  4. Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10: Code: :: Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10 @Echo Off net sess>nul 2>&1||(powershell start cmd -ArgumentList """/c %~0""" -verb Runas & exit) Cls & Mode CON LINES=11 COLS=80 & Color 0E & Title Created By Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo Do You Want to Backup...
  5. Start menu layout / Live Tiles under the Admin account?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start menu layout / Live Tiles under the Admin account?: I am always running my system as a Standard User Account and sometimes when I need to test system settings I logon to my Admin account. However, on the Start menu layout, I left it as default, in other words, I have the Live Tiles showing up on the Start Menu Layout like...
  6. Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating

Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating: I tried customizing my Start menu - removing the tiles, that I didn't need and trying to add the ones that I wanted. After every restart it resets to the default one. It even displays the applications that I previously uninstalled. Also "My computer" cannot even be added...
  7. Start menu tiles layout savefile?

Start menu tiles layout savefile?: after updag win7 to win10 i immediately customized my start menu tiles and it looked really awesome while still being organised. After encountering numerous problems with poorly migrated programs i did a fresh install ( like a month ago) and havent been able to find that same...
  8. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  9. How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles)

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles): The old method that worked in 8.x and older 10 of the two files no longer works. Anybody know of a method? 7145
  10. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379