Windows 10: Bad Sectors

Discus and support Bad Sectors in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ArminFlash, May 23, 2022.

1. Bad Sectors

Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system?

:)

ArminFlash, May 23, 2022

2. HDD Bad Sector

Hi Nataniel!

I am not sure what your question is exactly, but one thing I'd recommend for sure will be to look for a replacement drive since there is already a bad sector on your current one.

Basically there are two kinds of bad sectors - hardware and software:

• Hardware ones are caused by physical damage or becoming magnetically fixed, and they are unrepairable. In short, once they appear it's only a matter of time (no way to say how long) until the HDD fails.
    • Software bad sectors on the other hand occur when something called an Error Correction Code (ECC) doesn't match the contents of the hard drive. These can be repaired by overwriting the data on the drive with zeroes (a.k.a. low level formatting) and sometimes
      by running a **chkdsk [write the letter of the drive:] /r** in the CMD.

As for getting the information from the drive if one of the partitions fail, most likely you won't be able to, which is why I'd suggest to make a regular backup of your most important data.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

MightyMiro_WD, May 23, 2022
  3. BAD SECTORS ON HDD, REFORMAT AND REINSTALL W10 FREE UPGRADE

Hi,

Thank you for providing us with the response to our questions.

I suggest you to run Check disk and check if it helps. Remove your external Hard drive and perform the steps on your system:

Check disk is a utility that can check your hard drive for corrupted segments and fix them. You can refer to these steps to run the Check disk utility:

• Press Windows key + X, select “Command promt (Admin)”.

• In the command prompt window, type
      “chkdsk/r” and press Enter.

• Press “Y” when it asks if you want to check disk to run when the computer boots the next time.

• Restart the computer for Check disk to detect and repair any corrupted sectors in your hard drive.
    Important: While performing Error-checking or ChkDsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found and when attempting to repair that sector, the
    data available on that sector might b
    e lost.

Please let us know if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, May 23, 2022
  4. S-and-S Win User

Bad Sectors

Bad sectors

1. 0xc000020 is not an error attributable to bad sectors.

2. Bad sectors aren't contagious - they don't spread to other sectors.

It's clear to me that you're bent on fixing a problem that may not even exist, so I'll wish you well and leave you in the hands of Directly's 'independent advisors' who will, no doubt, come up with something that you want to hear.

S-and-S, May 23, 2022
Thema:

Bad Sectors

1. Bad Sectors - Similar Threads - Bad Sectors

2. Before I do Recovery, again, any suggestions how to isolate bad sectors before recovery?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Before I do Recovery, again, any suggestions how to isolate bad sectors before recovery?: I have 3 former windows 10 devices now on windows 11. They all seemed to do fine but one. It does fine for a few days as I carefully add new apps, make Systems changes to suit, and somewhere along the line it starts dimming and brightening. Add to that I am now running DISM...
  3. Before I do Recovery, again, any suggestions how to isolate bad sectors before recovery?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Before I do Recovery, again, any suggestions how to isolate bad sectors before recovery?: I have 3 former windows 10 devices now on windows 11. They all seemed to do fine but one. It does fine for a few days as I carefully add new apps, make Systems changes to suit, and somewhere along the line it starts dimming and brightening. Add to that I am now running DISM...
  4. will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other...: will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other errors, or do i have to rely on other means of detecting a failing "history" disk? Expecially external. Should I? Can I... mirror two external drives if not?...
  5. will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other...

will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other...: will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other errors, or do i have to rely on other means of detecting a failing "history" disk? Expecially external. Should I? Can I... mirror two external drives if not?...
  6. Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss: Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/commands-to-repair-bad-sectors-in-external-hard/e31d2890-c7e4-41e7-b302-18f67357b503
  7. Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss: Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/commands-to-repair-bad-sectors-in-external-hard/d6388c33-0377-4e3e-8602-7eb877d66909
  8. Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss

Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss: Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/commands-to-repair-bad-sectors-in-external-hard/e31d2890-c7e4-41e7-b302-18f67357b503
  9. Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss

Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss: Commands to Repair Bad Sectors in External Hard Disk w/o Full Dtaa Loss https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/commands-to-repair-bad-sectors-in-external-hard/d6388c33-0377-4e3e-8602-7eb877d66909
  10. How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??: Lenovo scanned my system and it said that my hard drive failed the Targeted Read test, tried fixing it but it couldn't and it's 8 bad sectors. I've ran sfcscannow, chkdsk, DISM and nothing seems to be able to fix this. Do I need a new hard drive? this one is only about three...