Windows 10: Battery cannot charge more than 74%

Discus and support Battery cannot charge more than 74% in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Good day team. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T450 Model. I just updated it from version 1903 to version 1909 yesterday. Before this update, it charges to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sylvester Asuenimen, May 2, 2020.

1. Battery cannot charge more than 74%

Good day team. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T450 Model.

I just updated it from version 1903 to version 1909 yesterday. Before this update, it charges to 100% i.e both the internal battery and the external battery.

After the update yesterday, it can no longer charge up to 100%.

Please l need help.

The system is windows 10 pro., 16GB of Ram, and

256GB SSD

:)

Sylvester Asuenimen, May 2, 2020

2. Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Battery cannot charge more than 74% pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, May 2, 2020
  3. Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Battery cannot charge more than 74% pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, May 2, 2020
  4. baskhara Win User

Battery cannot charge more than 74%

Acer battery won't charge

What if the battery unremoveable? Should I disassemble and remove it? also there is a switch underneath the case and around the RAM slot that prevent the laptop to turn on when the case is open and without the charger. Is that the same as removing the battery? although when turned on with charger, the laptop still see the battery. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I took the report, the design capacity was 41.440 mWh but full charge capacity is now 25.752 mWh. Is it that bad? Before this happened I believe HWMonitor also show the same number with 38% Wear Level.
    Here's the report file

baskhara, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Battery cannot charge more than 74%

1. Battery cannot charge more than 74% - Similar Threads - Battery cannot charge

2. Battery Full Charge Capacity reporting error - More than double Design capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery Full Charge Capacity reporting error - More than double Design capacity: I dont use my new 3 months old Thinkpad often but it is now reporting the Full Charge Capacity as being more than double the Design Capacity which is surely as error. Full Charge is 121.21Wh while Design Capacity is 50.5Wh. Sorry just cant seem to upload the pic. I would like...
  3. Battery Full Charge Capacity reporting error - More than double Design capacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery Full Charge Capacity reporting error - More than double Design capacity: I dont use my new 3 months old Thinkpad often but it is now reporting the Full Charge Capacity as being more than double the Design Capacity which is surely as error. Full Charge is 121.21Wh while Design Capacity is 50.5Wh. Sorry just cant seem to upload the pic. I would like...
  4. Getting Help For Being Charged More Than Once

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting Help For Being Charged More Than Once: I purchased an app on the Microsoft store and was billed more than once for it. How can I contact support and speak to a real person about my issue. The automated reply tells me to go the the website and the website is not helpful. How can I find help ?...
  5. Getting Help For Being Charged More Than Once

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Getting Help For Being Charged More Than Once: I purchased an app on the Microsoft store and was billed more than once for it. How can I contact support and speak to a real person about my issue. The automated reply tells me to go the the website and the website is not helpful. How can I find help ?...
  6. Battery won't charge more than 80% in windows 11??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery won't charge more than 80% in windows 11??: OS: Windows 11PC model: HP Zbook 17 G6For some reason, my battery won't charge up to higher than 80% in windows 11 I recently upgraded. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-wont-charge-more-than-80-in-windows-11/90b7444e-a80d-468c-aeb2-b74ba631851e
  7. Battery won't charge more than 80% in windows 11??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery won't charge more than 80% in windows 11??: OS: Windows 11PC model: HP Zbook 17 G6For some reason, my battery won't charge up to higher than 80% in windows 11 I recently upgraded. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-wont-charge-more-than-80-in-windows-11/90b7444e-a80d-468c-aeb2-b74ba631851e
  8. Battery not charging more than 60%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery not charging more than 60%: Battery is not charging more than 60%. It's a brand new ASUS Rog. I already tried. 1. Rebooting 2. Factory reset 3. Reinstalling drivers It's a new laptop. So I don't think any issue with battery or charger. Something to do with windows settings....
  9. Can't get new battery for my Lenovo laptop to charge more than 80%.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't get new battery for my Lenovo laptop to charge more than 80%.: Does the battery charging application need to be recalibrated? Battery was removed and the voltage checked to be 12 volts DC. Apparently it is being fully charged but the display is only showing 80% charge. Microsoft calibration procedures don't seem to work. Suggestions?...
  10. Laptop battery not charging more than 60%

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop battery not charging more than 60%: Laptop Asus X507 UA; all updates to OS are allowed automatically. I rightly or wrongly opted for 'best battery life' in the battery settings. It charges battery to 60%. There are a lot of power cuts where I live and I cannot work for longer period as I have to conserve...