Windows 10: Bad Image errors after power loss, reset not working.

Discus and support Bad Image errors after power loss, reset not working. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I had a power loss on Wed. morning and since then Windows has been broken. Windows seems to startup ok. Some programs work but the Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thesmackdown, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Bad Image errors after power loss, reset not working.

Hi all,

I had a power loss on Wed. morning and since then Windows has been broken. Windows seems to startup ok. Some programs work but the Start button won't open and I am getting various errors on other program start-up, they are all related to Bad Image. Chrome.exe won't run at all.

I have tried to run sfc /scannow in admin and get to 18% before it fails with "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

I have tried DISM and that failed with error 87.

I have tried doing a reset but it fails while scanning the file system on drive F:/ (this is a Blu-ray drive). System restore gives a similar error.

I have made a USB of the Windows ISO and when I try to run setup I get a wrong environment error.

I am lost. Ideas please?

:)

thesmackdown, Jan 5, 2017
  2. rjdickens Win User

Windows 10 start-up menu

I downloaded Windows 10, all was working great. I have a power back-up tower. 4 nights ago, a bad storm rolled in. We took a power loss, tower kicked in, power came right back on. Didn't see any problems till I tried to shut down. Message read, Critical
    error occurred in start-up menu, will try to reset, sign out now. Did that, no reset. Still same, can use W/10, just can't use start-up menu. W/10 not recognizing my files in Steinberg Cubase now, was before the power hit. Tried everything, unable to reset
    start-up menu. I use this computer strictly for my recording studio, I could use some help here, RJ.

rjdickens, Jan 5, 2017
  3. Lumia 930: Battery drains fast after soft reset.

Better do a hard reset. Also charge loss after a reset is normal since a lot of power is consumed in restarting the phone.

Stranger_Hanyo, Jan 5, 2017
  4. Bad Image errors after power loss, reset not working.

Welcome to the TenForums.

I assume you have a data back. I would first ensure I had my data safely off the device. May not need it but better safe than sorry.

You might try these fixes again only run from safe mode.

If they fail then you might try chkdsk. Open a command prompt(admin) and run chkdsk /r. You will need to reboot.

Now it is possible that chkdsk will find something and in attempting to repair it might mark those sectors as bad. If these are critical files this might have an unfortunate consequence of making situation worse. So back up data.

I know it is late to be saying this bit you might want to look at an appropriately sized UPS. Where I live in the winter we get lots of "Flickers" in the grid.

You may also wish to wait to see if another member has a different idea.

Caledon Ken, Jan 5, 2017
  5. I can't get safe mode to load - I just get a black screen and an arrow with a rotating circle.

thesmackdown, Jan 5, 2017
  6. With your data backed up I would try to boot from media and then from command prompt invoke chkdsk c: /r

Caledon Ken, Jan 6, 2017
  7. Hi Ken, I tried this and it completed without finding any problems.

thesmackdown, Jan 7, 2017
  8. Bad Image errors after power loss, reset not working.

So to summarize, SFC runs so far and stops, DISM fails on error code 87. You said reset and restore fail on scanning file system on F: (not sure why it would be scanning F: unless it is highlighting a difference in versions) andyou said the USB key you made fail on wrong environment. A small bit of good news, chkdsk didn't find any errors.

Lets start back at DISM. What command did you run?

Can you post what build on Windows 10 is installed? Where and when did you get ISO for USB?

Caledon Ken, Jan 7, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    I'm wondering if there are hardware problems that are causing Windows problems. Have you already run hardware diagnostics on RAM and the HD? And going forward, please add an UPS and make sure your backup routine is actually making restorable images onto dedicated external media.

RolandJS, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Bad Image errors after power loss, reset not working.

1. Bad Image errors after power loss, reset not working. - Similar Threads - Bad Image errors

2. Bad Image error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Image error: Every time I try to open CurseForge, I get the following error:VTableHolderWndProc: OverwolfHelper.exe - bad imageC:\WINDOWS\system32\nvspcap.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. try installing the program again using the original installation...
  3. Bad Image error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Image error: Every time I try to open CurseForge, I get the following error:VTableHolderWndProc: OverwolfHelper.exe - bad imageC:\WINDOWS\system32\nvspcap.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. try installing the program again using the original installation...
  4. Bad Image error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Bad image error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad image error: I have not been on my laptop for a little while and just ended up cutting it on and the bad image error popped up, i cant even log in, it says the error status is 0xc000012f. I have tried to look and see anyway i could fix it, and all the things ive looked at you have to be...
  6. bad image error after hard resetting pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bad image error after hard resetting pc: [ATTACH] I also tried sfc scannow in cmd and it said found issue but couldnt fixand i hard reset my computer and reinstalled windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-image-error-after-hard-resetting-pc/1d813b4f-9b37-4fba-9eb5-4600df5c229d
  7. Bad Image error

Bad Image error: This problem suddenly popped up a few days ago and I already tried troubleshooting it myself by re-installing the indicated file that was supposed to be corrupted but the problem was still there. I also tried using the command prompt by entering "sfc/scannow" which I thought...
  8. Bad image error

Bad image error: I cannot able to install games and some software. The error is Bad image, C:\Windows\system32\DWrite.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system...
  9. Bad image error, nothing working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bad image error, nothing working: Taskmgr.exe - bad Image__C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d12.dll__Error status 0xc000012f. The problem started with the restart after installing updates - Cumulative update for windows 10 and Itunes for windows. After the restart first change I noticed was that at login page I...
  10. Bad image error

Bad image error: Hi, I installed Adobe Digital Editions the other day and every time I execute the program I get a "Bad image"-error for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\amdihk32.dll I have googled and tried to find a solution for this, but without any success. It is only for Adobe Digital Editions I...