Windows 10: Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive

Discus and support Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,I have some questions:1. How can I backup my Windows 10 OS only? Can I put it on a usb stick 32gb and external ssd?2. Can I still use my usb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JohnPA1_2, Oct 2, 2022.

1. JohnPA1_2 Win User

Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive

Hi,I have some questions:1. How can I backup my Windows 10 OS only? Can I put it on a usb stick 32gb and external ssd?2. Can I still use my usb stick/ssd where I put the bakcup OS?3. Is the backup OS plug and play I don't know the correct term or is it an installer?4. How do I use the backup in case of an emergency?Thank you,John

:)

JohnPA1_2, Oct 2, 2022
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Oct 2, 2022
  3. Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

When I want to eject a USB stick I can do it 2 different ways (a) by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device (b) in File Explorer by right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB stick and clicking the Eject option

When I want to eject a USB external drive I only have one option, by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device. In File Explorer if I right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB external drive, there is no Eject option in the list of options.

Since I am usually in File Explorer when I have either a USB stick or a USB external drive plugged in, it is most natural to me to want to eject from within File Explorer after I have finished with the USB device.

Is there any way to 'switch on' an 'Eject' option within File Explorer for a USB external drive ?

Ron

PS this is true for both Windows 10 Home 32 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ron Hewett, Oct 2, 2022
  4. Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive

External USB drive identified as local; cannot backup

How do I change the way Windows mistakes an external drive as a local drive?

I have been using a USB connected WD Passport drive for Windows 10 backups. It's been working fine. I noticed today that my last backup was March 8th, more than a month ago; so I attempted a manual backup, but the external USB drive is identified as local
    and cannot be used as backup.

How do I change the way Windows recognizes this external drive?

My OS is Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 Build 16299.371. It's a PC, 64 bit with regular updates.

HansNielsen2, Oct 2, 2022
Thema:

Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive

1. Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive - Similar Threads - Backup USB stick

2. Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive: Hi,I have some questions:1. How can I backup my Windows 10 OS only? Can I put it on a usb stick 32gb and external ssd?2. Can I still use my usb stick/ssd where I put the bakcup OS?3. Is the backup OS plug and play I don't know the correct term or is it an installer?4. How do...
  3. Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Windows 10 OS only USB stick and/or external drive: Hi,I have some questions:1. How can I backup my Windows 10 OS only? Can I put it on a usb stick 32gb and external ssd?2. Can I still use my usb stick/ssd where I put the bakcup OS?3. Is the backup OS plug and play I don't know the correct term or is it an installer?4. How do...
  4. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  5. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  6. backup to external drive

backup to external drive: I want to backup my computer to an external drive. I have windows 10 in a partition on my MacBook Pro. when I go to backup it says "no usable drive found" even though I have my i-Portable plugged in...What do I need to do to make this work?...
  7. Backup to external drive

Backup to external drive: In the Backup section of settings, I click "backup now" and it doesn't back up. I have requested daily backups but my last one was 1 month ago. I am attempting to back up to an external drive. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  8. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive backup: Hi, recently I bought a new computer dell Inspiron small desktop, I also own a "Toshiba external hard drive USB 3.0 USB devise", which I used to backup my previous desktop computer for years where I saved valuable files and documents. Now when I tried to open this devise in...
  9. Backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup to external drive: People say to backup more so using Win10. Read some say to use other than Windows backup. If using such as Macrium Reflect. Would I need to create an Image of the whole drive on my laptop with my files/photos and system etc. So in the event of a failure/corruption etc, it...
  10. Backup to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to an external drive.: How do I connect my networked computer to my router connected usb hard drive for backing up my data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/backup-to-an-external-drive/7b876cf8-b372-4ffa-b599-0fbc5c0b1109