Windows 10: Battery Life Ruined By Windows Update

Discus and support Battery Life Ruined By Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have used my laptop for a couple of months at its point with no problem. The battery life was 8 hours, and it kept cool, with the CPU and GPU at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TiredPerson, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Battery Life Ruined By Windows Update

So I have used my laptop for a couple of months at its point with no problem. The battery life was 8 hours, and it kept cool, with the CPU and GPU at around 40C under regular workload. However, recently, my battery life went down to 1.5 hours, and my CPU started to heat up to 50C. I didn't install anything, and the task manager shows that my CPU is under a 5% load as usual. It must be caused by the new windows update, that I installed two days ago, on 14.08. The update is a cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 x64 KB5005033. It basically ruined my laptop. I tried updating the latest

:)

TiredPerson, Aug 16, 2021

2. The battery life

Hi boerab61,

Battery life varies from phone model to phone model, even when they're from the same OEM. For instance, the HTC Titan II has a different battery life than a HTC HD7. However, your particular battery life can be varied depending on several factors:

• Strength of your phone carrier signal. If you're in areas of low or terrible coverage, then your phone will consume more energy trying to maintain a connection with a cell tower.
    • High usage of GPS can also drain the battery quickly because the GPS sensor consumes a lot of energy. By the way, if you are using GPS a lot, you can actually improve battery life by leaving WiFi on, as Windows Phone can quickly pull geolocation info from
      WiFi routers, even if you're not connected to them.
    With that in mind, here's some suggestions to try to extend the life of your battery.

Reduce the load on your battery:

• Decrease screen brightness.

• Set Timeout duration on Backlight.

• Set Auto-Off Timeout duration for 1 minute or less (device turns off).
    • Throttle down your CPU speed.

• Remove external devices (SD Cards, etc)
    Turn off appropriate radios on your device:

• Turn off Bluetooth transceiver when not in use.

• Turn off WiFi transceiver when not in use (except when using GPS).

• Turn off GPS receiver when not in use.

• Turn off Cell transceiver when not in use.
    Change the way you do things with your device:

• Minimize media playback use.
    • Minimize use of e-mail and browsing.

• Once in a while (every few weeks), drain battery until dead, then recharge 100%
    • Keep a spare charger in your car and/or office.

Again, these are the ways you can consume battery life and yes, some are extreme but if you're serious about conserving your phone's battery, these are some great suggestions.

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Aug 16, 2021
  3. The battery life

Hi boerab61,

Battery life varies from phone model to phone model, even when they're from the same OEM. For instance, the HTC Titan II has a different battery life than a HTC HD7. However, your particular battery life can be varied depending on several factors:

• Strength of your phone carrier signal. If you're in areas of low or terrible coverage, then your phone will consume more energy trying to maintain a connection with a cell tower.
    • High usage of GPS can also drain the battery quickly because the GPS sensor consumes a lot of energy. By the way, if you are using GPS a lot, you can actually improve battery life by leaving WiFi on, as Windows Phone can quickly pull geolocation info from
      WiFi routers, even if you're not connected to them.
    With that in mind, here's some suggestions to try to extend the life of your battery.

Reduce the load on your battery:

• Decrease screen brightness.

• Set Timeout duration on Backlight.

• Set Auto-Off Timeout duration for 1 minute or less (device turns off).
    • Throttle down your CPU speed.

• Remove external devices (SD Cards, etc)
    Turn off appropriate radios on your device:

• Turn off Bluetooth transceiver when not in use.

• Turn off WiFi transceiver when not in use (except when using GPS).

• Turn off GPS receiver when not in use.

• Turn off Cell transceiver when not in use.
    Change the way you do things with your device:

• Minimize media playback use.
    • Minimize use of e-mail and browsing.

• Once in a while (every few weeks), drain battery until dead, then recharge 100%
    • Keep a spare charger in your car and/or office.

Again, these are the ways you can consume battery life and yes, some are extreme but if you're serious about conserving your phone's battery, these are some great suggestions.

