Windows 10: Backup vs history

Discus and support Backup vs history in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I had bad experience with win 8.1 history back, it did not worked. Is the windows backup history reliable, or should I use windows 7 backup? Thanks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by CapFlam128, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Backup vs history

I had bad experience with win 8.1 history back, it did not worked.
    Is the windows backup history reliable, or should I use windows 7 backup?
    Thanks

:)

CapFlam128, Jun 21, 2017

2. Windows 10 create good starting point

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below link and check the suggestions provided by
    Annu singh.

Windows 10 - System Image vs File History vs Backup and Restore

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jun 21, 2017
  3. ejpalmer Win User
    Problems with Windows 10 File History

I'm seeing some issues with Windows 10 FIle History and wonder if it's just me.

I deleted some folders from the BACKUP THESE FOLDERS list but the next day they're back.

I went to EXCLUDE THESE FOLDERS area, added the ones I don't want backed up, but again the next day, the list is empty. Nothing in the exclude list. ???

This situation has continued for several weeks, so not a fleeting thing.

Also, are there restrictions on what's included or specified? in other words libraries, vs folders vs partitions vs an entire drive letter?

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

ejpalmer, Jun 21, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Backup vs history

What do you want to backup - just data, or whole system including OS and programs as well as data?

cereberus, Jun 21, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    File History only backs up user files by user. I strongly recommend a reliable system image backup program like Macrium reflect Free to back up the OS and user files.

Steve C, Jun 21, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    I agree with Steve, in light of recent ransomware scares, I would strongly consider buying a backup external drive and creating a regular backup. You will need to disconnect the external drive once the backup is done unless its a NAS, otherwise that too could be compromised.

swarfega, Jun 21, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    I agree with the others, make a regular system image so that an up to date working system can be restored in the event of a disaster (such as the HDD failing and needing to be replaced). Macrium is the one most recommended here, and it should be possible to restore individual files from a Macrium backup.

However, to answer that specific question - I have File History turned on and pointing to a network folder (an external HDD plugged into the USB port on my router). It works unobtrusively and reliably.

The 'Windows 7 Backup' is included mainly to allow you to restore backups from your older PCs. I wouldn't recommend using it as your primary backup.

I would recommend having several alternative backups. In addition to File History I make regular system images, plus I have a batch file I wrote that copies my most important user folders and files to an external drive. If I loose a file I have at least three independent places I can retrieve it from. You can never have enough backups. *Smile

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backup vs history

1. Backup vs history - Similar Threads - Backup history

2. Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History: Hi Windows Backup friends. File History sadly the hidden files which sometimes have the save files for games won't be included, does anyone know a 3rd-party app or a Command Prompt or Powershell command that will include the hidden files and folders when your use File History...
  3. Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History: Hi Windows Backup friends. File History sadly the hidden files which sometimes have the save files for games won't be included, does anyone know a 3rd-party app or a Command Prompt or Powershell command that will include the hidden files and folders when your use File History...
  4. Why I do not see in File history my last backup?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why I do not see in File history my last backup?: Why I do not see in File history my last backup? The backup was completed and there is enough place on the disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-do-not-see-in-file-history-my-last-backup/59558eea-133d-42af-88a9-9770eb7a3d49
  5. Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?: Hi Microsoft friends, does File History I think that's the weakest way to repair and recover compared to the many Windows tools to repair and recover- too many though it's confusing but File History is the to easiest use backup the hidden files and hidden folders in say the...
  6. Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?

Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?: Hi Microsoft friends, does File History I think that's the weakest way to repair and recover compared to the many Windows tools to repair and recover- too many though it's confusing but File History is the to easiest use backup the hidden files and hidden folders in say the...
  7. How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive

How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive: How can I get File History to backup files on the D:/ drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-file-history-to-backup-files-on-thr/e233f48b-7cab-4cd3-ba60-290dfaff8f42
  8. How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive: How can I get File History to backup files on the D:/ drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-file-history-to-backup-files-on-thr/e233f48b-7cab-4cd3-ba60-290dfaff8f42
  9. When I try to clean up old versions of file history backup I get the error message element...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try to clean up old versions of file history backup I get the error message element...: When I try to clean up old backups on file history, I get the error message element not found. It won't let me clean up old backups older than 3 or 6 months. How do I fix this so that I can clean up my backup drive....
  10. When I try to clean up old versions of file history backup I get the error message element...

When I try to clean up old versions of file history backup I get the error message element...: When I try to clean up old backups on file history, I get the error message element not found. It won't let me clean up old backups older than 3 or 6 months. How do I fix this so that I can clean up my backup drive....