Windows 10: Batch change of file extensions - Windows 10

Discus and support Batch change of file extensions - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have recovered 900 photos, these now have the .chk file extension. I can change individual files to .jpg and then the image is fine. I now need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RNC1000, Oct 1, 2019.

1. RNC1000 Win User

Batch change of file extensions - Windows 10

I have recovered 900 photos, these now have the .chk file extension. I can change individual files to .jpg and then the image is fine. I now need to convert all 900 in one folder. Hopefully there is a method to run a 'batch' conversion. Grateful for any advice please.

:)

RNC1000, Oct 1, 2019

2. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

Hello,

Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following:

CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here

REN *.jpg *.tif

This changes every file that has a JPG extension to a TIF. I'm trying to replicate the same thing, but do it in a batch file, but I keep throwing an error that says "The system cannot find the file specified." I'm not sure if the syntax has to be different
    as a batch file as opposed to just typing it into Windows Command Line itself. Here is the code I have now:

Code:
    title Image File Extension ChangeECHO Finding directory, please wait.CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\HereECHO Renaming files, please wait.

ren *.jpg *.tif

pause
    Thank you for the help!

PeterThomas6, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 1, 2019
  4. oily_17 Win User

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Batch change of file extensions - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Batch change file

2. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  3. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  4. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. rename multiple files in a batch script to a new extension keeping the old extension as...

rename multiple files in a batch script to a new extension keeping the old extension as...: I want to rename a file with a new extension but keep the exiting extension as part of the new file name. Example xxxxxx.xxx.xxx.f000 rename to xxxxxx.xxx.xxx.f000.123."ren * *.123" just replaces the .f000 with .123.I want to keep the .f000 as part of the new filename.The...
  6. How do I add extensions to a batch of files

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add extensions to a batch of files: Back when I used WordPerfect, which could ignore file extensions, I gave all my poems the extension .POM. Word can read these files, but only if I add the extension .DOC. I have more than a hundred .POM files--how do I batch-add the .DOC extension to make them all read...
  7. Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.867] is there a registry key to get rid of it now ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-files-extension-disabling-the-if-you/dc219745-91fb-4c6b-9821-76fa22cf20c9
  8. File Extension Changes

File Extension Changes: My wife tried to open an Excel file she attached to an email before she sent it to make sure it was the right one. That act then proceeded to try to open over 150 files. They were still scrolling across the top when the only thing I could figure out what to do was to sign...
  9. File extension changed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File extension changed: how can I recover my files that changed to .mado extension? is there any easy idea my all files are encrypted as .mado . How to decrypt ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/file-extension-changed/5eb5c4f3-acce-4907-9e10-857faaec0e1c
  10. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File: Hello, Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following: CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here REN *.jpg *.tif This changes every file that has a JPG extension to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 batch file file change

2. batch to change extension of a file

3. shellfscript convert batch files with no file extension