Windows 10: BCD Corrupted? Cannot boot Windows 10

Discus and support BCD Corrupted? Cannot boot Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, my computer had a BSOD and upon rebooting, it doesn't boot into Windows 10 anymore. It reboot loops when trying to load Windows (circle with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nfshp253, Mar 14, 2020.

1. nfshp253 Win User

BCD Corrupted? Cannot boot Windows 10

Hello all, my computer had a BSOD and upon rebooting, it doesn't boot into Windows 10 anymore. It reboot loops when trying to load Windows (circle with dots). I've entered recovery and tried to use the following commands in Command Prompt:
    bootrec /fixmbr --> Ok
    bootrec /fixboot --> Ok
    bootrec /rebuildbcd --> Total identified Windows installations: 1, The requested system device cannot be identified due to multiple indistiguishable devices potentially matching the identification criteria.

To solve the rebuildbcd problem, I've tried the instructions below but again to no avail:
    https://superuser.com/questions/725322/issue-with-a-windows-7-boot-issue-involving-the-bcd-perhaps
    Can someone help me get my computer running again? I've tried multiple recovery tools but none of them has fixed the issue.
    Running bcdedit /enum gives the following:
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
    The requested system device cannot be identified due to multiple indistinguishable devices potentially matching the identification criteria.

:)

nfshp253, Mar 14, 2020

2. Windows defender offline error: EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD - 0xc0000185

Hi Dave,

Could you provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to boot the device to desktop with this error message?

This issue might have occurred due to corruption in the boot files or BOIS unable to detect your drive to boot.

I suggest you to refer to the below thread, check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by -.[Final]#[Boss].- and check if
    it helps.

Error code after update File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot BCD
    Error Code 0xc0000185 BSOD

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Mar 14, 2020
  3. Windows 10 failure to boot due to a corrupt BCD

Hi, I couldn't boot my PC yesterday after clearing the CMOS, and had multiple errors.

First was the unrecognized boot drive then after booting from my USB Drive and tinkering with the Bootrec tool with commands like:

• `Bootrec /fixBOOT`
    • `Bootrec /fixMBR`
    • `Bootrec /rebuildBCD`
    But in executing the last command it Identified 1 installation of path
    "\\?"

and when I answered yes "Y" to "Add installation to boot list?"
    I got "The requested system device cannot be found."

Then I tried to remove my BCD manually and rebuilding to no avail, but now I restarted my pc and got a
    blue screen progress hooray;However my joy was short lived after I read that the
    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD was corrupt.

I tired a lot of solutions online, but here is the status now:

• Main disk has 2 Volumes:
      • Volume 0: System 258 GB Hidden
      • Volume 1: Recovery 400MB Hidden
    So my main drive got hidden for some reason and every time I try to unhide it I get an error which I don't remember now,

also when I assign a letter to it then reboot it gets unassigned and remain
    Hidden and with no letter.

PS: My drive is of GPT format and it's supposed to have windows 10

Thanks in advance

MohamedElabasiri, Mar 14, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

How to clean up BCD entries? Rebuild the BCD?

This is normal that under Recovery Environment, The letters are re-assigned. This is why you have to be careful and select the correct one.
    @dictum
    Advice: Never use Easy BCD with Windows installed using GPT disk. Use Easy UEFI instead provided you know what you are doing. Easy BCD only works with MBR disk type.
    Base on the screen shot above. Your disk 0 is your new Windows and your disk 1 contains the old Windows. Disk 3 contains a 512MB Fat32 partition and I don't know what that is. I suggest you disconnect disk 3 for now before proceeding.

Let rebuild new BCD's for both disk 0, and disk 1. Please follow step by step on the 2 screen shots below. On step 3, write down the drive letter for PM981_New. In the screen shot, My Windows is still assigned to C but it might be different from yours. In step 10, if the drive letter is different than C, then use the letter in step 3.

Do exactly the same for disk 1, this time select disk 1 in step 4 and assign letter V in step 7, Use V and the drive letter for Old Windows in step 10. This will create a new BCD for PM981_Old and you will be able to boot separately from boot menu.

From boot menu, select which one to boot from.
    Once booted into Windows. If you wish, you can set up dual boot for Windows old & New. Under This PC, look for the drive letter of the offline Windows and type:
    bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the letter of the offline Windows

BCD Corrupted? Cannot boot Windows 10 [​IMG]

BCD Corrupted? Cannot boot Windows 10 [​IMG]

topgundcp, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

1. BCD Corrupted? Cannot boot Windows 10 - Similar Threads - BCD Corrupted Cannot

2. Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted: Windows 11 PC crashed recentely and when I rebooted it, I was met with the following message:Reboot and Select proper Boot deviceor Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_Tried rebooting again and was met with the same message.Tried troubleshooting through...
  3. Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted: Windows 11 PC crashed recentely and when I rebooted it, I was met with the following message:Reboot and Select proper Boot deviceor Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_Tried rebooting again and was met with the same message.Tried troubleshooting through...
  4. Windows 21H2 Update Causing BCD Corruption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 21H2 Update Causing BCD Corruption: Hi MS Community, it's been a long day. I work for an organization and we're running into a big issue with all of our devices. Our devices ranges from mini-PC's to laptops. We have different service centers all across the state. We have many remote users. We have more than...
  5. Windows 10 boot error code /BCD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boot error code /BCD: I had windows installed on an SSD but needed more storage room so installed a 3tb Mechanical hard drive. I set the boot to the SSD still as theres no OS on the hard drive. I then saw the error when i try and boot....
  6. Boot problems - BCD Win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot problems - BCD Win 10: Hello everyone, thank you in advance for reading: I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre which came with Win10 installed on an SSD, with a HDD for documents. At some far removed time in the past, I started getting the following error: Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain...
  7. bcd corruption

bcd corruption: if the bcd is corrupted then can it be fixed using cmd ? does rebuild work every time? or is it like a 50/50 thing? i just wanted to know the chances for it to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bcd-corruption/85c0b00f-ddd5-4a91-bca2-bcea912f4f77
  8. BCD Error at the time of booting Windows 10

BCD Error at the time of booting Windows 10: Dear Sir, My PC has Windows 10. When I boot, only mouse pointer appears on blank screen. I tried to use Windows 10 installation USB drive to repair but the following error appears. Pl help. [ATTACH]...
  9. Corrupt registry and BCD problems.

Corrupt registry and BCD problems.: This morning, i went to work on a program i am building and i found that my enviroment path had been deleted again. (This **** has happened more times then i can count). The last time it happened i setup a task to back up my entire registry every saturday. I went into...
  10. Booting Windows 10 with broken BCD file

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting Windows 10 with broken BCD file: Tried booting into windows, bcd file is broken and/or missing, I have tried to fix it but the file path was invalid/ write protected. Even with it disabled, tried making a new boot bcd, still unable to with the same issue, not sure what else to do. Please help! 100733

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the requested system device cannot be identified due to multiple

2. the requested system device cannot be identified multiple devices matching criteria

3. multiile indistinguishable devices potentially matching

4. multiple indistinguishable devices,
  5. Windows 10 indistinguishable devices,
  6. nu vot