Windows 10: Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse

Discus and support Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there I think it's worth labouring this point -- backing up your OS these days can really be done in a few minutes so there is 100% NO EXCUSE for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Feb 9, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse

Hi there

I think it's worth labouring this point -- backing up your OS these days can really be done in a few minutes so there is 100% NO EXCUSE for not doing it.

If your OS is say on an SSD a backup will take for an average system only around 5 - 10 mins (do it for example while "visiting the bog" !!). Things like Macrium reflect can be run from within the OS when making backups.

You will save yourself SO MUCH HASSLE - when software or upgrades don't work, drivers get overwritten, your machine gets spyware / adware / virus / PUPS or other unwanted stuff.

For a few minutes it should be second nature to backup regularly. DATA is another matter - but that can be done any time and usually doesn't change much - but ideally backup your OS every day and certainly before installing software.

Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse [​IMG]

New computers IMO should not allow the user to start working until they've backed up the system - even though the initial OS is probably full of Bloatware -- it gets the user into practice of doing it.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 9, 2016
  2. shubhzr Win User

Windows 10 taking too long to boot.

few days back I updated my pc to windows 10 although features are good, but its taking too much time for booting.

it takes around 5 mins to start its so irritating and same takes too long to log off.

anyone with the same problem?

please give suggestions.

thanks

shubhzr, Feb 9, 2016
  3. battery drainage

Since i recharged my N8 with mobile data..i hve been getting quite a minimum of battery life, around 5 hrs. Max. My mobile is not connected to the internet 24x7. Hardly 5 hours a day with 30 mins of video and song downloads. I do use whatsapp and after
    use i close it from the task manager.

P.S :- my N8 is not continiously connected for 5 hours..during the day atleast 5hrs is what i meant.

chesterlord, Feb 9, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

I personally don't see the need to back up the OS since it doesn't take very long to re-install it. I do, however, backup my user files. I recently bought a nice 6TB NAS and use scheduled backups so it's no hassle to do.

swarfega, Feb 9, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

It's not only the OS - but Updates / user programs plus any of their updates, serial numbers sometimes of programs need to be re-keyed in and you might also have problems with re-activation.

Plus you need to install things like Email settings - and installing Office with updates takes a while, Photoshop is another long installing program.

Just taking 5 mins to backup the whole kybosh seems to be a good investment of time - and it's certainly MUCH easier to recover your OS than go through a mega re-install hassle.

NAS data can be backed up separately as and when required - a lot of people use the Cloud for that too - although depending on the size to back up and speed of your Internet it might not be a good solution for many.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 9, 2016
  6. Kyhi Win User
    A 5 Minute Backup Routine - will save the average forum user - hours or sometimes days of grief..

But if everybody followed a backup routine - what would we have to comment about..

Topic = My PC pooped itself, I restored the Backup, All better now...

Boring..

Kyhi, Feb 9, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Well, well......this seems to be one of the few times I've agreed with you. *Smile I try to tell folks to always, always, backup their OS, C-Drive. Why folks don't even think of it, till their computer gets screwed is beyond me!!!
    Takes VERY little time, just like you said too!!!! Good Post Jimbo45!!!!! *Thumbs*Thumbs

OldMike65, Feb 9, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Still lots of things left....mostly how the user either hates their Windows 10, OR how they love their Windows 10, but they don't know how to do this.....or they lost this, or how do you install this, what is the best AV for my computer, etc....etc....etc....list is endless.....hehehehehe... *Smile

OldMike65, Feb 9, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    Whilst I agree entirely with the sentiments, I can assure you on a lot of PCs it can take a lot more than five minutes if doing a full system image backup. My old laptop takes up to 40 minutes and it is not even that full.

Additionally, many people keep their data on the C drive (an activity encouraged by MS User directories) which can lead to very big image backups.

Keeping data separate from OS and programs allows for much better backup optimisation eg. only image backup C drive on say weekly (accepting some minor rework if this is done), but backing up data as feequently as needed even every 15 minutes using File History Backup for example.

Alternatively, one could just image backups, and image backup say weekly, and use differential/incremental images daily. In many respects, this is easier for 'beginners', but even getting them to do an full image backup is the real challenge as the problem is getting the message to 'the masses'. To a degree, on sites like this, we are preaching to the converted.

cereberus, Feb 9, 2016
  10. AddRAM Win User
    That`s crazy, why reinstall when an image takes 10 to 20 minutes *Huh

AddRAM, Feb 9, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I can usually go from nothing to a fully setup PC including software/Apps in about 3 hours and it's usually a lot less. But if someone has a lot more software I can defiantly see this as a necessity.

