Windows 10: Backup / Task Scheduler not working, even after repair

Discus and support Backup / Task Scheduler not working, even after repair in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I noticed that my father's computer hasn't done backup for more than a month.Upon trying a manual backup, it gives the error: "Windows could not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by piskas, Jul 18, 2016.

1. piskas Win User

Backup / Task Scheduler not working, even after repair

I noticed that my father's computer hasn't done backup for more than a month.Upon trying a manual backup, it gives the error:
    "Windows could not launch the automatic backup job for the following reason: Element not found. (0x80070490)"

I googled that and tried the suggestions here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8-efb9d65bca39:

1) Volume shadow copy was not set to auto
    2) sfc /scannow did not help
    3) clean boot did not help

• I also discovered that the last search for available Windows Updates was performed on the same date as the last backup, and nothing since.
    I did a manual Windows Update search, it found and did some updates, installed and rebooted.
    The problems were still there.
    In system recovery, it seems that there are no snapshots from before the windows update from today!

• I then checked the Task Scheduler, which gave an error message.

I opened MSCONFIG, disabled all non-MS services, all startup items. I disabled the antivirus and disabled its system protection options.
    I redid SFC / scannow (elevated) a couple of times.
    It repaired some things, but still reported errors.

I checked the system disk from errors (from gui, not chkdsk), nothing found.

I did dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, with a MS iso file.
    Redid sfc /scannow, no more errors.

Backup and Task Scheduler still do not work.

Do we still have options to save this computer from having to do clean reinstall?

:)

piskas, Jul 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 Backup Fails 0x80041313

Found this little gem that goes about repairing the broken Windows 10 Scheduler Task. Was having the same problem and after running this tool all tasks were restored and backup WORKED again

CodePlex Archive

Ricardo100671, Jul 18, 2016
  3. xformer Win User
    xformer, Jul 18, 2016
  4. robgr Win User

What build is the PC?
    The task scheduler has been broken on Redstone builds for sometime
    If the PC is on the fast ring you may want to wait until the anniversary drop
    Ensure that the task is configured for Windows 10 (see in task scheduler)

robgr, Jul 18, 2016
  5. piskas Win User
    Version 1511, build 10586.420
    AFAIK, this is not a Redstone build.

piskas, Jul 18, 2016
  6. robgr Win User
    Try and recreate the task(s)

robgr, Jul 18, 2016
  7. piskas Win User
    I can't. Task Scheduler opens but is then inaccessible due to a pop up notification that will not go away.
    It says "Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it".
    However, task scheduler service IS running. I restarted the service, but no improvement.

piskas, Jul 18, 2016
  8. piskas Win User

Does someone have a clue?

piskas, Jul 24, 2016
  9. I'm experiencing the exact same problem as the OP! After the (Windows 10 Pro) Anniversary Update, I saw one of my scheduled tasks hadn't been run in a day or so (it needs to every 30 mins). So I tried to run it manually, and it said "Task scheduler service is not available. Task scheduler will try to reconnect to it." Wut?! So, I checked (in Services) whether the Task Scheduler service is even running; and sure enough it is.

Kinda stumped here. Anyone any ideas?

meimeiriver, Aug 12, 2016
  10. Postal Win User
    Had the same problem to the extent that I thought my machine was totally trashed. Clean rebuild and still the same problem. However, I've now pinned down one cause. The tasks that were not running and generating the error message when I tried to run them manually all had a condition set that they should only run if connected to my home network. Set the condition to Any Network or disable it and things run as expected.

Bit of a bummer when you only want a back-up program to run when you are connected to your home network drive!

Hope that gives a work-round for at least one of the AU problems.

Postal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup / Task Scheduler not working, even after repair - Similar Threads - Backup Task Scheduler

2. How to backup and restore task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup and restore task scheduler?: I would like to know on how to backup and restore task scheduler in case of handling corrupted fileDoes anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  3. How to backup and restore task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to backup and restore task scheduler?: I would like to know on how to backup and restore task scheduler in case of handling corrupted fileDoes anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  4. Task Scheduler not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler not Working: Hi My problem is that when I attempt to run a task such as the W7 backup or one of my own scripts via Task Scheduler, it doesn't work. I have an external hard drive attached for the backup location. I close my laptop lid and verify that both the laptop and XHD are asleep. I...
  5. EliseM_456 My Reply is not working. Custom task in task scheduler is not working after...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    EliseM_456 My Reply is not working. Custom task in task scheduler is not working after...: hello elise, i'm having trouble replying. that's why i wast able to answer you. is there some other way I can talk to you? this is my question -...
  6. Custom task in task scheduler is not working after windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Custom task in task scheduler is not working after windows update: Hello, please someone help me out in this one. i recently updated my windows 10 to latest 2004 build. this has caused a custom task in my task scheduler to stop working. for reference i task i created is from this site https://trendblog.net/lock-feature-bitlocker/ it used to...
  7. Task Scheduler not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Task Scheduler not working: Hi, I've set up a scheduled task to transfer files using WinSCP using a batch file .bat. The task works as intended when I run the task manually by clicking the run option inside Task Scheduler. When I allow the task to run automatically using the daily trigger, the error...
  8. Task Scheduler not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Scheduler not working: Hi everyone, I'm having issues with the Task Scheduler since a time ago. A message saying "The remote computer was not found" when I try to open it. I've searched for this problem and tried to run the command line "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" but it...
  9. Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis: Hello, I would like to ask you and at the same time a Microsoft representative to send me the exact way how to uncheck / disable forever the checked function in Task Scheduler - UpdateOrchestrator - Backup Scan - on the folder "Conditions" - "Wake the computer to run this...
  10. Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis: Hello, I would like to ask you and at the same time a Microsoft representative to send me the exact way how to uncheck / disable forever the checked function in Task Scheduler - UpdateOrchestrator - Backup Scan - on the folder "Conditions" - "Wake the computer to run this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore backup scheduler after clean installation