Windows 10: BBC radio dropping WMA - now using HLS here' the fix

Discus and support BBC radio dropping WMA - now using HLS here' the fix in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there Another death knell for WMA (Windows Media). BBC is switching (has already done for some streams) to HLS. WMA is being dropped. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Feb 16, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

BBC radio dropping WMA - now using HLS here' the fix

Hi there

Another death knell for WMA (Windows Media). BBC is switching (has already done for some streams) to HLS. WMA is being dropped.

For those who use things like SONOS / SQUEEZEBOX / INTERNET RADIO devices the BBC is (has already for some stations) dropping the WMA format so a lot of streams won't work any more. I like for example BBC Radio 5 Live which gives me football / sports commentary plus a lot of news discussions etc.

If you want to continue using some of your hardware to continue to play these stations then the new streams are available HERE : RadioFeeds for the Logitech Squeezebox, Transporter and UE Smart Radio

Here's info from the BBC site.

BBC Blogs - INTERNET BLOG - Audio Factory: update

More info :
    BBC iPlayer - Help - BBC Radio Streams

If you use the old streams you'll get a message saying service not supporting WMA any more.

Here's the new format BBC R5 working on my old Logitech Squeezebox Radio (Pre-UE model) Install the app as shown. Then it all works fine again.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2015

2. Windows Media player - internet radio

Is there a 'internet radio' application that plays WMA links? I'd really like to listen to the BBC stations but other than streaming links not found any application that brings them all together.

empire01---01, Feb 16, 2015
  3. Internet Radio drops out on E6/Belle

Hi

I rarely have problems with BBC radio (BBC Worldservice and Radio 4) via the Internet Radio app, but Danish radio drops out, usually after max. 2 minutes when on 3G. There doesn't seem to be a problem using WiFi. Could this be a bit rate problem? I have
    a totally stable 3.5G connection.

Ideas please?

hughm_nyksj_dk, Feb 16, 2015
Thema:

BBC radio dropping WMA - now using HLS here' the fix

1. BBC radio dropping WMA - now using HLS here' the fix - Similar Threads - BBC radio dropping

2. BBC iPlayer

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    BBC iPlayer: Why is the BBC iPlayer no longer available on the Microsoft Store? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bbc-iplayer/c1a63175-7012-48f9-9665-a2d50bd9bc2f
  3. Check Bluetooth Radio Not Fixed!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Check Bluetooth Radio Not Fixed!: I got this problem when I tried to connect my bluetooth earphones to my laptop at first it connected to my earphones but i couldnt hear anything so i tried troubleshooting it and then after it worked out fine but then i disconnected to try it on my phone and thats when...
  4. BBC get_iplayer users (download BBC Radio / TV) fix URL errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BBC get_iplayer users (download BBC Radio / TV) fix URL errors: Hi folks BBC Changed some of their code today (27 Nov 2019) so users of the latest release (3.22) might find some of these errors appearing when trying to download TV / Radio programs. (Affects both Linux and Windows releases). ERROR: Failed to download URL (3/3): Access...
  5. BBC Radio stopped on -- Smart speakers etc Alexa no good for BBC

BBC Radio stopped on -- Smart speakers etc Alexa no good for BBC: Hi folks I see BBC has stopped its Radio services on Tunein - which a load of apps like smart speakers, Alexa devices etc use. Reason given is they can't collect data about their users --I assumed that the BBC was a broadcasting organisation not a Data collection service...
  6. WMA

in Windows 10 Customization
    WMA: Artists now appear only as a list. The small picture no longer appears. How to correct. p.s. View Options does not have an Expanded File option. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wma/b225d845-d111-4c31-8619-14abf8b22818
  7. Use radio speakers with pc?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Use radio speakers with pc?: So i was given some Pure ST-1 and XT-1 speakers, and they are made to use with an Evoke 1-XT radio, which i don't have. Is there any way to connect them up to my PC? 117784
  8. bbc iPlayer downloads

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bbc iPlayer downloads: hi i have a Lenovo ideapad 110 running windows 10 3 months ago I downloaded the BBC iPlayer download and it worked perfectly 3 weeks ago it stopped working when you download it says download failed and the program that are there will not play I have uninstalled it and cleared...
  9. Audiophiles --BBC Concert Sound -- Browser to use

in Browsers and Email
    Audiophiles --BBC Concert Sound -- Browser to use: Hi folks Those of you who have access to BBC and like Classical Music can now get the BBC radio streams for some shows (BBC Proms for example) in the best quality sound (FLAC @ 550 kbits /s - 1.5Mbits /s) . You'll need really good quality speakers but be sure to throw away...
  10. BBC iPlayer

BBC iPlayer: iPlayer required me to sign in having replaced my old comp. No problem as I live in UK. However, I am now only allowed to stream as usual but not download to the computer. I received notification that I had to obtain an app through Windows Store! There are none there....