Windows 10: Basic...cannot get on a private network in my own house with my router...on windows 10...

Discus and support Basic...cannot get on a private network in my own house with my router...on windows 10... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot connect to my network...it seems simple...I know the basics...maybe a little more...I connected a windows 10 pro system...connected and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PaulBatra, May 14, 2020.

1. PaulBatra Win User

Basic...cannot get on a private network in my own house with my router...on windows 10...

I cannot connect to my network...it seems simple...I know the basics...maybe a little more...I connected a windows 10 pro system...connected and I cannot see the other devices on the network..it actually picks up one random device and its not accessible..it seems to be a firewall or security problem...homegroup is gone...I have another windows 10 home...all devices showing up there...help me..please...thanks

:)

PaulBatra, May 14, 2020

2. Error: "Can create home group in private network only" - the wireless network is private though

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about connecting to HomeGroup network with error: Can create home group in private network only, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that this issue might have occurred due to settings in the Network type on Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to check with the network type on Windows 10, try the below:

Right click on the Network icon in the System tray
    and click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Here you will see the network you are connected to and what type of network Windows 10 has identified it as. (Private/ Public).

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to change the network type to Private if it is not and check if it helps.

• Log-in as an Administrator, on the desktop, click on the Network system icon in the taskbar notification area.
    • Right click on your network connection and click on
      Turn sharing on or off
    • Click on Yes, turn on sharing and connect to devices.

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt and check if it helps.

For reference: HomeGroup problems in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, May 14, 2020
  3. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, May 14, 2020
  4. JHarvey3 Win User

Basic...cannot get on a private network in my own house with my router...on windows 10...

Windows 10 (Build 1803) Private Networking problem

Hi, I have a home network with 1 pc (win10), 1 PC (XP), new router (with attached storage) and various other non windows devices.

The relevant networking connections are all via a (wired) Lan.

The behaviour of the PCs is:

• The router can see all the devices inc both windows PCs as being connected.
    • The XP-pc can R/W to the router USB storage & now also to the Win10-pc Shared folder.
    • The Win10-pc shows the router under Windows Explorer (RH pane) as an available device but not the XP-PC, BUT no network devices shown can be accessed.

So basically I can do a 2-way transfer from the XP-PC but not from the win10-pc.

The win10-PC uses Bitdefender (with the Windows Defender disabled).

I have looked at numerous websites (including MS) and have applied the following suggestions to the win10-pc:

1. - Disabling the Firewall & AV.
    2. - Network set to Private
    3. - File & Printer Sharing for MS networks - ON
    4. - Network discovery & File/Printer sharing - ON
    5. - Services: Function Discovery - 2modules - Running
    6. - Services: Peer modules : Name Resolution gives error 0x80630203 when Started & Network Grouping gives error 1068, Networking Identity Manager - Running I understand from other internet posts that these are no longer required as they were used by the
      old Win File Mgr Network Sharing facility.
    7. - SMB 1.0/CIFS client - ON
    8. - IP V6 disabled
    9. - File Explorer - Shared folder set to: Give Access to "Everyone" ---- but this should not affect the reported problem above.
    10. - Win 10 fully up to date.

-----------------

From all this I still cannot access other private network files.

As I wish to purchase a NAS device I really need this problem solving.

I am surprised that alternatives to the old Network sharing facility have not been fully tested or if they have, that these are not straightforward to use, as this networking requirement is as basic as it gets.

I am now out of ideas so hopefully someone out there will have overcome a problem like this and can advise of a cure/ fix.

JHarvey3, May 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Basic...cannot get on a private network in my own house with my router...on windows 10... - Similar Threads - Basic cannot private

2. My PC cannot detect my house's wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC cannot detect my house's wifi: My PC cannot detect my house's wifi on the available list after reinstall win 7 system, I already update my wifi adapter driver but not fix.Other wifi can show on the list accept my house wifi. My wifi adapter is dwa-123 wireless n 150 USB adapter. Please help me solve...
  3. My PC cannot detect my house's wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC cannot detect my house's wifi: My PC cannot detect my house's wifi on the available list after reinstall win 7 system, I already update my wifi adapter driver but not fix.Other wifi can show on the list accept my house wifi. My wifi adapter is dwa-123 wireless n 150 USB adapter. Please help me solve...
  4. Combining my house network and my mobile data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Combining my house network and my mobile data?: Hi all I normally have a 6mb/s download with my ethernet. I want to combine that with the mobile wifi from my phone. I tried bridging them together but then its only at around 4 mb/s. Is that even possible? Thx submitted by /u/KuhlerTuep [link] [comments]...
  5. I cannot change my Windows 10 Ethernet Network to Private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot change my Windows 10 Ethernet Network to Private: I cannot change my Windows 10 Ethernet Network to Private [Home version 2004]. I click on Unidentified Network No Internet to open the Settings Network and Internet. I click on Unidentified Network No Internet to open the properties for Unidentified Network. It gives me...
  6. Can't access router admin page on private network

Can't access router admin page on private network: I have noticed that I am unable to access my router's admin/log in page if my network is set to private. I have checked to make the sure that the browsers are on the list of apps to be allowed through the firewall. I have disabled Windows Defender. I have checked 3 different...
  7. i losty my private i my own house..#

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i losty my private i my own house..#: hello my name is Marijo from Croatia smoke some cigares thinking about money...i have problem with google last 2 years from internet 9 years i have papir that you can alow and do some staf some infromation to take safe yor licence and save the some case yes my private is...
  8. Cannot RD into a PC that appears on my private network

Cannot RD into a PC that appears on my private network: Hello, I have a PC that does appear on my private wifi network where it is set to be discoverable. It also shows up on my public wifi network (home network) and I can remote into it. Both networks are 2.4 GH. On that PC I have set the computer up to be discoverable and...
  9. Bind server to port on a private network connection (no router)

Bind server to port on a private network connection (no router): Hi! I have a wired Ethernet connection between a PC and a Mac (is that the issue?), and when locally hosted servers (on PC) are hosted, I get issues, but mainly issues binding to ports. Is the issue that I am not using a router or something like that? 47561
  10. Cannot get home network connection set to private!

Cannot get home network connection set to private!: I'm uncertain how long the connection to my home network has said it's 'public'. Thankfully, I can still get here on my laptop. However, my new RCA tablet/pc, which was running 8.1 (I upgraded to 10 out of the box), will not let me get to the internet (which is how I learned...