Windows 10: Backup Windows 10 Installation

Discus and support Backup Windows 10 Installation in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I want to back up an entire Windows 10 installation (including programs etc) to an external HD so that if my computer gets fried again, I can restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Kruddler2017, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Backup Windows 10 Installation

I want to back up an entire Windows 10 installation (including programs etc) to an external HD so that if my computer gets fried again, I can restore back to that version.

How do I do this? I believe I need an image ghosting tool? Is there a reliable one around?

:)

Kruddler2017, Oct 6, 2017

2. Facillity at Zero

Specialization in replies:

Step1

Step2

Step3etc

Installation Guide Windows 10, Oct 6, 2017
  3. pingiii Win User
    Is the system backup for Windows 10 still identified as a Windows 7 task name?

I installed Windows 10 and when I went to do my first backup, the backup pane showed Windows 7 backup as the task that was initiated. Is this OK? Shouldn't this task reflect a name of Windows 10 backup? Very confusing.

pingiii, Oct 6, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

Backup Windows 10 Installation

• Download https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree. Install, run, select: Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows.
    • Click on first icon to create rescue media on CD/USB so can boot from to restore when needed.
    Here's step by step video. Video was created with ver. 6.x but would be the same for 7.x:
    [youtube]pCUNEwU41MU[/youtube]

topgundcp, Oct 6, 2017
  5. Sbrideau Win User
    Macrium Reflect is definitely one of the good programs I've used in the past for this purpose, but so is Acronis true Image, which is my favorite, but you have to pay for a license to use it.

One advice that's missing from topgundcp's post though is that you should backup to either an external hard drive, or to a drive that isn't the drives/partitions that you're backing up.

Sbrideau, Oct 6, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    I consider Acronis products poorly engineered and supported after some problems I had a couple of years ago. Macrium Reflect is fine.

Steve C, Oct 6, 2017
  7. Sbrideau Win User
    Thanks for the warning, I haven't had any issues as of yet with Acronis.

Sbrideau, Oct 8, 2017
  8. Backup Windows 10 Installation

This looks like a good product. So, I just need to confirm that with the free version, and following the instructions you have provided, I will be able to create a bootable clone of my Windows 10 drive, and that copy will work exactly the same as the other one when I boot on to that drive. Is that correct?

Kruddler2017, Nov 6, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    Yes, Reflect Free will do that. You can also mount the image of any partition as a virtual drive and cut/paste individual files to a location of your choice.

I recommend setting up a backup schedule in Reflect to automatically do full & differential backups.

Steve C, Nov 6, 2017
  10. I read this in a review, which suggests I can't do that:

Macrium Reflect Free review

Kruddler2017, Nov 6, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    Reflect Free images partitions to a drive of your choice and can recover them to a drive of your choice. You can also recover individual files/folders by mounting the backup partition image as a virtual drive. You need the paid for version of Reflect to backup individual folders plus other features not found in the free version.
    I've found the free version fine for all my needs.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backup Windows 10 Installation

1. Backup Windows 10 Installation - Similar Threads - Backup Installation

2. Installed a backup from asus laptop in a dell laptop after resetting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed a backup from asus laptop in a dell laptop after resetting.: Hi, I own two different laptops a dell for office use and an asus gaming laptop. Both run same Microsoft account as well.Since both device run same account so both create a backup in my Microsoft account as well. I recently reset my dell and while setting up windows again, I...
  3. Installed a backup from asus laptop in a dell laptop after resetting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installed a backup from asus laptop in a dell laptop after resetting.: Hi, I own two different laptops a dell for office use and an asus gaming laptop. Both run same Microsoft account as well.Since both device run same account so both create a backup in my Microsoft account as well. I recently reset my dell and while setting up windows again, I...
  4. I was moving backup data from one PC to another but the new PC will not let me install it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I was moving backup data from one PC to another but the new PC will not let me install it.: Hi, I need help, please? I was backing up my Windows 10 with the Windows system image. I was moving backup data from one PC to another to my horror the new PC will not let me install it. One it keeps saying it was downloaded with a PC using bios and this PC is using EFI....
  5. I upgraded hDd to a ssd, But technician crashed my windows without any backup and install a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I upgraded hDd to a ssd, But technician crashed my windows without any backup and install a...: Plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-upgraded-hdd-to-a-ssd-but-technician-crashed-my/2eb695e0-47cb-4d22-9970-30e2ed318260
  6. I upgraded hDd to a ssd, But technician crashed my windows without any backup and install a...

I upgraded hDd to a ssd, But technician crashed my windows without any backup and install a...: Plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-upgraded-hdd-to-a-ssd-but-technician-crashed-my/2eb695e0-47cb-4d22-9970-30e2ed318260
  7. installed windows 11 backup yesterday. got message partially complete. don't know how to...

installed windows 11 backup yesterday. got message partially complete. don't know how to...: installed windows 11 backup yesterday. got message partially complete. don't know how to recover the actual message to post. It appears that I have a problem getting the syncing to finish....
  8. installed windows 11 backup yesterday. got message partially complete. don't know how to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installed windows 11 backup yesterday. got message partially complete. don't know how to...: installed windows 11 backup yesterday. got message partially complete. don't know how to recover the actual message to post. It appears that I have a problem getting the syncing to finish....
  9. How do I stop OneDrive Auto Backup, when I don't have OneDrive Installed on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop OneDrive Auto Backup, when I don't have OneDrive Installed on my computer: I recently updated my computer to Windows 11. Ever since then I get messages telling my storage is low. The majority of what is taking up my computer space is an OneDrive Auto Backup folder. I do not OneDrive installed on my computer, and I do not want an Auto Backup to be...
  10. How do I stop OneDrive Auto Backup, when I don't have OneDrive Installed on my computer

How do I stop OneDrive Auto Backup, when I don't have OneDrive Installed on my computer: I recently updated my computer to Windows 11. Ever since then I get messages telling my storage is low. The majority of what is taking up my computer space is an OneDrive Auto Backup folder. I do not OneDrive installed on my computer, and I do not want an Auto Backup to be...