Windows 10: Batch file to move all the files to folders that start with the same name

Discus and support Batch file to move all the files to folders that start with the same name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a folder with pdf files like this TCH_123.pdf TCH_573.pdf EHUB_456.pdf EHUB_764.pdf and subfolders with names like TCH and EHUB I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Alpha Sigma Tau, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Batch file to move all the files to folders that start with the same name

I have a folder with pdf files like this

TCH_123.pdf

TCH_573.pdf

EHUB_456.pdf

EHUB_764.pdf

and subfolders with names like TCH and EHUB

I want to write a batch file to move all the files to the folder with the name that the files start with.

I am a total beginner to writing batch files so if you please can help with the batch file and some resources to learn about it.

Thanks

:)

Alpha Sigma Tau, Nov 6, 2020
  2. oily_17 Win User

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Nov 6, 2020
  3. Batch Files Knowledge Base

Very nice and usefull thanks for contributing.

AphexDreamer, Nov 6, 2020
  4. Batch file to move all the files to folders that start with the same name

Batch file

it has to open any .spl file present. each time the folder will be cleared when choosing the second option to clear. when another generation is done, another .spl file is created. i run the batch file to open it again when choosing option 1. ya the file name changes each time...

Sandeep Bhugoo, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

Batch file to move all the files to folders that start with the same name

1. Batch file to move all the files to folders that start with the same name - Similar Threads - Batch file move

2. Same file name on same folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Same file name on same folder: Hi . I have windows 10 And it hepend few times that i same file name and same file format qt the same folderThis time i didnt change the name of the exact filesI just download the files from email and download two times than put them on the same folder..and it let me...Ive...
  3. Same file name on same folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Same file name on same folder: Hi . I have windows 10 And it hepend few times that i same file name and same file format qt the same folderThis time i didnt change the name of the exact filesI just download the files from email and download two times than put them on the same folder..and it let me...Ive...
  4. Same file name on same folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 2 files in the same folders with the same name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 files in the same folders with the same name: How can this happen!? Files downloaded from bank statements using Firefox. This worries me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-files-in-the-same-folders-with-the-same-name/514f1b90-be4c-43b0-a293-79c42d40da27
  6. 2 files in the same folders with the same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 files in the same folders with the same name: How can this happen!? Files downloaded from bank statements using Firefox. This worries me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-files-in-the-same-folders-with-the-same-name/514f1b90-be4c-43b0-a293-79c42d40da27
  7. 2 files in the same folders with the same name

8. Batch kill all processes with the same name

in Windows 10 Support
    Batch kill all processes with the same name: I tried the apps on this site but it doesn't work as it says. For instance, I have 50 Chrome.exe processes. I don't want to tick them 1 by 1 to kill it. As long as it's named Chrome.exe, I want to kill them all. How can I do it in 1 swop? 6 Ways to Kill Multiple Windows...
  9. Move Files into Folder with Same Name in Bulk?!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move Files into Folder with Same Name in Bulk?!?: Ok, so I used a simple bat file to create folders based off files names. For example, in my Movies folder, I have Example.mp4 and an Example folder. Is there a way to use a different bat file to auto move example.mp4 into the Example folder? Also, not all my movies are mp4....
  10. Batch Folder and Batch File/Move Software

Batch Folder and Batch File/Move Software: Looking for recommendations for software that handles automatic batch folder creation according to defined rules. Also looking for software that handles automatic file and folder moving into more than one directory according to selection criteria (size, date, extension,...