Windows 10: Battery Backup For Laptop When Power Outage?

Discus and support Battery Backup For Laptop When Power Outage? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all got a question. I have a dell xps 15 9550 laptop and i have it charged into outlet almost always. But if i disconnect it from outlet, i get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulyjustin, Oct 3, 2018.

1. paulyjustin Win User

Battery Backup For Laptop When Power Outage?

Hey all got a question. I have a dell xps 15 9550 laptop and i have it charged into outlet almost always. But if i disconnect it from outlet, i get around 2 hour battery life at the most it seem before i have to recharge it. The thing is when im doing certain things, i have to be connected for minimum 8 hours. Thus if i have a power outage and power doesn't come back, I lose money in what i do. I had this happen several times in the building where i rent from because power outages is very common.

Most of the time, the power outage isn't that long like 15 minutes. But few times its been hours and rare times its a day or so. But my main issue is when im on the computer and i can't have this happen.

I read online about ups etc. But im not sure exactly how that works. Does this mean if you have something like this and then your battery on laptop is running out of battery, you could connect your laptop to it and then charge your laptop like its an electric outlet? If so, could you basically use it like an outlet? Example say you charge it to your laptop at 10 percent battery. Say you have it charged to 100 percent and during this time, you used the laptop for another 45 minutes etc. Now you are suppose to unplug it right? Then now you get another 2 hours of it on battery? Then would there still be enough power in that device to plug it in again and charge it again? Thus it would be another 45 minutes and another 2 hours?

I read that these devices only give you like 25 minutes or a bit more than that. So basically you could never get that much power?

And can someone tell me what are examples of this on amazon?

I saw these power banks on amazon. So is this the type of device that i would need for this? Im not sure if its power bank or UPS etc.

Amazon.com: MAXOAK 50000mAh 5/12/20v Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank for Laptop Accessories

Amazon.com: AC Outlet Portable Laptop Charger (TSA-approved), Jackery PowerBar 77Wh/20800mAh 85W (100W Max.) Travel Laptop Power Bank Accessories

Amazon.com: Omars AC Power Bank, 24000mAh AC Outlet Laptop Portable Battery Pack Travel Charger Output Two USB Ports, 80w Output, 88Wh Universal Travel Charger Compatible MacBook, Laptops.: Cell Phones Accessories

I know that the bigger the mAh, the more it last. But how many hours would it last? Example say you have 2 hours of battery on laptop when power outage happens. Now you have one of these on hand. How many hours could you get additionally with one of these devices? Thus when you plug it to laptop and use it while its plugged in... then unplug it when battery is 100 percent... then use laptop while on battery for another 2 hours... is there still enough power to charge it again or is that already way too much?

:)

paulyjustin, Oct 3, 2018
  2. Bill_Bright Win User

Battery backup power supply

Sadly, you completely missed the point. Did you just stop reading my comment at that point? Did you totally ignore or didn't understand the big bold underscored "IF"?

I said,
    • "IF" the major appliances are not damaged and are working properly.
    • Power during "outages" is just a minor bonus feature.
    • And of course, rules and regulations mean nothing if not adhered to. Many companies are notorious for putting counterfeit UL and other safety labels on their products with the hopes they will get by customs. And many do.

• And of course, even the best quality products can be damaged during transport or mishandling.
    I agree. I would start researching the various battery supply sites. I NEVER buy from the UPS maker. They charge way too much. I buy my UPS batteries from Apex, BatteryWholesale, Battery Mart, or Batteryplex, depending on who has the best price at the time (factoring in shipping, which can be significant, but sometimes free).

Bill_Bright, Oct 3, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Power Outage / lost all files

The behavior you experienced is very possible. A PC is no more capable of withstanding a power outage than any other electrical appliance.

You should get an uninterruptible power supply - UPS. A UPS for a home PC is inexpensive, and it provides battery backup power for power outages like the one you experienced. A UPS also includes a surge protector, so it's like getting both for the price
    of one.

BulldogXX, Oct 3, 2018
  4. NTM2003 Win User

Battery backup power supply

Looking to get a battery backup power supply. I do have a Normal power supply but I’m thinking battery backup is good for high end rigs. I’m looking at APC or cyperpower both with 900watts battery backup

Here’s one I’m looking at now APC Smart-UPS 1500VA UPS Battery Backup with Pure Sine Wave Output (SMC1500) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZT2KKM/?tag=tec06d-20

2nd choice

CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/900W, 10 Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N19W/?tag=tec06d-20

NTM2003, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Battery Backup For Laptop When Power Outage? - Similar Threads - Battery Backup Laptop

2. power outage while updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    power outage while updating: while updating, (about 85% complete) there was a power outage and when rebooting i got the message "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop" is unavailable. I tried windows button with I but nothing happened, i bought the computer with the software already loaded and...
  3. Laptop Whizzing When Plugged In When (Battery) Power Mode is set to Best Performance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop Whizzing When Plugged In When (Battery) Power Mode is set to Best Performance: Hi, So with the last Windows 10 Update (Version 1803) (Probably with the last update) on my Asus ROG G752VT laptop ( bought roughly a year ago ) the following occurs*: *( For all of the following, my Maximum Processor State is set to 99%, Because else the CPU Reaches 90+...
  4. Power and battery

in Windows 10 Support
    Power and battery: I just had a black screen; all I could see was the mouse arrow. I researched on my other laptop and discovered it's a common problem with Win10. I tried a few recommended things but nothing happened: black screen and mouse. For some reason I got it into my head to remove the...
  5. Power outage while PC in sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power outage while PC in sleep: My PC suffered a power Outage while it was in sleep mode. When power came back, I started it up and it was running very slow, could not even get Task Master to work. Re Boot and screen message said a disk cleanup was necessary. When that did not work, went to USB startup disk...
  6. BSOD when laptop runs on battery

BSOD when laptop runs on battery: Hey guys, I hope someone can help with this. I upgraded my Alienware laptop to windows 10 several months ago but only recently did I try running it on battery power and found out that it repeatably/seemingly randomly crashes. So far this ONLY seems to happen when running on...
  7. Power Outage, Now Blue Screens!

Power Outage, Now Blue Screens!: I had a power outage a few days ago, and now my Windows 10 Pro has random Blue Screen problems. My system was running fine before, did the Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro no problem. I'm pretty sure the outage stopped my machine and potentially corrupted files....
  8. Battery backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery backup: Hi all just to ask i need to buy a new battery back up buy dont know what wattage to get it will be just for the pc The pc has a 850 watt ps and a gtx 1080 gaphics card and a I7 ,ASUS Z270 MB. Would a 600 watt be good ? I just need time to do a shutdown about 5-10mins in...
  9. Data gain after power outage?

in Windows 10 Support
    Data gain after power outage?: Just lol. Power went out and came back after 5 mins. and at boot Windows wanted to scan & repair C:, I let it (was fast due to SSD). After that, in the desktop I saw a intact personal text file from 2017 October. Just how? edit: now I'm thinking maybe that file was...
  10. Strange desktop after power outage.

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange desktop after power outage.: Hi there! We had a power outage here about an hour ago while I was just browsing the Internet. Subsequently, my computer shut down. However, when I rebooted the desktop seems to have changed. I really have no idea how to explain it, so I posted a link at the bottom of a...