Windows 10: Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition

Discus and support Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Yesterday, on Windows 11 Home, my laptop's screent went black all of a sudden. I already had backup, so, I inserted a Windows USB, and I formatted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Satyam_Mishra, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition

Yesterday, on Windows 11 Home, my laptop's screent went black all of a sudden. I already had backup, so, I inserted a Windows USB, and I formatted the partition on which Windows was installed. I reinstalled Windows 11 Pro on it. After successful installation, when I rebooted my PC, it tried for diagnosing PC and ended up in blue screen. From there, I open CMD in Troubleshooting options and type chkdsk c: /f /r /x and it found more than 300 bad clusters, then it successfully boots.The problem is that, this happens each time I reboot my PC. What's the cause? Is there a problem with the hard disk

:)

Satyam_Mishra, Jan 28, 2022

2. Perform Upgrade of Windows Cluster & SQL Cluster from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2

I am looking to perform Upgrade of Windows cluster on which SQL cluster is running 2008 R2 and i have to upgrade the OS to 2012 R2.

Please can some one suggest or share some step by step guide which i can refer.

Thanks in Advance!!

Kumar

NiteshKumar10, Jan 28, 2022
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 28, 2022
  4. Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition

Checkdisk gives always the same report: Adding 7 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.

Hi all,

I hope this finds you all well in these horrible days.

I just run a few weeks ago a checkdisk /f /r /x /b on a secondary and otherwise healthy drive in my Toshiba laptop. It is a mechanical HDD.

It gave me the following conclusion:

Adding 7 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

No further action is required.

Later I repeated the test but it gave the exact same message. After this test, I realized that some of my shortcuts disappeared, but I could find them and put them back to the original folder.

And then I repeated the test again. It just keep giving me the same error.

I do not think that each time this HDD develops 7 new bad clusters. I think something is fishy about this.

What do you thing about this?

Have a nice day!

Mr. Jack Hill, Jan 28, 2022
Thema:

Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition

1. Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition - Similar Threads - Bad Clusters Partition

2. Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition: Yesterday, on Windows 11 Home, my laptop's screent went black all of a sudden. I already had backup, so, I inserted a Windows USB, and I formatted the partition on which Windows was installed. I reinstalled Windows 11 Pro on it. After successful installation, when I rebooted...
  3. reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.: I have an encrypted external HDD bitlocker. Due to badclusters, the bitlocker window hanged as soon as correct password is entered. Now somehow after repeated attempts I have managed to enter HDD. Now I am trying to repair bad clusters through chkdsk in PowerShell. Now the...
  4. reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.: I have an encrypted external HDD bitlocker. Due to badclusters, the bitlocker window hanged as soon as correct password is entered. Now somehow after repeated attempts I have managed to enter HDD. Now I am trying to repair bad clusters through chkdsk in PowerShell. Now the...
  5. reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Chkdsk finding bad cluster

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Chkdsk finding bad cluster: So I am trying to update windows, but it keeps failing over and over. Neither the cumulative update is installing, nor the 20H2 update is getting installed. So after some googling, I understood that running CHKDSK might solve the problem. So here I am trying to run CHKDSK and...
  7. How to get (with Powershell) Cluster and Sector size of partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get (with Powershell) Cluster and Sector size of partition?: How do I find out WITH POWERSHELL the current cluster size and the sector size for a partition S:\? The following does not work: Get-Volume S:\ | Format-List AllocationUnitSize, FileSystemLabel The command fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo S:\ should not be used 167816
  8. Checkdisk gives always the same report: Adding 7 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Checkdisk gives always the same report: Adding 7 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.: Hi all, I hope this finds you all well in these horrible days. I just run a few weeks ago a checkdisk /f /r /x /b on a secondary and otherwise healthy drive in my Toshiba laptop. It is a mechanical HDD. It gave me the following conclusion: Adding 7 bad clusters to the...
  9. Check Disk, bad clusters

Check Disk, bad clusters: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.523] (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\Sputh>cmd.exe Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.523] (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\Sputh>chkdsk E:/f/r The type of the file system is...
  10. Bad clusters - automatic repair can't get into computer?

Bad clusters - automatic repair can't get into computer?: So my computer came up with automatic repair - your pc did not start correctly. I don't want to lose my files so I tried system reset, restore, startup repair, basically everything. I ran a chkdsk command which told me that it moved 1 bad cluster to the bad cluster file and...