Windows 10: Backup to Flash Drive

Discus and support Backup to Flash Drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am experimenting backing up my personal documents on to a flash drive (no moving parts) rather than an external hard drive but I'm facing a problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Tony Vella, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Backup to Flash Drive

I am experimenting backing up my personal documents on to a flash drive (no moving parts) rather than an external hard drive but I'm facing a problem creating folders on the flash drive. Say my computer is called XYZ, the external hard drive allows me to create folders, like \XYZ\Documents, \XYZ\Music, \XYZ\photos, etc. but the flash drive does not allow me to use \ in my folder name. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behaviour for a flash drive? Thanks in advance for all help.

:)

Tony Vella, Oct 13, 2017

2. Is clean install necessary if using used hard drive with data on it?

Thanks for the reply Andre! But i am still a little confused. I am putting my files on the flash drive as my backup. Will using my old hard drive on the new computer erase all of the data on it and force me to upload it back from the flash drive or will
    it stay on there and no need for using the backup?

and will i be able to install windows 10 on the new computer from the flash drive if it has my backup folders on it as well as the windows installation? I am using the flashdrive instead of an external hard drive as my backup. My plan is to use the flash
    drive as my hard drive info back up as well as installing windows at the same time.

Alex

AlexMurphy1, Oct 13, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Low Disk Space Pop-up from Windows Explorer. Why is this continually appearing? See attached photo-bottom right corner.

What is the D:\ drive that is shown as low on disk space. Is it the flash drive or an internal drive.

If it is the flash drive then you will just need to remove it. Perhaps there is no longer enough space on the flash drive to carry out a another backup and the percentage left is enough to trigger the warning.

I notice no other users that may have tried to use a flash drive have come forward with a solution. You may have to wait for another response to try to answer the question regarding turning on file history. What is the status in Settings > Update and security
    > Backup of Automatically backup my files.

neilpzz, Oct 13, 2017
  4. Helmut Win User

Backup to Flash Drive

Helmut, Oct 13, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    From a command prompt

md xyz

cd xyz

md documents

md music

md photos

etc.

cereberus, Oct 13, 2017
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    The \ character is used to separate path components and cannot be used in folder or file names. This is the case for all versions of Windows and all Windows file systems and for all devices. In the example of "XYZ\photos" "XYZ" and "photos" are separate folders, "photos" being a subfolder of "ZYX".

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backup to Flash Drive

1. Backup to Flash Drive - Similar Threads - Backup Flash Drive

2. create file backup using a flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    create file backup using a flash drive: How do I copy all of my word documents, I have Office Professional Plus 2016. I want to create a back up of these files on a flash drive. It's the safest way to save them in case future updates for my office program is changed on the next Windows 10 Home Updates. Or you can...
  3. USB flash drive is not a valid backup location for the system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB flash drive is not a valid backup location for the system image: Hello.. I have a usb stick of san disk capacity 204GB. Although it has plenty of space, it does not allow me to create a system image. It sends me the message in the title. on the contrary, another usb stick of my sandiskextreme 3.1 256 GB appears as valid.Can i do something...
  4. dual USB Flash drive as backup for passwords?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    dual USB Flash drive as backup for passwords?: This seems as if there is a simple "yes" answer, but please let me know if I've missed anything. If the repair-install on my Win10 goes very bad* and I can't reboot, I'd like to at least be able to get online for banking/bill-pay and for email by using a phone as a last...
  5. usb flash drive "is not a valid backup location "

usb flash drive "is not a valid backup location ": trying to create sys image for new win10, attempt to write to a 64 gb ntfs formatted flash drive formatted with diskpart and rufus, same error "not a valid backup location this seems to be an ongoing problem based on all the comments. what is the resolution? does MS...
  6. Backup with a flash drive

Backup with a flash drive: How do I backup my everything on my computer with a flash drive ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-with-a-flash-drive/cf74c072-6d70-4648-94bd-9df6bb783f3d
  7. I cannot backup the image on a Flash Drive , I get "the drive is not a valid backup...

I cannot backup the image on a Flash Drive , I get "the drive is not a valid backup...: I cannot backup the image on a Flash Drive , I get "the drive is not a valid backup location" error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-backup-the-image-on-a-flash-drive-i-get/049adb15-5397-48e6-9134-f92276c4f054
  8. Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash Drive: I received the following message when I inserted my flash drive: "You need to format the disc in drive D: before you can use it." I used this thumb drive all day yesterday, have a ton of working documents on it. If I must format this disc will I lose all my work. I have...
  9. Backup files on windos 10 to a flash drive

Backup files on windos 10 to a flash drive: How do I backup files on my laptop w/ windows 10..? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-files-on-windos-10-to-a-flash-drive/f915758e-4d3a-4ae5-8832-d3874f9d3ce6
  10. Windows 10 - backup to flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - backup to flash drive: All of a sudden I'm getting a notice that my backup didn't complete. I've been using an Infinitive 32GB flash drive for backups for about 6 months now. It says it couldn't complete the backup because "The media is write protected." I've used 2 different flash drives & get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. back up to USB flash drive on window phone