Windows 10: battery losing charge quickly

Discus and support battery losing charge quickly in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; battery loses charge quickly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-losing-charge-quickly/d2a86c1c-83fd-44fc-95e9-114216992840 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by STEPHENREID3, Aug 21, 2019.

1. battery losing charge quickly

battery loses charge quickly

:)

STEPHENREID3, Aug 21, 2019

2. laptop battery wont charge after latest update

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s okay if you only have 1).

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

FreeBooter, Aug 21, 2019
  3. gordon99 Win User
    Battery plugged in but not charging.

Hello Bree & Callender, This morning I fiddled around trying to get the charger to work in the boot process by pressing F2 and the waiting for 10 minutes or so before continuing to log on. The amount of battery charge was still 5% which it was prior to all that. I did this because it was a suggestion from Dell as a possible solution. I then considered updating the BIOS as this is another Dell suggestion to overcome the battery not charging problem.

I then had another look at the adapter to confirm its output which is 130 Watts. Anyway, after an hour or so seemingly getting nowhere I noticed that the battery signal to the left ot the keyboard had lit up. I immediiatly checked the battery icon on the screen and found it was now showing that it was charging and 1 hour 31 minutes to full charge. I decided to leave everything as it was for a couple of hours after which time it was showing 100% charge on the battery.

Later on however I noticed that, although still showing 100% charge, the battery “connected but not charging” message was back. Needless to say I am even more flummoxed. I read all the links you posted Bree and found them very interesting. Nevertheless I am now wondering why the chargeing process had burst into and then died again. Someone, somewhere knows what’s happening I am sure.

gordon99, Aug 21, 2019
  4. Barman58 Win User

battery losing charge quickly

Battery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did

The Sm@rtA$$ suggestion would be to replace the battery *Wink and to be totally honest that is the only surefire solution, Batteries have a usage life as well as a shelf life (which can mean that if a battery is stocked for a long time before first use you could already be part way down the road to failure.

There are methods to condition some older types of battery (NiCad), which tends to build up a charge memory if the users charges the battery too much - Ni-Cad batteries should be allowed to run down to almost no charge regularly to prevent this and following a similar but exaggerated system can work to reverse the issue -

Ni-Cad Conditioning

• Fully charge the battery
    • Leave the device running at a high load, [Playing Video / music / encoding a video, (that you can afford to lose], after you switch off all battery saving options so that you can actually get to a situation that the battery gets so low that the device shuts down - leave for half an hour and try again as sometime the battery can "regain" access to more power reserve
    • Fully Charge the battery
    • Repeat This several times and also perform this action Once at least once a month

NImH batteries are supposedly immune to these issues but it can sometimes happen and the above routine may help but is just as likely to not do anything

The basic issue here is that a battery is a chemical reaction based device and the chemical reaction is reversible, (charging) only a set number of times ( you will often see very small print on rechargeable batteries stating an approximate number of charge cycles possible), the problem is that switching the device on when plugged into the mains supply is treated by the battery as a charge cycle. Some laptops will allow you to remove the battery and use it as a normal mains device - some will not - if you have to have the battery in place to use the laptop then don't plug it in if you can as this will actually improve overall battery life, both per charge and over the full life of the battery

Barman58, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

battery losing charge quickly

1. battery losing charge quickly - Similar Threads - battery losing charge

2. window 11 updated and then battery draining very quickly and charging quickly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    window 11 updated and then battery draining very quickly and charging quickly: when i updated my window 11 version and restart it then my laptop battery drains very quickly and charging also very quickly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-11-updated-and-then-battery-draining-very/54fba5f5-8fc0-4cf1-a549-c8fda0724b04
  3. window 11 updated and then battery draining very quickly and charging quickly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    window 11 updated and then battery draining very quickly and charging quickly: when i updated my window 11 version and restart it then my laptop battery drains very quickly and charging also very quickly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-11-updated-and-then-battery-draining-very/54fba5f5-8fc0-4cf1-a549-c8fda0724b04
  4. The battery consumes electricity quickly and charges slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The battery consumes electricity quickly and charges slowly: As shown in the picture, my computer quickly loses power, but according to the battery report, my battery health is not low. May I ask how to solve it? Thank you...
  5. The battery consumes electricity quickly and charges slowly

The battery consumes electricity quickly and charges slowly: As shown in the picture, my computer quickly loses power, but according to the battery report, my battery health is not low. May I ask how to solve it? Thank you...
  6. Laptop battery takes forever to charge but drains quickly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop battery takes forever to charge but drains quickly: Hi, I just want to know why my laptop takes forever to charge but then the battery drains too quickly. Is it the laptop charger or is it the battery?...
  7. Laptop battery takes forever to charge but drains quickly

Laptop battery takes forever to charge but drains quickly: Hi, I just want to know why my laptop takes forever to charge but then the battery drains too quickly. Is it the laptop charger or is it the battery?...
  8. Laptop battery takes forever to charge but drains quickly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Battery charged to 2000%, shuts down suddenly and charges quickly. HELP.

Battery charged to 2000%, shuts down suddenly and charges quickly. HELP.: Hey there: I have a 1-year-old Huawei Matebook 13 laptop and I'm having some trouble with it. This past week, it has been shutting down suddenly before it reaches 40% of the battery charge and recharges to 100% in about 10 min. Today, the battery report showed this in...
  10. Battery not charging

Battery not charging: Split from this thread. battery on laptop not charging need your help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-not-charging/8f54a3ac-3616-40fe-a75f-b207432cd9a5