Windows 10: Batch "timeout" command not waiting as supposed to

Discus and support Batch "timeout" command not waiting as supposed to in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have the command TIMEOUT /T 8 coded into batch files that have worked for ages. Suddenly it's no longer waiting for the timeout, just immediately... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LordenFamily, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Batch "timeout" command not waiting as supposed to

I have the command TIMEOUT /T 8 coded into batch files that have worked for ages. Suddenly it's no longer waiting for the timeout, just immediately exits.If I run it manually from a cmd.exe window prompt, it works. In a batch file .. 99% of the time it fails. It will display the initial countdown time, but then exit. No waiting at all!e.g.TIMEOUT /T 8Waiting for 8 seconds, press a key to continue ...to only then move onto the next command when debugging, that was a "PAUSE" which did work - but not the thing I wanted to happen [a 'forever' timeout time!].My Windows11 is patched fully up t

:)

LordenFamily, Mar 23, 2023

2. Batch "timeout" command not orking

I tried it in the command prompt and inside a batch file. I have tried to use this command in many different batch scripts and still get the same error. I am not facing any issues with windows as far as I can tell.

Some other batch commands do not work either, such as ping or tree, but I can do almost everything else such as create files, insert items into files, display text, and change text color.

fishyydrib, Mar 23, 2023
  3. How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?

Without going into details, I need to run a batch script to copy all the files and folders from a failing ssd drive to another disk one file at a time.

I am using below batch script but windows recovery mode command prompt is not recognizing timout as a valid command. How can I induce a sleep wait between each operation.

for %%a in ("%source%\*") do (

xcopy "%%~fa" "%destination%" /y /w

echo "copied" %%~fa

timeout 2 > nul

)

Thank You

HalfErmine86729, Mar 23, 2023
  4. Batch "timeout" command not waiting as supposed to

Batch "timeout" command not orking

Are you going to help me or act like you are, and not. I answered your questions, now give me an answer!

fishyydrib, Mar 23, 2023
Thema:

Batch "timeout" command not waiting as supposed to

1. Batch "timeout" command not waiting as supposed to - Similar Threads - Batch timeout command

2. Batch file to change screen timeout?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Batch file to change screen timeout?: Would anyone know if it's possible to write a batch file that can modify the minutes before screens turn off? I can find one for Windows sleep, but not specifically only the screen timeout. submitted by /u/Logical-Midnight6699 [link] [comments]...
  3. Batch File Command???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Batch File Command???: I want to run a batch file that starts a backup program, but does not execute the next command until that program completes? How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-file-command/3af2ce6b-ace3-43cb-b6fb-5cbff8998736
  4. Batch File Command???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Batch File Command???: I want to run a batch file that starts a backup program, but does not execute the next command until that program completes? How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-file-command/3af2ce6b-ace3-43cb-b6fb-5cbff8998736
  5. Batch "timeout" command not waiting as supposed to

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Batch "timeout" command not waiting as supposed to: I have the command TIMEOUT /T 8 coded into batch files that have worked for ages. Suddenly it's no longer waiting for the timeout, just immediately exits.If I run it manually from a cmd.exe window prompt, it works. In a batch file .. 99% of the time it fails. It will display...
  6. How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?: Without going into details, I need to run a batch script to copy all the files and folders from a failing ssd drive to another disk one file at a time. I am using below batch script but windows recovery mode command prompt is not recognizing timout as a valid command. How can...
  7. How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?: Without going into details, I need to run a batch script to copy all the files and folders from a failing ssd drive to another disk one file at a time. I am using below batch script but windows recovery mode command prompt is not recognizing timout as a valid command. How can...
  8. How to add a timeout when running a batch script in windows recovery command prompt ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. timeout command does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    timeout command does not work: My timeout command does not work. I tried timeout /t {number} and even -t but it doesn't work.Is this a problem with the PATH oh what? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/timeout-command-does-not-work/6b3700f2-e917-4a6d-a98f-8da4f98f1d53
  10. Batch commands

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Batch commands: I know this stuff is kind of old tech, but would anyone know how to make a script that goes through the contents of a folder or file and uses them as command-line arguments say in pseudocode it might look something like: for each item in Desktop, copy %name% to D:\ a USB...