Windows 10: "Bad Image" error on my DLL after Windows Update KB4592438

Discus and support "Bad Image" error on my DLL after Windows Update KB4592438 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Temporary solution: Uninstalling update KB4592438 fixed the problem -- for now. The problem is that I receive a "Bad Image" error when an application... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Doug JL, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Doug JL Win User

"Bad Image" error on my DLL after Windows Update KB4592438

Temporary solution: Uninstalling update KB4592438 fixed the problem -- for now.

The problem is that I receive a "Bad Image" error when an application tries to open and loads a DLL, saying
    "...dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error".

The application is over 20 years old, completely unsupported, something I use pretty much all day every day, and very important to me.
    Until now I've been impressed that Windows has continued to support it this long.

I'm guessing that this security update thinks there's something wrong and perhaps dangerous about the application.
    How can I certify to the update that the application is OK?

"SFC /scannow" says all is well. Reloading the application produced the same result.
    I don't see anything anywhere in the Event Viewer at the time of the problem.
    No problems are reported by Microsoft Security.

:)

Doug JL, Dec 10, 2020
  2. K(INWA) Win User

Bad Image MSVCP120.dll and MSVCP140.dll with ERROR 0xc000012f

Bad Image MSVCP120.dll and MSVCP140.dll with ERROR 0xc000012f with several .exe files - acrobat, HRBlock, icloudservices, etc. This is a Windows 7 machine that was updated to Windows 10.

K(INWA), Dec 10, 2020
  3. Camera Win User
    Bad Image Errors - dll files changing to 0 bytes

Hi
    Have an unusual problem (to me anyway)

Last week I got "Bad Image" errors with Adobe Lightroom (the program had worked OK previously). Two .dll files were listed as corrupt and in Explorer both were shown has having 0 bytes size. Re-installation resolved the problem.
    Today I have had the same "bad image" error with another program. Techsmith SnagIt. Once again it was .dll files and they show in explorer as 0 bytes. The timestamp on the 0 byte dlls is the time of the error i.e. today (not when the files were installed).

What I've done so far :
    Ran McAfee viruscan across all disks - no problems reported.
    Ran Malwarebytes - no problems reported

Went to the properties for the disk drive and under "Tools" ran error check - nothing found
    The disk is an SSD so I went to Samsung Magician which shows drive condition as good and S.M.A.R.T. shows wear levelling count at Current Value 99. I do not use Rapid Mode.

The problems are happening on a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Any suggestions welcome

Dave

Camera, Dec 10, 2020
  4. "Bad Image" error on my DLL after Windows Update KB4592438

Bad image and .dll errors

I keep getting bad image, dll errors, and I'm unable to download anything. Originally I thought this was because of an update so I used the fresh start ability to restart everything and I still get the same errors. Could anybody help diagnose my problem?

harrisonsavery, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

"Bad Image" error on my DLL after Windows Update KB4592438

1. "Bad Image" error on my DLL after Windows Update KB4592438 - Similar Threads - Bad Image error

2. Bad Image .dll is not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Image .dll is not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.: So i started windows as usually and after logging in and waiting for 10 seconds this error showed up: C:/ProgramData/A-Volute/A-Voutle.SonicStudio3/Modules/ScheduledModules/x64/ProductInfo.dll is either not desigend to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing...
  3. vccorlib140.dll Bad Image Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    vccorlib140.dll Bad Image Error: I keep getting this error, it's really annoying. I've been trying to fix it by uninstalling Visual Studio 2015 and 2017, then reinstalling them, as I've seen in other answers, but every time I install Visual Studio 2017x86 the 2015 ones disappear from Control Panel. The other...
  4. vccorlib140.dll Bad Image Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    vccorlib140.dll Bad Image Error: I keep getting this error, it's really annoying. I've been trying to fix it by uninstalling Visual Studio 2015 and 2017, then reinstalling them, as I've seen in other answers, but every time I install Visual Studio 2017x86 the 2015 ones disappear from Control Panel. The other...
  5. KB4592438: "Bad Image" error on my DLL after Windows Update KB4592438

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB4592438: "Bad Image" error on my DLL after Windows Update KB4592438: After KB4592438 is applied to our Window 10 laptops, we are no longer able to launch an IBM Distributed Debug tool. The error we see is the following:<snip>cppym35i.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using...
  6. Windows Update Error 0x80071160 on Update KB4592438

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Error 0x80071160 on Update KB4592438: I have been trying to update my Windows 10 to the latest version KB4592438, however every time I try it stops at 100% and then shows the error 0x80071160. I have tried: Running the Windows Update Troubleshooting Clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder Running sfc /scannow...
  7. Bad Image Error on CONCRT140.dll

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad Image Error on CONCRT140.dll: I've been trying to open some of my Adobe Creative Cloud Apps Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects but I keep getting a Bad Image Error whenever I do. The error itself however says that it is CONCRT140.dll that's acting up. After looking for answers online, I tried...
  8. Bad Image MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bad Image MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll: Hi, For the past week I have gotten a lot of bad image messages. At first it was with my adobe programmes, and it seemed to be every single dll wasn't working. I have my adobe programmes on another laptop so I deleted them all from this laptop and didn't have any other...
  9. Bad Image – MSVCP140.dll error

Bad Image – MSVCP140.dll error: I recently updated to the latest version - windows 10 1809 - and now this is the message I get when I try to open the third party softwares I had(about 10 of 'em) ; Windows Warning: Bad Image – MSVCP140.dll not designed to run on Windows. ... C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCP140.dll...
  10. Bad image and .dll errors

Bad image and .dll errors: I keep getting bad image, dll errors, and I'm unable to download anything. Originally I thought this was because of an update so I used the fresh start ability to restart everything and I still get the same errors. Could anybody help diagnose my problem?...
Tags: