Windows 10: battery/brick troubleshooting

Discus and support battery/brick troubleshooting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; System Manufacturer/Model Number:dell inspiron 17 5770 OS:windows 10 pro x64 2004 version 10.0.19041 build 19041 Before going into the details, please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by caffeine, Oct 13, 2020.

1. caffeine Win User

battery/brick troubleshooting

System Manufacturer/Model Number:dell inspiron 17 5770
    OS:windows 10 pro x64 2004 version 10.0.19041 build 19041

Before going into the details, please note:
    I cannot perform all the troubleshooting because of some physical limitations. I am color blind and cannot determine LED colors. An injury has left me virtually one handed and unable to perform remove/replace battery functions.

the problem:
    The computer will no longer charge properly. I cannot boot or use the computer without the brick plugged in. Hovering over the battery icon (on the task tray) indicates battery 98% charged. However, unplugging the brick generates a low battery warning and subsequent shut down in less than one minute.

what I have done:
    • I have unplugged/plugged in all the brick connections.
    • I have calibrated the battery using the drain and recharge process.
    • Dell's EPSA Preboot System Assessment yields error# 93734 (battery problem)
    • I have changed power plans.
    • I have uninstalled/reboot both battery drivers shown in Device Manager.

The next step appears to be to remove/install the existing battery. Then let the success/failure dictate replacement decisions regarding the battery and/or brick.

I have no desire to throw parts at the computer in attempt to solve the problem. That is not a wise solution. I have a (non-techie) friend whom I can guide through a mechanical repair if necessary. That is better than paying a shop to do what I know how to do, but am physically unable to perform.

...SO... My question is: Are there any other troubleshooting techniques I can employ before proceeding?

Thanks in advance for you replies.

regards,

:)

caffeine, Oct 13, 2020

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Oct 13, 2020
  3. Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

battery/brick troubleshooting pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Oct 13, 2020
  4. battery/brick troubleshooting

Battery

Hi,

For us to better assist you with your battery issue, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any changes to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Power troubleshooter and update drivers in Windows 10 by following the troubleshooting steps provided by Eeshwar Kumar on this
    thread.

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

battery/brick troubleshooting

1. battery/brick troubleshooting - Similar Threads - battery brick troubleshooting

2. Computer bricked

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer bricked: After updating WITHOUT MY PERMISSION my computer is now bricked. THANK YOU! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-bricked/6d9e3439-d91f-4df2-90d9-684539e3b546
  3. Computer bricked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer bricked: After updating WITHOUT MY PERMISSION my computer is now bricked. THANK YOU! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-bricked/6d9e3439-d91f-4df2-90d9-684539e3b546
  4. Dead Battery and Troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dead Battery and Troubleshooter: Apparently, my laptop has a dead battery. What I mean by that is that it'd shut down if I stopped charging it even for just a second. That's terrible I know. Any ideas?What is even more disgusting is the fact that the troubleshooter shows:...
  5. Dead Battery and Troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dead Battery and Troubleshooter: Apparently, my laptop has a dead battery. What I mean by that is that it'd shut down if I stopped charging it even for just a second. That's terrible I know. Any ideas?What is even more disgusting is the fact that the troubleshooter shows:...
  6. Dead Battery and Troubleshooter

7. Update of a Brick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update of a Brick: Old timer here- HELP? The brick is a fanlees ACEPC with limited EMMC (slow) memory -Not enough room to update from Windows Version 1909 . I have an SSD installed . 1) Can I move ,copy, or install latest home version on the SSD & trigger machine to start from there? 2) Will...
  8. So my computer's battery is bricked.

So my computer's battery is bricked.: At least, my computer says I need to replace it. Which sucks. But until I get a new one, will it continue to run if it's plugged in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-my-computers-battery-is-bricked/999e7b55-87ea-486f-93f9-3ebdb2863919
  9. USB bricked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB bricked: Hello, do you have any recommended actions for a Kingston USB drive that the only thing that it does is say "you have to format the drive" but nothing works? Any program? Thanks! 117249
  10. Bricked SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bricked SSD?: Hello, I was having a problem where Windows 10 would not boot unless I had the USB boot stick in the computer (I could then take it out and windows would run fine). So, I attempted to do a re-install but this time using UEFI so I went into my motherboard and set it up and...