Windows 10: bad sectors on hd and win 10 wont boot now

Discus and support bad sectors on hd and win 10 wont boot now in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi All, I need to low level format my hd as it has bad sectors on it and then install win 10 home. Win 10 is not booting and says no system found.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by johnrandall2, Aug 10, 2019.

1. bad sectors on hd and win 10 wont boot now

Hi All,

I need to low level format my hd as it has bad sectors on it and then install win 10 home. Win 10 is not booting and says no system found.

Can anyone tell me how to format the hd via say a memory stick and then install win 10

Thanks

John

:)

johnrandall2, Aug 10, 2019

2. HDD Bad Sector

Hi Nataniel!

I am not sure what your question is exactly, but one thing I'd recommend for sure will be to look for a replacement drive since there is already a bad sector on your current one.

Basically there are two kinds of bad sectors - hardware and software:

• Hardware ones are caused by physical damage or becoming magnetically fixed, and they are unrepairable. In short, once they appear it's only a matter of time (no way to say how long) until the HDD fails.
    • Software bad sectors on the other hand occur when something called an Error Correction Code (ECC) doesn't match the contents of the hard drive. These can be repaired by overwriting the data on the drive with zeroes (a.k.a. low level formatting) and sometimes
      by running a **chkdsk [write the letter of the drive:] /r** in the CMD.

As for getting the information from the drive if one of the partitions fail, most likely you won't be able to, which is why I'd suggest to make a regular backup of your most important data.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

MightyMiro_WD, Aug 10, 2019
  3. Datkur Win User
    Win 10 HD went BAD and now cannot dual boot after attempting restore image

HD Fail, need to restore dual boot system Win 10 and Win 7

1) Installed Win 10 from iso in April 2016.

2) Original system was Win 7 Home Premium so this resulted in a dual boot system which has had no problems.

3) A few days ago received notification in POST that the HD containing Win 10 OS was bad.

4) Made image of Win 10 partition on external USB HD. Also tried to use Paragon Back Up and Recovery to create an image but this failed with Disk I/O error.

5) Used Hiren to test HD with HD regenerator which showed multiple bad sectors which were recovered. But due to long time, only tested the first 140GB which should have covered OS partition.

6) Installed SSD and formatted from Win 7 system.

7) Tried to restore Windows Image from 4). But image not locatable and worked through all the options to try to restore.

8) After installing Win 10 originally, I made an image using Paragon which was the bare bones Win 10 immediately after installation. I used this to restore Win 10 onto SSD. Network was disconnected for the remainder of these steps since I did not want to complcate
    the issue by Win 10 trying to instal updates.

9) System would not dual boot and had to choose "Use another OS" which took me into Win 7 which was OK.

10) Removed Win 7 HD so only system was the restored Win 10 on SSD. But this failed to boot into Win 10 with File \Boot\BCD missing.

11) Used win 10 recovery CD to repair Start Up and Win 10 finally booted up and seemd OK.

12) System then shut down with Critical Process Died error. Rebooted back into Win 10 and seemd OK but eventually another critical process died message.

Questions :

1) What is best way to get back to dual boot system ?

2) If I do a clean install from the Win 10 iso (which seems to be the only option left), will this incur a charge from Microsoft since I am past the date for the free upgrade.

Datkur, Aug 10, 2019
  4. bad sectors on hd and win 10 wont boot now

Win 10 HD went BAD and now cannot dual boot after attempting restore image

A few days ago received notification in POST that the HD containing Win 10 OS was bad.

Made image of Win 10 partition on external USB HD.

-> That's like taking out a fire insurance policy after noticing the flames in the roof of your house.

To restore dual booting, do this:

• Create at least two disk partitions.
    • Install Win 7 in the first partition, using your Win7 installation DVD.
    • Boot the machine with your Windows 10 media creation tool and install Windows 10 in the second partition.
    Since your machine already had Windows 10, it remains registered and you will not need and product key.

Frederik Long, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

bad sectors on hd and win 10 wont boot now

1. bad sectors on hd and win 10 wont boot now - Similar Threads - bad sectors wont

2. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  3. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  4. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad sectors: Windows replaced bad clusters in file CD of name windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI GAMING 3. ETL. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 365 of name \PROGRA-2\INCRED-1\Logs\BUILDS-1. LOG....
  5. Temporary Fix for Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Temporary Fix for Bad Sectors: I have an HDD on my laptop with lots of bad sectors (CrystalDiskInfo said that my HDD is already in bad condition), I'm going to get a free replacement but I can't afford to have a day without a laptop for now, since the replacement will take 4-14 days. I also don't have any...
  6. Help With Bad Sectors

Help With Bad Sectors: I've been having some problems with my hard drive, and I need some help. I need to know if there is a way to fix or delete the bad sectors and clone the drive to a new one (tried a few cloning softwares but none work). Another note is that when I try chkdsk the ETA keeps...
  7. Boot sector

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot sector: In someone reason boot is maked on disk 1, not in disc 0????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-sector/c24b6009-9c7b-4b82-957d-e41eb5ecbc2b
  8. Macrium Reflect claims bad sector(s), Windows 10 says no bad sectors

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect claims bad sector(s), Windows 10 says no bad sectors: (For background, I ran a Macrium Reflect image backup on December 22, 2019 and it worked) So I ran a new Macrium Reflect (free home version) image backup a short while ago, and it failed at the end; I got the "Macrium backup aborted unable to read from disk error code 23"...
  9. Bad sectors in HDD question

Bad sectors in HDD question: I got a new HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB this August 2019. And now I have 2016 bad sectors in it. My previous WD 1 TB HDD which was 1 year old also failed due to bad sectors. I wanted to ask why my new HDDs getting bad sectors so quickly. I shut down my pc properly and I do...
  10. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad sectors: Hi I was just wondering if there were bad sectors on a hard drive, would replacing it help because ive tried checking disk and scanning it and tried to fix it with command prompt but it doesnt seem to work....