Windows 10: Barely anything on my pc works, I need help formatting ssd or hdd, overwriting or updating...

Discus and support Barely anything on my pc works, I need help formatting ssd or hdd, overwriting or updating... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was updating my pc and while it was updating my power went out. Later when everything turned back on I tried to finish the update and it blue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Impossible_Ad7203, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Barely anything on my pc works, I need help formatting ssd or hdd, overwriting or updating...

I was updating my pc and while it was updating my power went out. Later when everything turned back on I tried to finish the update and it blue screened. I rebooted it and when I did everything seemed fine. I could turn it on and login, but when i logged in barely anything worked. I could open things but pressing the windows key wouldn’t work, searching on my computer wouldn’t work. Not even the volume setting or WiFi settings would work. I made a post about it here but it got deleted so I making a new one. But someone did tell me to format my ssd or hdd and then update or overwrite my bios. Then after doing that to do a cmos reset, but I’m not exactly sure how to do any of that. Please help

submitted by /u/Impossible_Ad7203
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Impossible_Ad7203, Nov 23, 2020
  2. JSansoP Win User

Fresh Windows Install on SSD, while formatting HDD

Okay, so basically I format the HDD in the Installation process without really installing it, then I install the SSD and uninstall the HDD, then Install Windows on the SSD, then shut down the pc again and connect the HDD, finally adding a Simple Volume on
    the Unallocated Space of the HDD, right?

To know what cable to remove to disconnect the HDD from the motherboard, I should look at the Laptop's instructions, right?

Thanks in advance.

JSansoP, Nov 23, 2020
  3. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Nov 23, 2020
  4. Barely anything on my pc works, I need help formatting ssd or hdd, overwriting or updating...

I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.

So I have a samsung 250gb ssd (CBarely anything on my pc works, I need help formatting ssd or hdd, overwriting or updating... :) and a hdd (EBarely anything on my pc works, I need help formatting ssd or hdd, overwriting or updating... :). My ssd contains windows on it along with some programs and my hdd has mostly games and programs. I want to format both of them, but I am unable to do it in Disk Managment. For both of them the format button
    is greyed out. How do I format both of them without damaging the SSD?

LukaMijatovic, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

Barely anything on my pc works, I need help formatting ssd or hdd, overwriting or updating...

1. Barely anything on my pc works, I need help formatting ssd or hdd, overwriting or updating... - Similar Threads - Barely anything works

2. SSD won’t format, wipe, anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD won’t format, wipe, anything: Rust on steam was consistently crashing. i updated all drivers and problem still occurred. after opening steam it shows an invalid platform error. then randomly the D: file will just disappear. chkdsk came back completely clean before it disappeared. not it says disk is raw...
  3. SSD won’t format, wipe, anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD won’t format, wipe, anything: Rust on steam was consistently crashing. i updated all drivers and problem still occurred. after opening steam it shows an invalid platform error. then randomly the D: file will just disappear. chkdsk came back completely clean before it disappeared. not it says disk is raw...
  4. my pc is barely working i need help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my pc is barely working i need help: i have a gaming pc which has worked fine up until now. i downloaded a game called return or reckoning to play with a friend, game worked fine but after my pc started messing up. steam games sometimes dont launch and if they do they really struggle to load and i cant play,...
  5. barely anything works

in Windows 10 Customization
    barely anything works: ok so I think my main issue is that shift is stuck so I can't use any punctuations no numbers can't even scroll down without clicking the slider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/barely-anything-works/7fae9c70-b15b-4010-bd99-b062446c1e1e
  6. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  7. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  8. SSD showing full storage, but barely anything installed.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD showing full storage, but barely anything installed.: All I have downloaded on my SSD is Windows and a couple of drivers for audio, chipset etc. But when I check to see how to free space up, it says 80 gb are in downloads and applications, but when I go to the uninstall and make it the ssd drive sorted by largest files first it...
  9. I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.: So I have a samsung 250gb ssd (C:) and a hdd (E:). My ssd contains windows on it along with some programs and my hdd has mostly games and programs. I want to format both of them, but I am unable to do it in Disk Managment. For both of them the format button is greyed out. How...
  10. Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?: If so, what are my options? This HDD came from HP w/Win 7. I upgraded it to Win 10 but would like to clone it to the SSD for the speed increase. Thanks in advance, jeff 40208