Windows 10: Batch file - Unable to start a program minimized

Discus and support Batch file - Unable to start a program minimized in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and I can't. I've looked at tons of small tips online to get this working but it doesn't work at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GXP10, Jul 16, 2015.

1. GXP10 Win User

Batch file - Unable to start a program minimized

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and I can't. I've looked at tons of small tips online to get this working but it doesn't work at all. I have a batch file which causes various programs to start when opened. However, one of them always appears above the rest because it loads, some time after the others. I want it to start minimized so the other program will above above every time.

I have tried various ways including these;
    START /min steam.exe
    START /min "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe"

None of them work. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks *Smile

:)

GXP10, Jul 16, 2015
  2. dsykes14 Win User

Windows 10 Starts CMD.exe minimized

So we have a logon script that is a kixtart script executed by a batch file. This script operates normally under Windows 7, but will not show when using Windows 10. Upon further investigation, whenever starting a batch script, the script will always start
    minimized. What could be causing this behavior? There are no GPOs set to make these scripts minimized.

Thank you

dsykes14, Jul 16, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Starts CMD.exe minimized

woltersoesilo, Jul 16, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Try making a shortcut for steam.exe on the desktop then in the properties of that shortcut set the program to run minimized. Then in the batch file use the location
    C:\Users\Username\Desktop\shortcutname.exe.lnk

where username and shortcutname refer to your own user and programs name

Fafhrd, Jul 16, 2015
  5. GXP10 Win User
    The program opens but not in minimized, and yeah, I changed the drop down option to minimized beside the "Run:" option.
    Is there a argument I can add to the end of the Target line to force it that way?

GXP10, Jul 16, 2015
  6. Code: set s = createobject("WScript.Shell") s.run """C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe""", 2[/quote] Try creating a .vbs file with that and run it.

cyberrufus, Jul 16, 2015
  7. GXP10 Win User
    Try creating a .vbs file with that and run it.[/quote] Ok, that started the program maximized again... don't know what you want me to do with it.

GXP10, Jul 16, 2015
  8. Batch file - Unable to start a program minimized

If it doesn't work you can do with it what you wish. If a minimized shortcut or a standard .vbs command don't work you might be out of luck getting it to start minimized because both should work.

Edit: Perhaps your best bet would be to see if a command line argument to start Steam minimized exists.

cyberrufus, Jul 16, 2015
  9. NUS
    Nus Win User
    This.

Use the -silent switch to start Steam and you just get the tray icon showing.

Thema:

1. Batch file - Unable to start a program minimized - Similar Threads - Batch file Unable

2. Starting two programs from a single batch file is different than starting two programs in...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Starting two programs from a single batch file is different than starting two programs in...: First Concrete example: I run “Start Resident Evil 2” from a batch file I run “Start Resident Evil 2 Trainer” from another batch file Everything works! Okie dokie... So let’s simplify it a bit... I run “Start Resident Evil 2” and “Start Resident Evil 2 Trainer” from the...
  3. use Task Scheduler to start batch file, minimized?

in Windows 10 Support
    use Task Scheduler to start batch file, minimized?: I have already tried to find the solution using google, but literally none of them worked! At one point I edited the file/folder names, and changed the locations to those in the "solutions" but even that didn't work! You are my last hope! is there any way, any at all, you...
  4. Need to start a program minimized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to start a program minimized: Hi... I made a new string on the following registry key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run I got the program to start on windows startup. But I need it to open minimized. What do I need to do to make it open...
  5. How to start a program minimized

in Windows 10 Support
    How to start a program minimized: Hi... I made a new string on the following registry key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run I got the program to start on windows startup. But I need it to open minimized. What do I need to do to make it open...
  6. Batch File in start up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Batch File in start up: I have created a batch file for cleaning up all temporary and unnecessary file which can be run any time. I want to add this file with the startup of windows 10, so that when ever I start the windows, the file will automatically run and clean up my PC. In windows 7, you can...
  7. Start a program from a batch file

Start a program from a batch file: I'm trying to create a batch file that should - call another batch file - start a program and then wait for the program to close - call another batch file My goal with this is to work around an issue in Windows 10 where the screensaver won't work when I have my game...
  8. Start a program from a batch file

Start a program from a batch file: 4 Apps of mine run a batch file that -tries- to call/start and EXE program. These Batch files need to work with OS XP thru Win 10. Win 10 has a pop-up window asking user if its okay to run/execute my EXE. No other Win version does this and thus I suspect a timing problem....
  9. Batch file start program minimized

in Windows 10 Support
    Batch file start program minimized: Here's a little script to make a backup of 2 directories: Code: ::can't copy Opera data while Opera is running taskkill /im opera.exe robocopy c:\all e:\Bobback\All /mir robocopy c:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming e:\Bobback\Roaming /mir ::restart Opera minimized start...
  10. Start Batch File Minimized via Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Batch File Minimized via Task Scheduler: I have a batch file scheduled to run in Task Scheduler in Windows 10. The batch file runs on schedule, but it opens a full CMD window. I have tried entering variations on start /min in the Task Scheduler properties, but these seem to have no effect. The particular batch...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. starting a program with a bat file and minmizing the program

2. start program minimized with a batch file

3. batch file and set it to start minimized

4. unable to run programs in programfiles as batch,
  5. unable to start game in minimized state,
  6. set ms edge minimized in batch file