Windows 10: Batch shorten file names

Discus and support Batch shorten file names in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi everyone!I have a bunch of files for work, which all have a name like 'FunTimes-party2020', 'BossMan-party2020', 'GroupPhoto-party2020' just as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by WilliamEW, Jun 1, 2022.

1. WilliamEW Win User

Batch shorten file names

Hi everyone!I have a bunch of files for work, which all have a name like 'FunTimes-party2020', 'BossMan-party2020', 'GroupPhoto-party2020' just as a example.I need to shorten the names of the files in the example, remove the "party2020", but there are hundreds of files. Is there a way I can do this easily?Note: this is a government job, so I cannot use unapproved third party software, and I don't have admin privileges.If you can help, it would literally save me and some colleagues many, many hours of work.- William

:)

WilliamEW, Jun 1, 2022
  2. oily_17 Win User

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Jun 1, 2022
  3. fergiet Win User
    User name shortened - error ?

In C Drive under users my user name shows as "tomfe" instead of Tom or TomFerguson. Not a serious issue but one I want to correct as is just is not correct. Can't seem to find a way to change it.

Any suggestions welcome.

Batch shorten file names [​IMG]

fergiet, Jun 1, 2022
  4. Batch shorten file names

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Very nice and usefull thanks for contributing.

AphexDreamer, Jun 1, 2022
Thema:

Batch shorten file names

1. Batch shorten file names - Similar Threads - Batch shorten file

2. Batch shorten file names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Batch shorten file names: Hi everyone!I have a bunch of files for work, which all have a name like 'FunTimes-party2020', 'BossMan-party2020', 'GroupPhoto-party2020' just as a example.I need to shorten the names of the files in the example, remove the "party2020", but there are hundreds of files. Is...
  3. file explorer shortening file names after last "."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer shortening file names after last ".": We save files that frequently have multiple decimals in them ex. apple.1.2.3, and renaming the names is kinda out of the question. After we save the file, we typically use microsoft print to pdf, or adobe pdf to save a pdf of the view. The issue with this is that when it...
  4. file explorer shortening file names after last "."

file explorer shortening file names after last ".": We save files that frequently have multiple decimals in them ex. apple.1.2.3, and renaming the names is kinda out of the question. After we save the file, we typically use microsoft print to pdf, or adobe pdf to save a pdf of the view. The issue with this is that when it...
  5. Autorotate and shortened file names on Contact sheet printout.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Autorotate and shortened file names on Contact sheet printout.: I have asked this question in the Windows 7 section, but I have confirmed it also occurs on Windows 10 64 bitI am trying to print out "contact sheets" where you get 35 pictures per A4 sheet but it Windows Photo Viewer ? is now shortening the file names and auto-rotating the...
  6. Autorotate and shortened file names on Contact sheet printout.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Autorotate and shortened file names on Contact sheet printout.: I have asked this question in the Windows 7 section, but I have confirmed it also occurs on Windows 10 64 bitI am trying to print out "contact sheets" where you get 35 pictures per A4 sheet but it Windows Photo Viewer ? is now shortening the file names and auto-rotating the...
  7. Autorotate and shortened file names on Contact sheet printout.

8. File Explorer Displaying Shortened File Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer Displaying Shortened File Name: I am trying to open some .tif files through Windows File Explorer and when it opens the complete file name does not show up instead it is like a shortened version..I have tried going into the registry editor and change the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to 1 but it still isn't...
  9. shorten a file path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shorten a file path: i'm unable to save documents from external drive to my desktop because the file name is too long. so far the instructions on line to change or shorten the file path make no sense to me. is this something a typical user is able to do?...
  10. User name shortened - error ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User name shortened - error ?: In C Drive under users my user name shows as "tomfe" instead of Tom or TomFerguson. Not a serious issue but one I want to correct as is just is not correct. Can't seem to find a way to change it. Any suggestions welcome. [img] 18318