BunnyJ, Feb 9, 2016
  12. RolandJS Win User
    My full-images of OS and data partition using Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image can run 45-60+ minutes and 90-120 minutes respectively. A little more than 5 minutes *Smile However, blessed are the backer-uppers for they shall be restored.

RolandJS, Feb 9, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Now you see the advantage of SSD and USB3 external HDD !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 9, 2016
  14. topgundcp Win User
    Well, it really depends on few things:
    • How fast your PC is
    • Whether the storage Media is a SSD or a spinner
    • Most importanly, how you organnize your PC ie. separate data with Windows system files
    • Most people don't realize that some of the programs can be made portable. Just to name a few: bcdedit, vlc player, winrar, 7-zip .... they usually came as an installer but actually they are just a bunch of .exe zip files. Just use 7-zip to unzip to another place and can be run as a stand alone, the advantage is you don't have to install it again if you are dual booting and will be available, the contents are all the same therefore no need to include them in your backup.

Having said that. Jimbo45's backup time is fast but still more than half of mine. Not to brag but just to prove a point. Backing up ~35GB took 2:10 Minutes.

Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse - Similar Threads - Backups days around

2. Pc crashes 5 mins or so into playing a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc crashes 5 mins or so into playing a game: Hello, my pc crashes when am playing games. my drivers are all up to date,there are no connection issues. Hardware scans check out. Here are some error codes:DUMP FILE: MODULE_NAME: nt_wrong_symbolsSYMBOL_NAME: nt_wrong_symbols!4A4789771047000FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:...
  3. Pc crashes 5 mins or so into playing a game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc crashes 5 mins or so into playing a game: Hello, my pc crashes when am playing games. my drivers are all up to date,there are no connection issues. Hardware scans check out. Here are some error codes:DUMP FILE: MODULE_NAME: nt_wrong_symbolsSYMBOL_NAME: nt_wrong_symbols!4A4789771047000FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:...
  4. Excuse me.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Excuse me.: I'm pretty sure HTML5 is illegal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excuse-me/d6b3cbe4-145e-4370-87a4-7dab4f27c47e
  5. FiveM crash in 5 min?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FiveM crash in 5 min?: I play about 4 months on FiveM. Since last week my FiveM crashes after about an hour and then every 5 minutes. What could be the reason? I installed it completely new yesterday. FiveM crasht alle 5 minuten?
  6. HP Envy 6 WiFi Drops from 5 mins to 5 mins

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HP Envy 6 WiFi Drops from 5 mins to 5 mins: Hi guys, My HP Envy 6 laptop's WiFi connection is dropping from around 5 mins to 5 mins. I have to reconnect it manually each time. I suspect this might be an outdated driver issue. I'm aware Windows 10 isn't officially supported for my model and there aren't any win10...
  7. NO Excuse for NOT taking backups (Laptop done in 8 mins)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    NO Excuse for NOT taking backups (Laptop done in 8 mins): Hi folks Just another post telling people they should ALWAYS take backups Just did an average laptop backup with a fair amount of programs (Office suite, photoshop etc) with Macrium to external HDD. Entire thing only took 8 mins. [img] At these sorts of speeds...
  8. Theres NO excuse for NOT taking Backups 8 Mins for Windows !!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Theres NO excuse for NOT taking Backups 8 Mins for Windows !!: Hi there There's no excuse these days for NOT taking backups Windows 10 X-64 on laptop -- 232 GB SSD backed up to external 232 GB SSD connected via USB3-->sata connector. 8 Mins to do --and that includes running an active Virtual Machine while the backup was running....
  9. No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups: Hi there. I think we've all said this "Ad Nauseam" but these days with decent computers and reasonable HDD's (better if SSD's) there absolutely is NO reason not to take a backup before even doing relatively maintenance. I've just taken a backup of a test W10 system...
  10. Automatic log off after 5 min or so of inactivity

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic log off after 5 min or so of inactivity: My system logs off automatically after 5 minutes or so of inactivity. I don't know where to look for to change this option. I am logging in using my hotmail at start up. 35560