Windows 10: Bad keyboard lag in Win10

Discus and support Bad keyboard lag in Win10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello All. I'm a relatively new Windows user so please bear with me. I have a newish 2019 Dell XPS 13 laptop. Everything else is fine except that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DigitalHermit, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Bad keyboard lag in Win10

Hello All.

I'm a relatively new Windows user so please bear with me. I have a newish 2019 Dell XPS 13 laptop. Everything else is fine except that there is a really annoying keyboard lag when typing. This is in all applications.

I have tried:

1. From Driver Manager, deleting the keyboard drivers and rebooting.

2. Disabled Filter Keys settings from the settings for Keyboard and the Ease of Access.

3. From regedit, checked the settings on the i8042 entries. Added PollStatusIterations key per other documentation. per https://www.howto-connect.com/fix-keyboard-running-slow-in-windows-10/

4. Disabled startup apps that may be using resources Task Manager shows the machine about 5% utilized.

5. Updated the BIOS from the Dell Support Assist tool.

I thought at first that it might be a hardware issue as it's the same behaviour in all apps. However, I booted with a USB Linux distro and the problem doesn't occur.

Based on a Google search, the problem seems almost exactly like the Filter Keys problem. If I hit a key a twice rapidly it seems to fail. E.g., for words like "fill" or "password", I'll get "fil" and "pasword". Unfortunately, none of the remediations for this worked.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. It has been incredibly frustrating.

Thanks,

KL

:)

DigitalHermit, Jan 31, 2020
  2. Jose Est Win User

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jan 31, 2020
  3. borgus Win User
    BG processes cause keyboard shortcut lag

Update, as of 12/5/15

After considerable experimentation it appears that the lag will occur when a STORE or (system) SETTINGS app (Calculator, for example) or "store" itself is listed in Task Manager background processes. Kill the process, and the lag vanishes. When the app is actually running, it is listed under APPS, not background processes. Then at random times, often after a sleep cycle or at boot, it will spontaneously appear as a background process - Calculator, Store and possibly others.

Speculated causes of this annoyance are discussed in this article and its embedded links... https://superuser.com/questions/426947/slow-windows-desktop-keyboard-shortcuts/957210#957210 where "Helen" posted a workaround...

Disable SUPERFETCH. Click START, type "services", <enter>, double-click on SUPERFETCH. Stop it. Disable it.

No performance hit has been noted by doing so, and shortcuts launched via keyboard no longer lag. Fingers crossed.

borgus, Jan 31, 2020
  4. Bad keyboard lag in Win10

Keyboard volume keys not working properly after upgrade to Win10

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Uninstall and reinstall the Keyboard driver from manufacturer’s website.

Follow these steps to Uninstall Keyboard driver.

• Press Windows key + X to select Device Manager.

• Search for Keyboard driver and expand it.

• Right click on the Keyboard driver and select Uninstall.

• Follow the onscreen directions to complete the process and restart the computer.

Further, I suggest you to download the latest keyboard drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

Bad keyboard lag in Win10

1. Bad keyboard lag in Win10 - Similar Threads - Bad keyboard lag

2. Bad lag spikes on pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad lag spikes on pc.: Hello, i get very bad lag spikes on my pc and i think it is related to my GPU i have tried cleaning my pc for dust and although i had alot of dust in my pc removing it had little effect on my pc performance, mg GPU and sometimes CPU seems to be getting overloaded i think.This...
  3. Computer games lagging badly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer games lagging badly: My computer has been lagging badly for the past 3 weeks this lag problem started basically out of nowhere as it was fine before. I noticed when I play roblox my ping will fluctuate throughout the day from averaging 70-90ms of ping then suddenly spiking to 1000ms where the...
  4. Pc lagging bad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc lagging bad: Please HelpI don’t know much about computers. I tried putting new ram 32GB4X 8GB DDR3L/DDR3 1600MHz in my pc and after that my computer became super laggy and its performance is unstable. I thought the new ram wasn’t working out so I took them out and put back the old ram...
  5. Pc lagging bad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc lagging bad: Please HelpI don’t know much about computers. I tried putting new ram 32GB4X 8GB DDR3L/DDR3 1600MHz in my pc and after that my computer became super laggy and its performance is unstable. I thought the new ram wasn’t working out so I took them out and put back the old ram...
  6. Pc lagging bad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. TOUCHPAD IS LAGGING SO BAD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TOUCHPAD IS LAGGING SO BAD: my touchpad is delayed SOO BAD i neeed help URGENTLY please respond FASTanyways, i am on a lenovo thinkpad laptop and my touchpad is delaying, specifically when i'm running applications and hold my touchpad for a long time, i also have the best drivers. what to do? it also...
  8. TOUCHPAD IS LAGGING SO BAD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TOUCHPAD IS LAGGING SO BAD: my touchpad is delayed SOO BAD i neeed help URGENTLY please respond FASTanyways, i am on a lenovo thinkpad laptop and my touchpad is delaying, specifically when i'm running applications and hold my touchpad for a long time, i also have the best drivers. what to do? it also...
  9. the lagging is really bad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the lagging is really bad: I really like to play video game every time I try a big video it's just lagging for example I tried to play fornite as soon as I opened it was lagging so bad and if that ain't worst the computer closed the game by it self, like I really wanna know what is going on and hat...
  10. Really Bad Mouse Lag

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Really Bad Mouse Lag: Hi folks, I've been having a lot of trouble with my mouse lagging. Just moving it across the screen will sometimes cause it to lag. I wouldn't say that there is anything specific causing it sense it happens when I'm browsing the web, managing files on my desktop, and...