Windows 10: Battery losing charge soon after being topped off. Can't reboot from sleep with full...

Discus and support Battery losing charge soon after being topped off. Can't reboot from sleep with full... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi friends from support team, Over the past few days my laptop has been having some concerning issues. I have an HP Envy x360 15" that I bought in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MatFox, Mar 25, 2020.

1. MatFox Win User

Battery losing charge soon after being topped off. Can't reboot from sleep with full...

Hi friends from support team,

Over the past few days my laptop has been having some concerning issues. I have an HP Envy x360 15" that I bought in late December 2019. My experience has been relatively problem free until about two days ago when some issues began.

A week or so ago I shut down my computer and it began an automatic update. I then didn't use my laptop for around 3 or 4 days. When I turned on my laptop it finished the update that I had completely forgotten about with no issue. I had a few problems opening apps on my computer for a little bit, but I managed to fix it. Everything else went fine that day, so I shut down the computer like normal.

Two days ago I started using my laptop to do some work, and I had to walk away for a few minutes, so I closed the laptop, putting it to sleep. When I got back to it I noticed that the bottom of the laptop was particularly hot. Not burning, just hotter than normal. When I opened the laptop the screen did not turn on, so I hit the power button and nothing happened. I knew the battery didn't die as I had just charged it and it was basically new. Not knowing what to do, I waited a few minutes and tried the power again and it turned back on from being powered off, not put to sleep. I thought this was odd but I assumed that the computer somehow got too warm so it wouldn't let me turn it back on until it cooled down. I continued working on it for about thirty minutes and closed the screen again to go eat dinner. When I got back the bottom was hot again and it wouldn't turn on. After a few minutes of trying I noticed that the orange power light was blinking, meaning the battery had died. Confused, I plugged the laptop back in and it turned on fine, saying the battery was completely empty. From that point on, with the laptop plugged in, it turned on from sleep fine, only it would close out of all of my applications every time.

Yesterday I went to turn my computer on from hibernate and it worked fine, except for closing all of my applications. I closed the laptop to put it to sleep, and again the same thing happened. Bottom hot, not turning on. I waited several minutes, then the orange light started blinking again. By this point I'm getting concerned. I plugged it back in, worked fine, sleep kept closing all applications. I unplug the laptop after it reaches 100%, use it for about 20 minutes, made sure to check the battery power 96%, and closed the screen. Unsurprisingly, it was later hot and would not turn on. I waited about 30 minutes and decided to give up and go to bed and just figure it out in the morning. However, after over 30 minutes of the computer being shut and seemingly off I noticed that the computer was still hot. And to top it off, now a white light was continuously blinking on the side. This persisted for about 10 more minutes, then stopped all together. After about an hour, I finally noticed the bottom was starting to cool down. Consider me concerned.

This morning I went to start the laptop to sort this issue out and surprise the battery was dead. I plugged it in, turned it on, researched for a little bit without success, and here we are. As I said the laptop is only 3 months old and the battery holds its charge fine when I actually have the computer on, so I really don't think that's the cause of the issue. I just did the Windows troubleshoot thing and it said everything was good without problems.

I am completely lost now. Please help!

Thanks,

Mat

:)

MatFox, Mar 25, 2020

2. Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Battery losing charge soon after being topped off. Can't reboot from sleep with full... pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Battery losing charge soon after being topped off. Can't reboot from sleep with full... pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Mar 25, 2020
  4. baskhara Win User

Battery losing charge soon after being topped off. Can't reboot from sleep with full...

Acer battery won't charge

What if the battery unremoveable? Should I disassemble and remove it? also there is a switch underneath the case and around the RAM slot that prevent the laptop to turn on when the case is open and without the charger. Is that the same as removing the battery? although when turned on with charger, the laptop still see the battery. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I took the report, the design capacity was 41.440 mWh but full charge capacity is now 25.752 mWh. Is it that bad? Before this happened I believe HWMonitor also show the same number with 38% Wear Level.
    Here's the report file

baskhara, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Battery losing charge soon after being topped off. Can't reboot from sleep with full... - Similar Threads - Battery losing charge

2. Battery full charge capacity issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery full charge capacity issue: Hi two days ago my laptop was lasting about 3-4 hours on battery but the next day jt lasted only about 10 minutes, and full battery charge was dropped by 70% or more it went from 47000 to 4000 and cycle counts is not increasing it only shows - a dash symbol I sure hope it's...
  3. Battery full charge capacity issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery full charge capacity issue: Hi two days ago my laptop was lasting about 3-4 hours on battery but the next day jt lasted only about 10 minutes, and full battery charge was dropped by 70% or more it went from 47000 to 4000 and cycle counts is not increasing it only shows - a dash symbol I sure hope it's...
  4. Battery full charge capacity issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Battery full charge capacity decreased?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery full charge capacity decreased?: As you can probably see from the above image, my battery's full charge capacity has been decreased. Even though I just bought this laptop like 3 months ago, the laptops full charge capacity has been decreased by a huge amount like 5000mWh. I don't know what is causing this I...
  6. Battery full charge capacity is decreasing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery full charge capacity is decreasing: Hello there,There is already a question in Microsoft forum but I can't reply it because it's locked: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/full-charge-capacity-is-decreasing-very-rapidly/396d28dd-a83a-40b5-bd7a-3f53b9cdff93My issue is very similiar, the only...
  7. Battery full charge capacity is decreasing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery full charge capacity is decreasing: Hello there,There is already a question in Microsoft forum but I can't reply it because it's locked: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/full-charge-capacity-is-decreasing-very-rapidly/396d28dd-a83a-40b5-bd7a-3f53b9cdff93My issue is very similiar, the only...
  8. battery losing charge quickly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    battery losing charge quickly: battery loses charge quickly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-losing-charge-quickly/d2a86c1c-83fd-44fc-95e9-114216992840
  9. Battery charge percentage shows 1% after reboot

Battery charge percentage shows 1% after reboot: Hoping some computer wiz can help me out here, Im at a loss... My system: Dell Inspiron 7373 2in 1 with 64 bit Windows 10 pro, Intel i7 This laptop has done this since new. This thing is still under warranty but I really dont want to have to transfer all my stuff from it...
  10. 01 min to full charge but battery not charging

01 min to full charge but battery not charging: [img] My laptop battery icon is showing this and still not charging since two days. If i plug out the adapter, the percentage showing decreases. But when plugged in, it is not increasing and still 34% since two days. What should i do to make it charging again? 58356