Windows 10: Battery Problem (Plugged in but not charging)

Discus and support Battery Problem (Plugged in but not charging) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I've got a problem with my battery in that is currently won't charge. When plugged in the battery status simply says 'plugged in'. I'm aware of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/OverrunInMidfield, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Battery Problem (Plugged in but not charging)

So I've got a problem with my battery in that is currently won't charge. When plugged in the battery status simply says 'plugged in'.

I'm aware of the fix of uninstalling the battery drivers, removing the battery and power cycling but I have a problem. My battery is sealed behind the laptop casing and currently getting it open is proving very tricky (there are two screws which simply refuse to come out).

I've checked the power pack on a different laptop - it works fine. I'm also pretty sure the battery itself is actually fine, I just need to get it to 'remember' to charge again. How can I do this without removing the battery at any stage? I really need a fix for this if anyone has any solutions. No other problems with the laptop or power settings.

Laptop: HP Envy x360. Model: 18-ar052sa.

submitted by /u/OverrunInMidfield
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/OverrunInMidfield, Jan 14, 2020

2. Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Battery Problem (Plugged in but not charging) pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Jan 14, 2020
  3. gordon99 Win User
    Battery plugged in but not charging.

Hello Bree & Callender, This morning I fiddled around trying to get the charger to work in the boot process by pressing F2 and the waiting for 10 minutes or so before continuing to log on. The amount of battery charge was still 5% which it was prior to all that. I did this because it was a suggestion from Dell as a possible solution. I then considered updating the BIOS as this is another Dell suggestion to overcome the battery not charging problem.

I then had another look at the adapter to confirm its output which is 130 Watts. Anyway, after an hour or so seemingly getting nowhere I noticed that the battery signal to the left ot the keyboard had lit up. I immediiatly checked the battery icon on the screen and found it was now showing that it was charging and 1 hour 31 minutes to full charge. I decided to leave everything as it was for a couple of hours after which time it was showing 100% charge on the battery.

Later on however I noticed that, although still showing 100% charge, the battery “connected but not charging” message was back. Needless to say I am even more flummoxed. I read all the links you posted Bree and found them very interesting. Nevertheless I am now wondering why the chargeing process had burst into and then died again. Someone, somewhere knows what’s happening I am sure.

gordon99, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Graydrake Win User

Battery Problem (Plugged in but not charging)

My Computer is Plugged in but not Charging

My laptop computer is plugged in but not charging. The power supply will maintain the charge level (%), but not add to it. Removing and reinserting the battery allows the power supply to add to the % charge to 100%.

Steps performed:

• Turning the computer off and restarting it returns the computer to the Plugged in, Not Charging state.
    • Removing the battery again allows one complete charge, after which the laptop would no longer charge again.
    • I have used more than one power supply with the same condition.

To resolve the issue, I remove the battery, obtain a complete charge, and maintain this charge by always keeping the power supply plugged in.

What is the root of the problem?

Graydrake, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Battery Problem (Plugged in but not charging)

1. Battery Problem (Plugged in but not charging) - Similar Threads - Battery Problem Plugged

2. Battery plugged in not charging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery plugged in not charging: I purchased a new battery just recently due to thinking the original was shot. When I put the new one in I was so excited that I was able to unplug my unit and it was still running. I later noticed that it stated "plugged in, not charging" and I have tried everything I could...
  3. battery not charging, plugged in

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    battery not charging, plugged in: battery not charging, plugged in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-not-charging-plugged-in/88491c52-331c-44b9-b54f-e250c0d5d1e9
  4. battery plugged in but not charging.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    battery plugged in but not charging.: The battery is plugged in but is not charging. Battery power down from 80% to 64%. Why the battery has not been charging? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-plugged-in-but-not-charging/fb632c93-3afc-4fc2-a314-fb557fc2d879
  5. Battery not charging. Plugged in, not charging

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery not charging. Plugged in, not charging: Hello, I am using HP pavilion 360 , it has been months since the message is reading "plugged in, not charging" and now the percentage has decreased to 75%. I have tried to reinstall Microsoft ACPI- Complaint Control Method Battery but it didn't work. Now what should I do?...
  6. Battery plugged in,not charging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery plugged in,not charging: Hello,I yesterdday installed an update on my laptop and then when I plugged it in for charging it showed me 'Plugged in,not charging'.It is currently at 2% and turns off the moment I unplug it.I have tried the solution of taking the battery out and uninstalling the battery...
  7. Battery plugged in, not charging

Battery plugged in, not charging: I have my USB-C charging cable plugged into the charging port of my laptop. However, the batter icon on my bottom right says (when I moused over it) "5% available (plugged in, not charging). Can't solve this issue. Anyone with solution ? I am on Window 10 Pro, ThinkPad X1...
  8. Battery plugged in but not charging.

Battery plugged in but not charging.: I have recently noticed that the battery on my Dell Laptop, which runs on Windows 10. (64 bit) is not charging and displays the note "plugged in but not charging. I have read a number of possible easy solutions, none of which seem to work. The adapter and leads etc seem to be...
  9. battery plugged in not charging

battery plugged in not charging: My battery won't charge. Says plugged in not charging https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/battery-plugged-in-not-charging/88e70d57-e863-4a95-8925-9bf98ee0aa69
  10. battery plugged in but not charging

in Windows 10 Customization
    battery plugged in but not charging: Status on laptop shows battery plugged in but not charging (battery is at 80%). When I disconnect the mains, the laptop shuts down....