Windows 10: Backups keep failing on DumpStack.log.tmp

Discus and support Backups keep failing on DumpStack.log.tmp in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, When trying to run a backup from a Dell Laptop to an external USB hard drive, the backup constantly gets stuck with the below error. This is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GregH, Sep 15, 2020.

1. GregH Win User

Backups keep failing on DumpStack.log.tmp

Hey all,

When trying to run a backup from a Dell Laptop to an external USB hard drive, the backup constantly gets stuck with the below error. This is Windows 10 Pro 2004.:
    \DumpStack.log.tmp
    Error: Failed to copy from Source : File is locked (C:\DumpStack.log.tmp): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I have read on another forum that this file can be switched off in the registry. Here is the excerpt from the Microsoft Forum that I found using Google:

dump stack logging can be disabled. To do so, enforce the following setting in Windows Registry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl]
    "EnableLogFile"=dword:00000000
    In other words:

1. Open the Registry Editor.
    2. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", "SYSTEM", "CurrentControlSet", "Control", and finally "CrashControl"
    3. Once you've opened the "CrashControl" key, look at the values pane to the right and look for "EnableLogFile". If it doesn't exist, create it. Its type must be "DWORD".
    4. Set its value to 0.
    5. Exit the Registry Editor.
    Once you enforced the aforementioned setting, restart your computer. Only after a restart you'll be able to delete both files.

Alternatively, any other less intrusive ideas to work around this issue? This is a work colleagues laptop not mine.

Thanks in advance as always!

:)

GregH, Sep 15, 2020

2. How to change location of MSI????.tmp file

Hi,

You may change the location of the .tmp file by following the steps provided below:

• Go to This PC.
    • Right-click This PC, and then select Advanced System Setting.
    • Click Environment Variables.
    • Under system variable, double-click tmp and change the path for the file of your reference.

If the location still can't be changed, we suggest that you post it on our
    MSDN forum
    . We have highly technical users and IT professionals there that can address your concern.

Feel free to contact us if you have other concerns.

Dennis Mop, Sep 15, 2020
  3. msaba497 Win User
    Backup fails

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did Step 1 OK.

Doing Step 2: Volume Shadow Copy is already running, but I have no SPP Notification Service in the list of services!

I just tried to backup, and it failed again!

Back in August when the Backup failed, someone told me about STARTING VSS. I did that then, and it appears to be running since then. He did not say anything about SPP. I replied to him, but he disappeared!

M. Saba

msaba497, Sep 15, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

how to get rid on thnDE7.tmp

Hi
    Tomhen,

Based on the details you have provided, we have some
    questions for you:

• Do you know from what application or file does thnDE7.tmp came from?

• Do you want to delete it or stop your pc from creating .tmp
      files?

• You stated that there are 2 people helping you, may I know what were the troubleshooting steps that you and they
      have done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Backups keep failing on DumpStack.log.tmp - Similar Threads - Backups keep failing

2. whats a dumpstack?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    whats a dumpstack?: so i was just browsing around my computer, and i found a file called "dumpstack" at c: so i opened it and it said i didnt have permission, i took ownership but im pretty curious, what IS a dumpstack?...
  3. whats a dumpstack?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    whats a dumpstack?: so i was just browsing around my computer, and i found a file called "dumpstack" at c: so i opened it and it said i didnt have permission, i took ownership but im pretty curious, what IS a dumpstack?...
  4. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup Fails: I have three PCs on my home network. Two of them are running Win 10 pro, and one is running Win 10 home. One of the Win 10 Pro PCs has an external hard drive connected to it USB that I use for backups using the Win 7 Backup and Restore facility. The PC running Win 10 Home...
  5. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup Fails: I have three PCs on my home network. Two of them are running Win 10 pro, and one is running Win 10 home. One of the Win 10 Pro PCs has an external hard drive connected to it USB that I use for backups using the Win 7 Backup and Restore facility. The PC running Win 10 Home...
  6. tmp files .tmp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    tmp files .tmp: I can empty all data in local temp folder , but as soon as open any web browser like Chrome or Microsoft edge they reappear. The files look like fc11a109-3f15-45b0-b483-630e1584a674.tmp. If I try then to delete the files individually, I get the message " The action can't be...
  7. Backups keep failing on DumpStack.log.tmp

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backups keep failing on DumpStack.log.tmp: Hey all, When trying to run a backup from a Dell Laptop to an external USB hard drive, the backup constantly gets stuck with the below error. This is Windows 10 Pro 2004.: \DumpStack.log.tmp Error: Failed to copy from Source : File is locked (C:\DumpStack.log.tmp): The...
  8. Backup fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup fails: Dear reader, Thank you to take some of your precious time to read my post and help me solve the following problem with the system backup Following latest windows update version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 ASUS T200TA ; Windows10 version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 There is no...
  9. backup failing

backup failing: Hi, My backup is failing ( three times) with 0x80780065. There are three backup sets \\EXTERNALDRIVE\FranksBackups\FRANKSPC\Backup Set 2015-06-01 070022 98,038 Files, 536 Folders \\EXTERNALDRIVE\FranksBackups\FRANKSPC\Backup Set 2016-01-21 181147 691 Files, 7 Folders...
  10. Backup/System Image options keep failing

Backup/System Image options keep failing: Having some trouble trying to create a system image of my system as I'm getting a "Server execution failed (0x80080005)." error that whatever I try just seems to remain unaffected. I've tried sfc /scannow to resolve issues, checked permissions, but I'm getting nowhere...