Windows 10: Backup with robocopy file count and size are different

Discus and support Backup with robocopy file count and size are different in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I always try to keep up 3 copies and found the tool robocopy /mir as very useful. After some years I run into a big issue. Why there is such a big... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tobias_S., Feb 24, 2019.

1. Tobias_S. Win User

Backup with robocopy file count and size are different

I always try to keep up 3 copies and found the tool robocopy /mir as very useful.

After some years I run into a big issue. Why there is such a big discrepancy in file size and count eating up the space on my external drive?
    See attached screenshot:

Backup with robocopy file count and size are different f000a7b6-52e0-4157-a005-f6829c277b5e?upload=true.png

If I compare file by file, the count discrepancy gets lower and to 0 if I move down the folders tree to the last subfolder.

What do I have to change to match this numbers and get rid of this effect and how can I clean up such a folder? I only want to mirror a folder tree can't be that hard?
    Hoping for constructive feedback.

Tobias

:)

Tobias_S., Feb 24, 2019
  2. Binky_875 Win User

Repeat RoboCopy batch file in Windows 10 gives different results.

Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with standard supplied RoboCopy.

Having said that, I believe the same symptoms were exhibited on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (which was updated).

Basically I have a batch file which copies data from a 'non changing (by the OS)' drive to a backup drive.

If it has been run and completed so both drives are in sync, I can run the batch file again and it runs very quickly, BUT can sometimes give a different number of files in the drive. i.e. running it back to back gives different file count, even when the
    2 drives are in sync.

Either this is related to caching of the drives, or RoboCopy not counting correctly when using multiple threads.

I would appreciate a definitive answer so that I can automatically test for files that are synced and provide a YES/NO to it having worked okay.

Regards Binky

Binky_875, Feb 24, 2019
  3. KingNeil2 Win User
    Robocopy backup won't work

I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line:

robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e

This command works fine on my laptop

But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason

It just shows the very command that I typed over and over again repeating the command over and over on a new line each time, and it doesn't copy the files. There is no explanation for why.

On the other hand, using Windows Backup / File History works just fine, but I don't want to use Windows Backup because I don't like the format that the files are saved in.

Why isn't Robocopy working? How do I solve this?

KingNeil2, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Backup with robocopy file count and size are different

I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Backup with robocopy file count and size are different

1. Backup with robocopy file count and size are different - Similar Threads - Backup robocopy file

2. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  3. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  4. File explorer file count and size missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer file count and size missing: I just noticed this and I don't know if it's a new "feature" or bug; the File Explorer when I would select a group of files, at the very bottom of the File Explorer the is would list out how many files I selected. Or if I select a file, it would read out the size of such...
  5. Robocopy random total file count after first full transfer

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Robocopy random total file count after first full transfer: Hi When using /mir or /e on a full directory it gives me random total files count on 1809. robocopy /log: /e /mt:16 /np /r:0 /w:0 /xa:s /XJ /v /fft Code: Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras Dirs : 2054 2054 0 0 0 0 Files : 57964 57964 0 0 0 0 Bytes : 6.207 g...
  6. Counting Different File Types

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Counting Different File Types: I have a folder that has over 30,000 files, a combination of photos, gifs and movies. I'm trying to find a way to count the number of different file types within that one folder i.e. 20,000 .jpg; 2,500 .mov; 2,500 .avi etc. Is this possible? submitted by /u/5spdfrk [link]...
  7. Macrium Backup File Size

Macrium Backup File Size: Hello,To backup my windows system I use Macrium reflect (free edition), every 4 - 5 days. One is a full image backup and 4 - 5 days later a differential backup and so on.The system uses 31.8 to 32.2 GB on the disk (no restore point).Usually a full image backup is ~20.6 GB and...
  8. Macrium Backup File Size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Macrium Backup File Size: Hello,To backup my windows system I use Macrium reflect (free edition), every 4 - 5 days. One is a full image backup and 4 - 5 days later a differential backup and so on.The system uses 31.8 to 32.2 GB on the disk (no restore point).Usually a full image backup is ~20.6 GB and...
  9. robocopy backup of important files

robocopy backup of important files: hi, I have a standard Windows 10 build and I'm using y to backup my data to an external drive. The goal is just to capture all my data so if the PC fails/gets stolen etc. I can restore my data on to another PC. I'm doing a backup of c:\users\ as this seems to capture...
  10. Size of backup file using Windows Backup

Size of backup file using Windows Backup: I have an HP a6547c desktop that has gone from Vista to Windows 8.1 and finally to Windows 10. Attached is a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive that was wiped clean. I started the Windows Backup program (worried at first when it said Backup Win 7) and after a number of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. robocopy output discrepancy in file count