Windows 10: Backup/Transfer Local User Group Policy?

Discus and support Backup/Transfer Local User Group Policy? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; OS: Windows 10 Pro (version 2004) I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to backup and transfer a user group-only policy without using a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pinkfloydeffect, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Backup/Transfer Local User Group Policy?

I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to backup and transfer a user group-only policy without using a domain. I need to be able to setup a policy for non-administrators and use all the same setting configurations on dozens of computers that are not networked together or using a domain with a central policy, it has to be local-only.

So I found a program by Microsoft called LGPO which backs up a local group policy and allows you to import it onto another computer but I have to verify it does not backup the SID, because some day these machines will be on the same network which is why I bare metal cloned a sysprepped base image before trying to apply this policy.

The problem I am running into is that when I make changes to the "User Configuration" in the group policy editor it affects the users in the Administrators group as if I was applying them to "Computer Configuration" because there is no way for me to specify which user groups I want the policy applied to.

I was going to try messing with Group Policy Management Console but its missing from Windows Administrative Tools in Windows 10 Pro. The other method I found was opening a console window (MMC) and adding snap-ins (Group Policy Object Editor). Then clicking browse under group policy object, selecting the users tab and select the group I want to apply the policy to. This generates a GPO (Local Computer\Non-Administrators Policy) that I can then make changes to the way I would in policy editor. This works, and if I run the command "gpupdate /boot" it applies this policy to only non-administrators. The thing is I can not export this object out of console, it only gives me an option to "export list" and if I run LGPO to back it up it does not work. I noticed after the policy is applied if I look in the group policy editor the settings are not reflected there under "User Configuration" which must be why LGPO is not backing up the non-administrators policy even after it has updated and is working correctly. I also tried to save the console and open it on another computer but the settings are not saved.

So I need to either figure out how to get LGPO to backup the non-administrators policy or figure out how to make changes to user groups within group policy editor. Seems like this is a feature of the Group Policy Management Console but I was not able to add it to Windows 10 Pro with the add/remove features method.

*Banghead

Please help!

:)

pinkfloydeffect, Sep 23, 2020

2. Backup/Transfer Local User Group Policy?

I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to backup and transfer a user group-only policy without using a domain. I need to be able to setup a policy for non-administrators and use all the same setting configurations on dozens of computers that are not networked together or using a domain with a central policy, it has to be local-only.

So I found a program by Microsoft called LGPO which backs up a local group policy and allows you to import it onto another computer but I have to verify it does not backup the SID, because some day these machines will be on the same network which is why I bare metal cloned a sysprepped base image before trying to apply this policy.

The problem I am running into is that when I make changes to the "User Configuration" in the group policy editor it affects the users in the Administrators group as if I was applying them to "Computer Configuration" because there is no way for me to specify which user groups I want the policy applied to.

I was going to try messing with Group Policy Management Console but its missing from Windows Administrative Tools in Windows 10 Pro. The other method I found was opening a console window (MMC) and adding snap-ins (Group Policy Object Editor). Then clicking browse under group policy object, selecting the users tab and select the group I want to apply the policy to. This generates a GPO (Local Computer\Non-Administrators Policy) that I can then make changes to the way I would in policy editor. This works, and if I run the command "gpupdate /boot" it applies this policy to only non-administrators. The thing is I can not export this object out of console, it only gives me an option to "export list" and if I run LGPO to back it up it does not work. I noticed after the policy is applied if I look in the group policy editor the settings are not reflected there under "User Configuration" which must be why LGPO is not backing up the non-administrators policy even after it has updated and is working correctly. I also tried to save the console and open it on another computer but the settings are not saved.

So I need to either figure out how to get LGPO to backup the non-administrators policy or figure out how to make changes to user groups within group policy editor. Seems like this is a feature of the Group Policy Management Console but I was not able to add it to Windows 10 Pro with the add/remove features method.

*Banghead

Please help!

pinkfloydeffect, Sep 23, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Sep 23, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Backup/Transfer Local User Group Policy?

Brink, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

Backup/Transfer Local User Group Policy?

1. Backup/Transfer Local User Group Policy? - Similar Threads - Backup Transfer Local

2. Local group policies

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local group policies: Hello, I have issue with windows 10 home basic. There is no options for Administrative Templates inLocal Group Policies. Please resolve this issue...[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policies/bdbb2977-adf0-4aed-a08d-4dd5601fffac
  3. Backup/Transfer Local Group Policy (User)

in Windows 10 Support
    Backup/Transfer Local Group Policy (User): OS: Windows 10 Pro (version 2004) I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to backup and transfer a user group only policy without using a domain. I need to be able to setup a policy for non-administrators and use all the same setting configurations on dozens of...
  4. local group policy

local group policy: I have windows 10 home edition 1903 and I need to edited the local group policy but I can't seem to find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policy/c696e164-1135-4b8b-b687-38f4b18d1f6f
  5. Local Group Policy Lock Down Users Only and Not Administrator

Local Group Policy Lock Down Users Only and Not Administrator: How do I lock down Windows 10 for users (whoever logs on) only but not the local administrator account? In order to setup group policies, I have to log on with local admin account and whatever I set, it effects this current logon administrator account, too. Any help is...
  6. Local group policy -user specific

Local group policy -user specific: Trying to move the local group policy I set up on one of my Windows 10 laptops to all my other windows 10 laptops. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policy-user-specific/5392b7b6-66c8-46e0-84c4-52904a9aaac7
  7. Backup and Restore Local Group Policies

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Local Group Policies: Is there a way to backup and restore all local and group policies entered in Windows 10? Is there a way to share local and group policy settings in Windows 10? I searched for Powershell scripts that can be used to change local and group policies but could not find any...
  8. applying local group policy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    applying local group policy: Hi ive no experience applying group policy settings. What I'm hoping for is that I can have certain registry configurations applied cross all users. If I downloaded a registry.pol configuration, how do I apply this actually? So I've copied the file to...
  9. Apply Local Group Policy to Specific User in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Apply Local Group Policy to Specific User in Windows 10: How to: Apply Local Group Policy to Specific User in Windows 10 How to Apply Local Group Policies to Specific User in Windows 10 The Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that provides a single user interface through...
  10. Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information The Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that provides a single...