Windows 10: BBC iPlayer

Discus and support BBC iPlayer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; iPlayer required me to sign in having replaced my old comp. No problem as I live in UK. However, I am now only allowed to stream as usual but not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ess1, Apr 3, 2018.

1. ess1 Win User

BBC iPlayer

iPlayer required me to sign in having replaced my old comp. No problem as I live in UK. However, I am now only allowed to stream as usual but not download to the computer.
    I received notification that I had to obtain an app through Windows Store! There are none there.

Trying to get my very old brain around Edge, now this.

Assistance appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

ess1, Apr 3, 2018

2. Why is bbc iplayer app no longer avalible via the store when bbc iplayer downloads

Original Title: bbc iplayer

hi

on my old laptop running windows 8 I was able to download bbc iplayer app direct from the store

on my new laptop windows 10 its not there

I can download programes via bbc player downloads but have to do that via browser

why is bbc iplayer app no longer avalible via the store when bbc iplayer downloads is

thanks

zita

zitawilliams, Apr 3, 2018
  3. Nokia 5800 - iplayer

As the iPlayer is a BBC application, you might want to try the BBC's iPlayer support page:

BBC iPlayer Help

There's an iPlayer help forum on there too.

neoncherry, Apr 3, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

BBC iPlayer

I'll check it out later and revert.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Apr 3, 2018
  6. ess1 Win User
    Thank you both for very prompt replies.

Regards,
    Sellick

ess1, Apr 3, 2018
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@cereberus.
    @ess1.

use a very nice app quite legal called get_iplayer.
    100% legal and will retrieve BBC iPlayer content without expiry dates. You have to be in UK (or UK VPN) for access to some BBC TV programmes and to get best quality Radio feeds.

get_iplayer Windows installation guide | get_iPlayer • Forums • Guides • Help

The best way to use it though is forget about any GUI.

Use it from the CLI --works also exactly the same on Linux.

for Radio type : get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=xxxxxxxxx
    for TV type: get_iplayer --subtitles --pid=xxxxxxxx

(I like subtitles as some of the British accents get a bit "Wonky" if they are from outside London !!!!!).

To get PID simply start the standard BBC Iplayer app

You'll see something like this

BBC iPlayer [​IMG]

Then the 8 alphanumeric number is the PID which is what you should use in the pid=parameter in the CLI.
    In the above example it's the number after episode/ in the url of the screenshot but should be easily identifiable.
    Expand the screenshot I've shown as the url probably isn't too clear on a lot of smaller monitors / tablets.Just click the image and use the + sign !!.

No need to logon ( i.e sign in) to the actual BBC Iplayer itself. Just use it to get the PID like I've shown above

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 3, 2018
  8. cereberus Win User

BBC iPlayer

I have been downloading like this for years using aimersoft video converter ultimate. However I will try this as I like subtitles too especially for US programmes where they have a really bad tendency to have background music louder than the speech!

If you think accents outside the Smoke (*really) are wonky, try towns north of Aberdeen where they speak a dialect called Doric. A friend of mine married an Aberdonian lass, and he said he could barely understand 30% of her granny' Doric speech.

He said what was really weird was when he came back from Norway after several years and was fluent in Norwegian, he could now understand 70% of her Doric. In fact Doric is really a corruption of Norwegian, and is not really based on English, but over the years it has become a sort of hybrid dialect.

Everybody calls Doric a dialect of English but I think it really a language in its own right.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2018
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there @cereberus

just tested latest version of get_player on Linux Neon (ubuntu kde GUI ) Version 3.17 -- works 100 fine.

Also works on W10 Pro. Note if on Linux you need to install perl-mojolicious -- on ubuntu and derivatives just follow install instructions in the "Manual" install documentation from the git hub link..

I've updated my OP to provide the git hub link.

It's 100% legal BTW.

I agree with you about "Doric" --even though to me Norwegian is not that impossible to understand (just their incredibly expensive prices)--even for us poor Icelanders !!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 3, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    Just used it - very quick. I will need to write a simple batch file so I do no have to remember command syntax/

Actually I used to use this years ago but it was flakey then - definitely improved.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2018
  11. cereberus Win User
    Hey pal, I created a batch file to download five episodes of a radio programme, and I had to add --force and --overwrite so I could test batch file fully to stop it coming up with error messages.

It downloads the first fine but immediately stops. I think it is because get_player is itself a batch file and when it get to end, it does not return execution to this parent level batch file. Any way to get this to execute a series of commands?

EDIT: I sussed it - just need to add CALL as below.

