Windows 10: Backup strategy advice

Discus and support Backup strategy advice in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi there, I would like to ask some of you for advice on how to make better backups for my Windows 10 PC. Right now I have the file history tool set up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Bose321, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Backup strategy advice

Hi there, I would like to ask some of you for advice on how to make better backups for my Windows 10 PC. Right now I have the file history tool set up for important things like documents and such.

However, there's also some stuff that I don't need to be saved in multiple versions (right now file history stores all versions for 3 months long on my PC). I have a large Adobe Lightroom collection for example where I only want to store one copy of all images to save space. And there's a few other folders that I only need the latest version to be saved.

Ideally it should be a simple program that I run every week or whenever I want to, and it just saves the data in the place that I order it to.

In the past I've worked with SyncThing on my PC and my NAS, but after using a lot of folders I noticed it caused some slowdowns due to high HDD usage on my NAS, and I don't think it's really needed that my NAS also has to keep in track of what/where. My PC just should decide what to upload and the NAS is purely for storage then.

So being able to save it over a Samba share is a must so I can store stuff on my NAS.

I've looked at the Synology sync tool, but it seems heavily integrated in Windows and Explorer which I don't really like. I don't want to clog up my context menu and have many things running when I don't use it.

I read good stuff about Macrium Reflect Free, would that work for my usage? Haven't looked it up yet. I don't mind paying some cash if it's the perfect tool for me.

submitted by /u/Bose321
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Bose321, Nov 6, 2020

2. Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Nov 6, 2020
  3. FGD135 Win User
    Back up strategy

Hi

I have years of work accumulated on my Windows 7 computer in forest measurement spreadsheets. I back up every night to my cellphone, a zip drive, and a Western Digital external drive that's at least 15 years old.

I fear that when I have to make the move to Win 10 it won't recognize the external drive or the others.

Should I have a new backup strategy? An updated external drive or other device? The "cloud"?

Thanks for your advice.

FGD135, Nov 6, 2020
  4. CJCerny Win User

Backup strategy advice

First time strategy game recommendations

All the suggestions so far have been RTS games. I'll add Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander (the first one, not the second one) to that list.

If you want to try a turn-based strategy game, I suggest you start with some of the classics, like Civilization or X-COM or Master Of Magic or Master of Orion. Most of those, except for the earlier versions of Civilization, are available from GOG.COM or Steam. OpenTTD is also a cool game if you want to start with a freebie. They are older, for sure, but still great games. It does not take modern graphics with lots of explosions to make a great strategy game. You could even try the Chess game built into 7--gasp. It's not the strongest opponent, but it plays a decent game.

CJCerny, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

Backup strategy advice

1. Backup strategy advice - Similar Threads - Backup strategy advice

2. Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!: HiBit of a long start but I feel it's justified, as I hope you will see.I used Win7 and backed up by copying the Windows partition to another removable hard drive. Whenever Windows stopped working I could easily replace the non-working installation with the latest backup and...
  3. Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!: HiBit of a long start but I feel it's justified, as I hope you will see.I used Win7 and backed up by copying the Windows partition to another removable hard drive. Whenever Windows stopped working I could easily replace the non-working installation with the latest backup and...
  4. Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 update strategy advice

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 update strategy advice: Hello All, This is my first post as I am relatively new to Win 10 (don't ask). This is me: EditionWindows 10 Pro Version20H2 Installed on‎13/‎12/‎2020 OS build19042.1052 Lats night my machine updated with KB 5004945 and promptly terminated my internet access. I had to do a...
  6. Win 10 update strategy advice

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 update strategy advice: Hello All, This is my first post as I am relatively new to Win 10 (don't ask). This is me: EditionWindows 10 Pro Version20H2 Installed on‎13/‎12/‎2020 OS build19042.1052 Lats night my machine updated with KB 5004945 and promptly terminated my internet access. I had to do a...
  7. My backup strategy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    My backup strategy: I clone the primary SSD onto the clone one via Macrium. About once a month. Sometimes more often if major changes take place. Then I test it extensively make sure I can boot off of it. Furthermore, have a second machine that's clone of the primary machine, hardware and...
  8. Confused about Backup Strategies

Confused about Backup Strategies: I am in the process of acquiring a newer computer. It will be running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. My thinking is to clone or make an image of all the programs on drive C: I was thinking of placing this file on an SSD. Is it possible to make this file available on the Cloud? I...
  9. Backup Advice.

Backup Advice.: Hi, I need some backup advice. I have a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2x4TB (RAID 1) storage and was wondering if I would need any other sort of backup device so I don't lose my valuable data? Maybe another NAS or an extra SSD 4TB? 141789
  10. Backup strategy recommendations

Backup strategy recommendations: A friend has asked me for help in setting up a backup strategy for her computer. I am way out of date on the best practices in this area. It's a desktop computer currently running Windows 7 but she wants to bring it up to date with Windows 10 so I'm looking for a good backup...