Windows 10: Battery going down when plugged in

Discus and support Battery going down when plugged in in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; my PC was at 87% battery percentage and now it's on 86% battery percentage, it went down by 1%, it's plugged in and charging. I think it's because i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CoolWindows10User, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Battery going down when plugged in

my PC was at 87% battery percentage and now it's on 86% battery percentage, it went down by 1%, it's plugged in and charging. I think it's because i was on hibernate AFK mode. Should i keep my pc plugged in when i'm AFK without using hibernate mode?

:)

CoolWindows10User, Nov 6, 2020

2. Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Battery going down when plugged in pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Nov 6, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    battery plugged in not charging

To resolve this issue, please follow these steps:

• Unplug Laptop
    • Remove the Battery
    • Plug in Laptop and turn on the laptop
    • Go to Control Panel - Devices and uninstall all instances of Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery
    • Shut down Laptop and unplug it
    • Insert Battery and plug in the laptop
    • Start the Laptop
    Hopefully this will work for you, please let us know!

DaveM121, Nov 6, 2020
  4. gordon99 Win User

Battery going down when plugged in

Battery plugged in but not charging.

Thanks erpster4,
    Yes, I have read most, if not all, of the old threads. There seem to be a dozen or more possible solutions but none that is guaranteed to work under all circumstances. At the moment my battery is showing 100% charge at the battery icon. When I go into F2, the battery information shows AC Adapter Unknown (a Dell Adapter) and battery health normal on 99% Charge.
    When I go into F12, Diagnostics, it shows AC Adapter as 1 Watt (the actual adapter is 130 Watt).
    As I have been running the laptop with the adapter plugged in for a number of days now I have just unplugged it and will see what happens when I plug back in with the battery having partly discharged. The one suggested solution I have not attempted is to update the BIOS as doing this can, I read, cause more problems than it solves. By the way, all the Dell diagnostic tests I run show everything in the best of health. Clearly the diagnostic tests themselves need a diagnostic test.

gordon99, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

Battery going down when plugged in

1. Battery going down when plugged in - Similar Threads - Battery going down

2. Shuts down when not plugged in, but runs fine when connected to the charge It's not the battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shuts down when not plugged in, but runs fine when connected to the charge It's not the battery: I'm experiencing a very annoying issue with my laptop. Lately, it frequently shuts down when not plugged in, but runs fine when connected to the charger. I've looked into possible causes like the battery, battery settings, and the adapter, but they seem to be fine. I recall...
  3. Shuts down when not plugged in, but runs fine when connected to the charge It's not the battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shuts down when not plugged in, but runs fine when connected to the charge It's not the battery: I'm experiencing a very annoying issue with my laptop. Lately, it frequently shuts down when not plugged in, but runs fine when connected to the charger. I've looked into possible causes like the battery, battery settings, and the adapter, but they seem to be fine. I recall...
  4. Shuts down when not plugged in, but runs fine when connected to the charge It's not the battery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop crashed when plugged in on power with no battery plugged in

Laptop crashed when plugged in on power with no battery plugged in: Hie . My laptop carshes every 5-10min when ever i am working on it. First is checked with The power is plugged in and the battery also it crashed. Then i removed the battery and connected directly to power plugged in it crashes again. Can anyone help me figure out what is the...
  6. Laptop crashed when plugged in on power with no battery plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop crashed when plugged in on power with no battery plugged in: Hie . My laptop carshes every 5-10min when ever i am working on it. First is checked with The power is plugged in and the battery also it crashed. Then i removed the battery and connected directly to power plugged in it crashes again. Can anyone help me figure out what is the...
  7. Laptop crashed when plugged in on power with no battery plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Gamma change going from plugged to battery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Gamma change going from plugged to battery: Hi guys! First time posting here. As the title suggests, my laptop screen's gamma would change when I go from plugged in to battery - specifically the colors all seem brighter on battery. I can't seem to find any color profile associated with on battery or plugged in. My...
  9. Battery will not charge when plugged in

Battery will not charge when plugged in: My Lenovo ideapad 120S will not charge when plugged in. It is a brand new computer and I think it may be stuck in shipping mode. I have unplugged it held the power button 90 seconds and still will not work. I have also pressed the reset button and that didn't fix it. Does...
  10. Battery draining when plugged in

Battery draining when plugged in: I have an Alienware R4 17 Laptop. I've been trying to play games on it, but after a few hours, the laptop decides to start draining and charging the battery by small amounts. The laptop then decides to drop my game performance to unplayable levels. My understanding is that...