Windows 10: Bad microphone quality after windows reinstall

Discus and support Bad microphone quality after windows reinstall in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had a decent external microphone that I could connect either via usb or 3.5mm jack with decent quality until I did a repair install. Now the quality... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ToXicShadow, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Bad microphone quality after windows reinstall

I had a decent external microphone that I could connect either via usb or 3.5mm jack with decent quality until I did a repair install. Now the quality is pretty bad. How do I fix that?

:)

ToXicShadow, Apr 18, 2021
  2. Smittychat., Apr 18, 2021
  3. Naveen_M Win User
    Cant change microphone quality

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I'd suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you're able to change the microphone quality.

1. Click on Start icon.

2. Type Manage audio devices and press Enter.

3. Click on Recording tab.

4. Right click on the Microphone and select Properties.

5. Click on Advanced tab.

6. Set the sample rate to CD Quality or DVD Quality.

7. Click on Apply and OK.

Restart the system and check. Update us on the result.

Hope it helps.

Naveen M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Naveen_M, Apr 18, 2021
  4. Mangasp Win User

Bad microphone quality after windows reinstall

Windows 10 USB Microphone quietness + low quality (AT2020 USB)

Hi,

There is a significant problem with the the new generation of Windows which is to do with (mostly) professional USB microphones, mine being the Audio Technica AT2020 USB Plus. The microphone input by default is far too quiet (and also slightly lower quality). This problem occurs in Windows 10, however it worked perfectly in Windows 7.

The solution, I repeat, is NOT turning up the percentage level, DB, or boosting the microphone. For someone who intends to record professional audio, this solution is effectively what "digital zoom" is in a camera, simply boosting the audio in its entirety, even though the input volume is simply not what it should actually be. This results in noise becoming louder, and many other various imperfections.

Things I have tried:

• Reinstall/update the driver. There are no drivers except the generic Windows 10 USB microphone drivers. They worked perfectly on Windows 7 but after that they were completely broken.
    • Contact the manufacturer. I contacted Audio Technica and explained how this is a call they get often, and that it is a problem with Windows. The only way they said it could be fixed is with some form of Windows update which matches the driver format of Windows 7.
    • Boost the volume. Artificially boosting the volume in any way results in quality loss and is in no way a valid solution. This works for some people, but mostly it is just hiding the problem.
    • Run the recording audio troubleshooter. All this does is check to make sure the audio services are running and that the microphone is detected. Neither of those are the source of the problem, therefore this fixes nothing. Neither will any other troubleshooter.
    • Install Windows updates. As of this post, there is no Windows update that fixes this. I've installed every update for the past 2 years and they've done nothing to address this. Unless an update has been released that specifically addresses this, installing updates will fix nothing.
    • Contact Microsoft support. This helped slightly as it gave me a few different things to do, but all of them have been in vain.
    • Run a virtual machine of Windows 7. Not only is this extremely tedious, but it simply doesn't work correctly. Even if the microphone was working in its original Windows 7 format and as far as I know, a virtual machine is simply not made to record audio at high quality. This was suggested by Microsoft Support. VM tried: VirtualBox.
    • Install previous audio codecs and drivers. I have tried to install previous audio drivers from Windows 7 onto Windows 10 with no success. This was also suggested by Microsoft support.

This was NEVER a problem in Windows 7. This problem has been on the forums of Microsoft Support for over 2 years with no clear solution.
    Name of my laptop: MSI GL62 6QD

Any, and I mean ANY help would be appreciated about solving this problem, thank you.

Mangasp, Apr 18, 2021
Thema:

Bad microphone quality after windows reinstall

1. Bad microphone quality after windows reinstall - Similar Threads - Bad microphone quality

2. Bad quality issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad quality issue: From the Image above, it's clear that the quality is very pixelated.What's the issue and how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-quality-issue/8d6bf79c-a4ef-43b4-a7c9-37696db42691
  3. Bad quality issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad quality issue: From the Image above, it's clear that the quality is very pixelated.What's the issue and how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-quality-issue/8d6bf79c-a4ef-43b4-a7c9-37696db42691
  4. Bad video quality.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad video quality.: For a years, every time I try to play an online or downloaded video even if its 4k, the video looks washed, bad and almost pixelated. No matter where I play the video. Present in YT and all streaming websites, even when I download the video it s the same.I have tried...
  5. AirPods Pro Sound Quality Bad When Using Microphone.

AirPods Pro Sound Quality Bad When Using Microphone.: My AirPods Pro 2nd Generation sound good when I am using them normally. However, when I start using the microphone, the sound quality degrades significantly. For example, when I am playing a game and using the microphone to talk to others, the sound quality is bad but when I...
  6. Bad Microphone Quality after turning on Audio Enhancements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Microphone Quality after turning on Audio Enhancements: Hello, I've been experiencing some issue ever since.So basically, as soon as I turn on Audio Enhancements for my Microphone the quality becomes very low and bad, and it sounds like Low Quality and Noise suppressed at the same time.I know that the solution to this problem is...
  7. Bad Microphone Quality after turning on Audio Enhancements

Bad Microphone Quality after turning on Audio Enhancements: Hello, I've been experiencing some issue ever since.So basically, as soon as I turn on Audio Enhancements for my Microphone the quality becomes very low and bad, and it sounds like Low Quality and Noise suppressed at the same time.I know that the solution to this problem is...
  8. Bad Quality Font

in Windows 10 Support
    Bad Quality Font: Lately I have been having low quality font and I am not sure what is causing this. I have tried playing around with cleartype (which is enabled) but with little effect. I don't really want to format to resolve this issue. [img] 164068
  9. Bad video quality

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bad video quality: Hi I have an issue everytime i play one of the videos i have on my computer. The quality decreases alot and at times almost become pixelated. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-video-quality/120db195-f194-436e-97a1-68a4ba4bdd8d
  10. Bad microphone quality

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad microphone quality: Hello, I've just updated to the latest version of windows (1903) and now my microphone is sounding really bad. It was crystal clear before I updated and I don't know what I can do to fix this. Help would be appreciated....