Windows 10: Battery icon problems on tablet

Discus and support Battery icon problems on tablet in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a small Windows tablet which I upgraded to Creators Update by doing a fresh install. I had copies of drivers and reinstalled all of them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by markweatherill, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Battery icon problems on tablet

Hi,

I have a small Windows tablet which I upgraded to Creators Update by doing a fresh install. I had copies of drivers and reinstalled all of them. The only issue is the battery icon.

It shows up in the taskbar, but appears 'empty'. Tap / click on it and the text says '100%' all the time. It doesn't change if plugged in or not. The screen brightness part does work, as does 'battery saver'. It seems it just isn't getting the battery level data.

I already tried disabling and enabling both AC adapter items in Device Manager with no effect. Apart from the icon vanishing and reappearing after a reboot.

There are a couple of Power management items relating to the Intel chipset, also no effect when uninstalled and reinstalled.

I tried enabling the 'old' battery flyout and it shows 'unknown remaining'.

All suggestions are welcome!

:)

markweatherill, Apr 25, 2017
  2. lacrumb Win User

System icons on taskbar

Is this a PC or a laptop?

If not laptop or tablet no Battery, no icon.

lacrumb, Apr 25, 2017
  3. tablet, my battery is draining rapidly.

Original title: tablet, battery

Hi,

I was able to click on the tablet icon and go to my apps. I can't do that now. Also. suddenly, my battery is draining rapidly.

Cathy

cathyhardy, Apr 25, 2017
  4. Battery icon problems on tablet

Hi markweatherill.

I checked two of my laptops, don't have a Windows tablet, and in Device Manager on both there is a major heading for "Batteries". Under the heading there is an device call AC Adaptor but there is also a device called Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery.

From reading your description you don't have one of these but you do have two AC Adapters which you disabled and enabled.

Has Windows picked the wrong driver for your Battery and simply loaded the AC adapter in its place? Might check with vendor site to see if they have driver in some utility or misc pack. Might even be worth resetting BIOS but you would have to document current settings before doing so. Changing the BIOS presents a little more risk.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 25, 2017
  5. Hi,

apologies for my poor description. Under 'Batteries' in Device Manager, I indeed have 'Microsoft AC Adapter' and ' Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery'.

It was working fine before updating!

markweatherill, Apr 26, 2017
  6. I don't have an answer for you, but I have a similar issue. After the CU my battery icon on my laptop sometimes shows empty with a red X, but if I hover over it, it shows 100%. Must be a bug in the CU, as I didn't have it happen on the AU.

Bobby Phoenix, Apr 26, 2017
  7. Sounds similar to mine. What chipset is your laptop?

markweatherill, Apr 26, 2017
  8. Battery icon problems on tablet

7th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-7200U processor

Bobby Phoenix, Apr 27, 2017
  9. Update: I fixed the issue, more by luck than judgement.

My tablet has four items in Device Manager called System I2C or something similar. I updated the drivers for each one to an alternative driver, which had the effect of disabling the touchscreen and sound. Wrong driver!
    I plugged in a mouse and keyboard and changed the drivers back to the plain-looking I2C driver.
    Next, I noticed an unknown device had now appeared, and when I updated its driver by pointing it at my saved driver collection, it updated itself to 'Intel Battery Management Device'..... and the battery icon returned.

Time for a complete system backup of this tablet.

markweatherill, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Battery icon problems on tablet

1. Battery icon problems on tablet - Similar Threads - Battery icon problems

2. Battery icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery icon: Hi,Battery icon is not in Device Manager anymore.How can I "reinstall" battery icon in task bar with no battery in DMgr?ThanksMichel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-icon/f0e1ca4b-f26e-4e0c-aa21-cf070b522a29
  3. tablet battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    tablet battery: I have a tablet after connecting the charger appears on the screen that the current is connected but the future battery current is connected and not charged are there devices where the charging process is not completed and the device is open i.e. the device must be in the...
  4. Battery Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery Icon: For some reason the battery icon/charging icon that is normally in the right side of the task bar does not show anymore, so in order to see my charge I have to go into settings! does anybody know how to get it showing again?...
  5. Battery icon problem

Battery icon problem: hello. I have a "Lenovo Thinkpad E570" laptop. When I remove its battery and plug in AC adapter, battery icon indicates 255% available. It used to indicate "no battery detected" when I used my laptop without battery. I don't know exactly when it happened, but I guess it has...
  6. battery icon

battery icon: Overnite my battery icon has disappeared from my desktop computer and my desktop computer won't go to sleep. How can I find it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-icon/3f854f5a-579f-4797-b763-3ee9cfadfe31
  7. battery icon

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    battery icon: battery icon shows 80% plugged in but not charging https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-icon/1e0fb306-bbfc-4396-9829-b424d136b25d
  8. battery icon

battery icon: The battery icon in the customization in settings is grayed out. It will not turn on. How do I get it back on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/battery-icon/5cfb6f74-7a6d-4f8a-9787-4e07bd181093
  9. new battery for tablet

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    new battery for tablet: hi, can any one suggest where i might find a 5.7v 5000mAh battery for bush eluma 10" tablet, searched internet but could not find the right one, thanks in advance. 72786
  10. Tablet battery drain

Tablet battery drain: I have Dell tablet, and with Windows 8 the battery was fine, after upgrading and doing a clean install of Windows 10,the battery drain has been terrible. I left my tablet docked to its keyboard (which also supplies extra battery to my tablet) overnight with WiFi off and...