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Aug 16, 2021
  4. btarunr Win User

Battery Life Ruined By Windows Update

Futuremark Releases Powermark Battery Life Test for Windows 7 Devices

Futuremark, the world leader in performance benchmarking software and services, today expanded its product line with Powermark a new battery life and power consumption test for Windows 7 notebooks, laptops, tablets and other battery powered devices. Powermark is a professional grade benchmark designed for industrial testing of battery powered Windows 7 devices by OEMs, corporations and governments. It includes a convenient set of standard tests based on productivity and entertainment use-case scenarios, as well as allowing custom settings for bespoke testing requirements. Powermark Professional Edition commercial licenses start at $200 for 10 activations. For further details and to purchase Powermark please visit this page.

Jukka Mäkinen, CEO of Futuremark said, "Battery life is critical to delivering a positive user experience. Powermark helps PC industry OEMs and their suppliers strike a balance between performance and power consumption by providing a consistent, accurate and reliable testing and measurement tool created with Futuremark’s deep experience in quality benchmarking software."

Powermark - battery life test for Windows 7 devices from Futuremark:
    • Accurately measure the battery life of Windows 7 devices.
    • Choose convenient scenario tests or create your own custom settings.
    • Designed for professional test lab environments.
    • Licensed for commercial use.
    Powermark is only available for business customers at this time.

btarunr, Aug 16, 2021
Thema:

Battery Life Ruined By Windows Update

1. Battery Life Ruined By Windows Update - Similar Threads - Battery Life Ruined

2. WINDOWS 11 IS RUINING MY LIFE!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS 11 IS RUINING MY LIFE!!!: IT DROPS CONNECTIONS TO DEVICES AND THERE IS ALWAYS A DELAY OF SOME KIND. AFTER 30-40 MINUTES OF TROUBLESHOOTING, YOU HAVE TO RESTART THE WHOLE DAMN THING IN ORDER TO GET ANYTHING AUDIO TO WORK. IF YOUR SCREEN GOES TO SLEEP OR IT'S THE NEXT DAY, YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER...
  3. WINDOWS 11 IS RUINING MY LIFE!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS 11 IS RUINING MY LIFE!!!: IT DROPS CONNECTIONS TO DEVICES AND THERE IS ALWAYS A DELAY OF SOME KIND. AFTER 30-40 MINUTES OF TROUBLESHOOTING, YOU HAVE TO RESTART THE WHOLE DAMN THING IN ORDER TO GET ANYTHING AUDIO TO WORK. IF YOUR SCREEN GOES TO SLEEP OR IT'S THE NEXT DAY, YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER...
  4. Laptops Battery Life Ruined By New Windows Update KB5005033

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptops Battery Life Ruined By New Windows Update KB5005033: After a new Windows update that I installed two days ago, on 14.08, my laptop's battery life went down from 8 hours to 1.5 hours, and the CPU started to heat up. The update is the cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 x64 KB5005033. It basically ruined my laptop. My...
  5. Life of battery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Life of battery: My battery doesn't charge more than 52% though it is not old. What shall I do? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/life-of-battery/5e12fd9f-5d27-4239-8109-8a127234ad1f
  6. battery life

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    battery life: How to get more battery life when not on the charger? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-life/f3b2c933-8858-437c-a547-63b7a31e7ed9
  7. battery life

battery life: what is the approx. life of the battery in my HP ENVY x360 touchsmart laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-life/782d5872-5675-4c2f-8ea6-ebed16048580
  8. Windows 10 update ruined my life -

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 update ruined my life -: After recent Windows 10 update I cannot restore my monitor (Dell U2711) native resolution 2560x1140 that I enjoyed for the last 4 or 5 years. Why it happened? What Microsoft did with my computer? I have the same setup that stopped to support native resolution. The video...
  9. Battery life

Battery life: kindly i need your support after i upgraded my windows to windows 10 the battery get drained while the pc is off and i don't know what to do for that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-life/07efec83-d943-4a1c-8b58-842af7ce93ba
  10. Why are windows' updates ruined my battery life? how can I fix my battery!

Why are windows' updates ruined my battery life? how can I fix my battery!: when battery is at 20%, the saver mode , computer shut down immediately! I checked it this time when I plugged in the charger, it was 1% then it hit 20% … 40% on 5 minutes??? I don't understand what is this issue? how can I fix it! really, I don't like these updates,...