Windows 10: Backup to external HDD on network

Discus and support Backup to external HDD on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My PC OS is Windows 10 v17763. The OS is installed on a SSD drive. D, E and F SATA drives are also on the computer. The PC is connected by Ethernet to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by thira, Jan 2, 2020.

1. thira Win User

Backup to external HDD on network

My PC OS is Windows 10 v17763. The OS is installed on a SSD drive. D, E and F SATA drives are also on the computer. The PC is connected by Ethernet to a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router by ethernet. A 4Tb external HDD is connected to the Netgear router by USB. This drive is mapped to the network in windows 10.

When I try to use Windows 10 to mirror image onto the external HDD on the network, Windows 10 sees the drive and begins the backup but fails shortly after starting.

Any help to do a backup to the network HDD would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for the anticipated reply.

Happy New Year!!

:)

thira, Jan 2, 2020
  2. thira Win User

My PC OS is Windows 10 v17763. The OS is installed on a SSD drive. D, E and F SATA drives are also on the computer. The PC is connected by Ethernet to a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router by ethernet. A 4Tb external HDD is connected to the Netgear router by USB. This drive is mapped to the network in windows 10.

When I try to use Windows 10 to mirror image onto the external HDD on the network, Windows 10 sees the drive and begins the backup but fails shortly after starting.

Any help to do a backup to the network HDD would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for the anticipated reply.

Happy New Year!!

thira, Jan 2, 2020
  3. mark0s Win User
    backup on external hdd on router

i have an external hdd on my router and i want to make a system image backup there, but i can't find it when i have to choose a network location. what should i do?

mark0s, Jan 2, 2020
  4. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Backup to external HDD on network - Similar Threads - Backup external HDD

2. External HDD with backups inaccessible in win 10 after BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD with backups inaccessible in win 10 after BSOD: BSOD has rendered my backups in my external hard drive inaccessible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-with-backups-inaccessible-in-win-10/6ef3a18b-2791-4129-81d3-d18732e832b6
  3. Windows Backup to new external HDD is 0 bytes.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Backup to new external HDD is 0 bytes.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/moosenthewoods [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/u6nkk6/windows_backup_to_new_external_hdd_is_0_bytes/
  4. Backup & repair disk of PC with external HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup & repair disk of PC with external HDD: Suppose want to create a System Image ISO and a repair disk or thumb drive for a Windows 10 PC that has an external drive containing data that doesn't need to be backed backed up. Should I disconnect the external drive before the doing the backup & repair disk and then...
  5. Backup not working to external hdd anymore? Why

Backup not working to external hdd anymore? Why: I want to backup my whole c drive so I can do a fresh start on my pc for work without losing all my other files. I used the windows backup tool in the past and the file history was fine. I deleted that folder off my hdd and have been trying for 2 days to backup the whole...
  6. Automatic backup of OneDrive-folders to external HDD

Automatic backup of OneDrive-folders to external HDD: I have my OneDrive-folders saved localy on my computer, but I also have an external HDD connected to my router for backups. Using the build-in backup feature in Windows I can't get it to actually backup the content in THE OneDrive-folders to the external HDD. Is there a way...
  7. Trouble making a backup to an external HDD

Trouble making a backup to an external HDD: I'm making a backup of my files to an external HDD I bought recently. Both my SSD and HDD are the same size, but Windows is saying there's not enough space. And the space that's already being taken up is already larger than what's on my SSD. Any help?...
  8. OneDrive or External HDD for backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    OneDrive or External HDD for backup?: I'm trying to keep subscription costs and/or hardware costs down, so I would like to find a backup strategy that doesn't involve both, or at least doesn't cost too much. I would like to do daily / weekly incremental backups, and image my drive once a month or so. From what...
  9. Toshiba external HDD Backup Software does not run

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Toshiba external HDD Backup Software does not run: Recently bought a Toshiba Canvio Advance, installed the Security Software which formatted the HDD as expected. Afterwards I installed the Backup Software, however when I run it, after selecting the HDD, the Backup program disappears, not allowing to select the Backup features...
  10. backup on external hdd on router

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup on external hdd on router: i have an external hdd on my router and i want to make a system image backup there, but i can't find it when i have to choose a network location. what should i do?...