Change my user name MW to yours and run this and enjoy the downloaded programmes. I give you a clue - 42.

del C:\Users\MW\.get_iplayer\download_history
    call get_iplayer --type=radio --force --overwrite --pid=b09th4hf
    call get_iplayer --type=radio --force --overwrite --pid=b09v734q
    call get_iplayer --type=radio --force --overwrite --pid=b09w16mn
    call get_iplayer --type=radio --force --overwrite --pid=b09wvpbp

cereberus, Apr 3, 2018
  12. ess1 Win User
    Many thanks for taking time and trouble for the info but I fear this is all too much over my poor old head*Redface

Much appreciated 'tho.

13. ilainftw Win User

BBC iPlayer

There is also a PPA for Ubuntu and derivatives:

https://launchpad.net/~jon-hedgerows...tu/get-iplayer

No need to delete download history if you use --force (which, along with --overwrite, would usually be a bad idea in normal usage, as would be deleting download history before each run). Also, --pid takes multiple comma-separated values (or you can specify --pid multiple times), so you can download multiple programmes with one command. There is also no need to use --type with --pid.

ilainftw, Apr 4, 2018
  14. cereberus Win User
    Thanks, I kinda worked out about dowliad history. I was just doing some testing and wanted a clean slate.

I later simplfied my batch file.

It is handy to know about Pids being sequenced as above.

The csv pids failed first tor me as I had it like ABCDEF, GHIJKL, MNOPQR i.e. a space after each comma. When I removed spaces as in ABCDEF,GHIJKL,MNOPQR, it then worked fine.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
  15. cereberus Win User
    On Windows, I get virtually full 72 Mbps downloading to ssd. I have solved my output problem. All is cool now.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

BBC iPlayer

1. BBC iPlayer - Similar Threads - BBC iPlayer

2. why cant i use my bbc micro:bits code recievednumber to put in dater logger

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    why cant i use my bbc micro:bits code recievednumber to put in dater logger: i cant use the code receivedNumber in data logger on makecode.microbit.org https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-use-my-bbc-microbits-code/353704f1-2112-4964-ac1b-35da86a7905e
  3. why cant i use my bbc micro:bits code recievednumber to put in dater logger

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why cant i use my bbc micro:bits code recievednumber to put in dater logger: i cant use the code receivedNumber in data logger on makecode.microbit.org https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-use-my-bbc-microbits-code/353704f1-2112-4964-ac1b-35da86a7905e
  4. Windows 10, BBC Iplayer thinks I am outside the UK

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10, BBC Iplayer thinks I am outside the UK: After buying a new Windows 10 laptop, I can not access BBC Iplayer as it thinks I am outside the UK. - My IP adress is in the UK and other devices on our broadband does not have this problem - I have allowed apps to access my location - My default location is London, UK -...
  5. BBC iPlayer app on Surface pro 7

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    BBC iPlayer app on Surface pro 7: Hi all Im having trouble downloading BBC iPlayer onto my Surface pro 10. Can anyone help me on this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bbc-iplayer-app-on-surface-pro-7/ddbce0c1-f447-4885-97b3-267509303e9f
  6. BBC iPlayer

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    BBC iPlayer: Why is the BBC iPlayer no longer available on the Microsoft Store? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bbc-iplayer/c1a63175-7012-48f9-9665-a2d50bd9bc2f
  7. why can i not access bbc iplayer even though I am in the UK i do spend a lot of time in turkey

why can i not access bbc iplayer even though I am in the UK i do spend a lot of time in turkey: even though I am in the UK i do spend a lot of time in turkey https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-access-bbc-iplayer-even-though-i-am/fe704f78-86b2-445a-8569-661a33c1e01f
  8. Issue with proxy and VSPN when trying to watch BBC iplayer, netflix and itv on my laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with proxy and VSPN when trying to watch BBC iplayer, netflix and itv on my laptop: So I was watching a programme in bbc i player. About 2 minutes into the programme it stopped playing and a message popped up saying 'oops somethings gone wrong', when I refreshed the page it said that I can't view its content because i'm not in the UK (but I am in the UK …) I...
  9. bbc iPlayer downloads

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bbc iPlayer downloads: hi i have a Lenovo ideapad 110 running windows 10 3 months ago I downloaded the BBC iPlayer download and it worked perfectly 3 weeks ago it stopped working when you download it says download failed and the program that are there will not play I have uninstalled it and cleared...
  10. Windows 10 opens multiple tabs when downloading BBC iPlayer

Windows 10 opens multiple tabs when downloading BBC iPlayer: I've have downloaded the BBC iPlayer app, but when I try to download a TV programme, I just get lots and lots of new tabs opening and I have to shut down my computer to close them. I have 100s of tabs within less than a minute. Please help me in very, very easy steps as I am...