Windows 10: Barely any apps opening, including settings

Discus and support Barely any apps opening, including settings in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been having an issue with my computer. I first noticed it when I went to change the volume, and soon realized almost none of the taskbar is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by thunderstormm, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Barely any apps opening, including settings

I've been having an issue with my computer. I first noticed it when I went to change the volume, and soon realized almost none of the taskbar is working. The settings app won't open, except for when I right click the sound button and go to sound settings, in which case if I try to search through settings or press home it crashes. Other apps, like Steam and Minecraft and even the calculator app aren't working for me either, all getting an error when I try to open them. I've tried to update, but as I said, I can't open the settings to update. I've restarted and powered off and on my computer too

:)

thunderstormm, Oct 1, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Barely any apps opening, including settings :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 1, 2021
  3. philc43 Win User
    Cannot open mail app settings

OK, my next suggestion was going to be uninstalling Mail and Calendar and reinstalling from the Windows Store. You can have a go at this by following these steps.

1. Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell.
    2. Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    3. Enter the below command to remove the Mail and calendar app.

get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

After performing the above steps, install the Mail and calendar app from the Windows Store.

Hope this helps, you will, of course, have to add you accounts back again.

philc43, Oct 1, 2021
  4. Callender Win User

Barely any apps opening, including settings

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

You can't use it to add additional programs, only to set default programs.

Interestingly for me it shows nothing for text files:

Barely any apps opening, including settings [​IMG]

Then if I want to add a portable app like Jarte Plus to open with context menu windows doesn't like it.

It's not present and is near impossible to add even via "look for an app on this PC"

OpenWithAdd to the rescue:

Result:

Callender, Oct 1, 2021
Thema:

Barely any apps opening, including settings

1. Barely any apps opening, including settings - Similar Threads - Barely apps opening

2. my pc is not allowing me to open any apps including settings and my window key is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my pc is not allowing me to open any apps including settings and my window key is not working: I am able to open Steam, Opera, And Epic Launcher. I am able to get to the Command bar but hardly anything else. I've tried running a scan but nothing happened and im not sure where to go from here. I know im not giving much but i'd love some help with my issue and if i need...
  3. my pc is not allowing me to open any apps including settings and my window key is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my pc is not allowing me to open any apps including settings and my window key is not working: I am able to open Steam, Opera, And Epic Launcher. I am able to get to the Command bar but hardly anything else. I've tried running a scan but nothing happened and im not sure where to go from here. I know im not giving much but i'd love some help with my issue and if i need...
  4. Can't open .PNG files with any program including Photos but according to the settings it...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open .PNG files with any program including Photos but according to the settings it...: Hi!I recently have been having this problem. I'm on Windows 10 Before May 2021 update and PNG files are acting like they don't exist.Basically, with any program, I can't open .png files. It just says "Sorry, we don't accept this format.". The icons won't load, either. I found...
  5. does the windows backup include apps and settings?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    does the windows backup include apps and settings?: when I restore from backup, will all my apps and windows setting be there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-the-windows-backup-include-apps-and-settings/38a9065a-9252-4660-8e29-504fba0de9f9
  6. Windows Apps, including Settings, will not open.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Apps, including Settings, will not open.: I'm not sure what happened, but I have not been able to open the settings app. I tried a few suggestions from similar posts on here, however nothing seems to work. Running sfc /scannow, as suggested, yielded a message saying that files were corrupt but could not be repaired....
  7. Can't open settings or any apps or settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open settings or any apps or settings: I restarted my surface pro that runs windows completely and it started up fine but I was unable to open up anything. I couldn't connect to networks because I open the wifi program. I could not open up my Start either or my action dialog notification panel or anything. I cant...
  8. Bare Minimum Settings / Services

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Bare Minimum Settings / Services: Hello all, I have an old computer that I have in the garage running Windows 10. It has Opera install and I essentially want to use it to watch BT Sport / Netflix while I am cycling on my exercise bike. I'm having the 100% disk usage problem and started looking for a .bat...
  9. Barely any apps running. 87% ram used, 87% committed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Barely any apps running. 87% ram used, 87% committed.: 8gb ram. 6gb pagefile. Barely have anything running. Committed and physical ram are at 87% and won't release. I close all programs, and memory use is still high. And then it gives me low memory warning and asks me to close firefox. This never happened in Windows 7...
  10. Items from "Settings" app not included in Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Items from "Settings" app not included in Search: Hello, Recently I have a problem with the Search feature. The "Settings" app items like Check for Updates are not included in Search or search box in Settings app anymore, only items from Control Panel are shown. Seems like this problem happened after last update Windows...