Windows 10: Battery at 255% though laptop won't run off the battery!

Discus and support Battery at 255% though laptop won't run off the battery! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. A few weeks ago I thought I had a battery/power cable issue as whenever the power cable was removed from my laptop it went off, completely. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by OdBen, Aug 22, 2020.

1. OdBen Win User

Battery at 255% though laptop won't run off the battery!

Hi.

A few weeks ago I thought I had a battery/power cable issue as whenever the power cable was removed from my laptop it went off, completely. I have since changed both the cable and battery but still have the same issue. This coincided with the May Windows update being installed on my laptop.

The battery icon in the system tray reads 255%. It sometimes has an x in it but that can be removed by deleting the battery drivers and restarting the laptop. Doing this though does not help with the over riding problem of the laptop not powering from the battery.

Thus issue coincided with the performance of my laptop dropping through the floor. It is an Asus RoG Strix gaming machine, but the processor does not now seem to be able to run to its full potential. I thought this might be another hardware issue but a local IT repair store advises me the hardware is fine.

Having looked into the issue online it seems to be a wider issue occurring on lots of different brand machines, there are numerous threads on here already.

I have even tried to flash the bios but it can't do this because of the the power issue - the battery is not being recognised.

What needs to be done to sort this once and for all as I'm not that tech savvy, but am in desperate need to get my expensive laptop functioning properly again.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

OdBen, Aug 22, 2020
  2. Ztruker Win User

Battery icon shows 255% even when battery not installed

HP dv-6c63NR Laptop. Recently (not sure when it started), the battery icon in the System Tray show 255% charge when the battery is installed or removed. I've rebooted multiple times and just finished a reset. Nothing changes, still shows 255% charge.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this?

It was okay a week or two ago.

This laptop is in the Insider Fast stream and currently has 1903 18362.1. I could install a non-insider build on my 2nd HDD (I have a 500GB SSD boot and a 500GB HDD 2nd drive) as a test.

Ztruker, Aug 22, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Battery icon shows 255% even when battery not installed

As 255% is FF (hex) - all 1's - suggests a certain kind of bug...

If you have a live boot disk, that should prove it's not hardware related.

You could also try a 3rd party battery monitoring program, but if that reads the same buggy info from the OS, might give garbage too.

Similar here, resolved:
    Battery shows 255% - how is that possible when 100 is the max?? | AVForums

dalchina, Aug 22, 2020
  4. Battery at 255% though laptop won't run off the battery!

Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Battery at 255% though laptop won't run off the battery! pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

Battery at 255% though laptop won't run off the battery!

1. Battery at 255% though laptop won't run off the battery! - Similar Threads - Battery 255% though

2. 255% battery percentage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    255% battery percentage: Hello, I have a problem with my Asus Zenbook 15" UX533F. Battery percentage is 255%. When i unplug ac adapter, laptop turns off. Battery is in fine condition, sometimes it works. I think that i need to reinstall drivers but i cant find them. Can someone help me with it?...
  3. battery percentage at 255%

battery percentage at 255%: Recently I uninstalled and then reinstalled the battery in my computer. I did this because the percentage charge was showing at 255%. Upon reinstallation the number has remained the same at 255% ever since. Is there a way of resetting the battery to set the maximum limit at...
  4. laptop battery showing 255% charged and not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    laptop battery showing 255% charged and not working: hi my laptops doesnt boot up if it is not plugged in for 7 months now it always says plugged in not charging today it says charging 255% availaible but if u clcik battery sign it says 100% available and u remove charger it turns o\ff...
  5. 255% battery

255% battery: My computer says it is at 255%while plugged in and it completely shuts off if I unplug it. How do I fix this? I barely got this computer last year?? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/255-battery/56bfb333-a7ea-4330-9bc1-f7ff8464dbc6
  6. Battery percentage 255%

Battery percentage 255%: Hello! I have problem with my battery It shows that the battery is plugged and that has 255%, even if it's not plugged Also, it has X on its icon It happened after I powered it on again after my Windows crashed for no reason...
  7. battery problem 255%

battery problem 255%: [ATTACH][ATTACH]it shows 255% remaining fully charge but when I plugged it out from the socket it is still full charge but unknown remaining shows on the icon. please I need help. I'm having problem with my asus flipbook TP300LD...
  8. 255% on battery?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    255% on battery?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/AahYush [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/exnqte/255_on_battery/
  9. battery says that 255% battery available (plugged in)

battery says that 255% battery available (plugged in): I have problem with Windows 10 I used Windows 10 PRO 1909 version in my laptop ASUS ROG GL753vd drivers are updated battery says that "255% battery avaiable (plugged in).WHAT IS THAT????When unplugged laptop is off suddenly.Windows 10 destroyed my laptop and its battery.I...
  10. 255% battery. Turns off as soon as it's unplugged.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    255% battery. Turns off as soon as it's unplugged.: So my battery says it is 255% not 100%. As soon as it's unplugged it turns off. Does anyone know what may be causing this ? I just did a factory reset and no dice. It has done this before and after updating as well. Thanks. submitted by /u/babygorilla90 [link]...