Windows 10: Bad battery performance with connected standby enabled

Discus and support Bad battery performance with connected standby enabled in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have the surface pro 4 and i had as ive used it ive noticed bad battery life anywhere between 2 and a half hours or 3 hours of web browsing. So i was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CowanHahn, Mar 17, 2020.

1. CowanHahn Win User

Bad battery performance with connected standby enabled

I have the surface pro 4 and i had as ive used it ive noticed bad battery life anywhere between 2 and a half hours or 3 hours of web browsing. So i was looking online and I saw that disabling connected standby might help. So i did and it increased my battery life to up to 4 hours. Is there any idea to why this may be as i really liked having this feature available.

:)

CowanHahn, Mar 17, 2020
  2. t0yz Win User

Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

3. Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Bad battery performance with connected standby enabled pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Mar 17, 2020
  4. Bad battery performance with connected standby enabled

Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Bad battery performance with connected standby enabled pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

Bad battery performance with connected standby enabled

1. Bad battery performance with connected standby enabled - Similar Threads - Bad battery performance

2. Battery Report : Connected standby = Not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery Report : Connected standby = Not supported: Hello everyone, can someone tell me what is the problem with my laptop? The laptop will only be turned on if the charger is plugged in and if not, my laptop will turned off as soon as the charger is plugged out....
  3. Battery Report : Connected standby = Not supported

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery Report : Connected standby = Not supported: Hello everyone, can someone tell me what is the problem with my laptop? The laptop will only be turned on if the charger is plugged in and if not, my laptop will turned off as soon as the charger is plugged out....
  4. Battery Report : Connected standby = Not supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby

in Windows 10 Customization
    Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby: i bought the X1 Carbon Gen9. when i download something via firefox and it takes e.g. 5 hours slow download server, due to modern standby or normal standby, the download some when stops. i read this page: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standbyhowever, i...
  6. Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby: i bought the X1 Carbon Gen9. when i download something via firefox and it takes e.g. 5 hours slow download server, due to modern standby or normal standby, the download some when stops. i read this page: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standbyhowever, i...
  7. Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Losing network connectivity in standby even with it enabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Losing network connectivity in standby even with it enabled: Hi folks im on win version 20h2 mobo gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO (rev. 1.0) with latest bios Ryzen 5 3600 cpu im having some weird issue i cant figure out, with my network disconnecting when computer goes to sleep. I have tried a lot of settings without any sucess, including...
  9. Bad performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad performance: The first I'm sorry for my google translate english I have an i7 7700k, 1060 6 GB, 16 GB RAM and normally I usually have a very fluid computer in the games but with the latest updates of Windows 10 it is fatal, I have all the updated drivers and tried to format the computer...
  10. Battery Report: Connected standby = not supported

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery Report: Connected standby = not supported: [ATTACH] Hello everyone, can someone tell me whats the problem with my laptop? it's not charging anymore. The laptop will only be turned on if the charger is plugged in....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. connected standby disable bad