Windows 10: Basic Question about User Permissions

Discus and support Basic Question about User Permissions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to set up a second user on my laptop (Windows 10) for the first time. The idea is to give a colleague access to a single folder and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ryanleeh, Apr 19, 2019.

1. ryanleeh Win User

Basic Question about User Permissions

Hello, I am trying to set up a second user on my laptop (Windows 10) for the first time. The idea is to give a colleague access to a single folder and its subfolders, but not its parent folders or any other folders on the machine. I have created a new user and, from the admin account, given her Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read permissions. However, when I log into her account to test access, the folder is nowhere to be found. What am I missing?

Thanks!

:)

ryanleeh, Apr 19, 2019

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Apr 19, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Apr 19, 2019
  4. Basic Question about User Permissions

Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Basic Question about User Permissions 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Apr 19, 2019
Thema:

Basic Question about User Permissions

1. Basic Question about User Permissions - Similar Threads - Basic Question User

2. A question about signing out of a user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A question about signing out of a user: So this may seem like a dumb question, but does signing out of a user remove that user’s name from the login screen? Normally I have two users available on my login screen and after selecting one I just have to enter the password. However, one has disappeared and I was...
  3. Question about user accounts/security

Question about user accounts/security: Windows recommends a standard user account. All these years I have been installing and using the main default account you create when you fresh install windows 10. I heard that this is possibly not safe? I know there is a hidden "Administrator" account and I assumed that was...
  4. question about user password expiration

question about user password expiration: in a enviroment where are some users in a domain, who determines if a password expires or not? the PC or LDAP? submitted by /u/acid8k [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gkhd3m/question_about_user_password_expiration/
  5. Basic question about microsoft store

Basic question about microsoft store: If I login in microsoft store, is going to be only for the store or for the whole system? submitted by /u/Chuil01 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ervu3c/basic_question_about_microsoft_store/
  6. Permissions - Basic Questions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions - Basic Questions: 1) Has Microsoft changed the names they use for Principal in WIndows 10 versus Windows 7? 2) The following file (see original and new) -- prior to my messing with editing permissions -- had a line for "Trusted Installer". After playing with permissions I attempted to put...
  7. New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please): Hello, Brand new user. a. The new PC came with McAfee anti virus. Should I use it ? Is it as good as AVG, e.g., which I used on my old W7 PC ? Use them both ? b. And, how do I turn on the "Defender" anti virus which I understand is part of the W10 package ?...
  8. A basic question about occassional BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A basic question about occassional BSOD: I can see that BSOD can be a can of worms, and don't want to tangle with it unless necessary (as I have some other issues I am dealing with). I only get BSOD infrequently, usually a few weeks apart, they don't persist, and the machine runs well for a while after the 100%...
  9. Basic questions about DISM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Basic questions about DISM: My wife's laptop has a corruption that sfc /scannow could not fix so I am going to try DISM. But first I have some basic questions. (And please forgive any incorrect terminology in the questions.) Last Sept I used the MCT to build a USB flash memory with Win10 AU. I read...
  10. A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User

in Windows 10 Support
    A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User: Hello, Thanks for previous help. Sure is a lot to know. Blame it on old age now. A few questions, please: a. How can I have the PC, when it is shut off entirely, also shut off the Monitor (entirely) ? b. When not using overnight, is it "better" to let the PC go...